Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alabama wants to go to the SCOTUS (abortion ban passed)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redEL34 View Post
    I think this is a states rights issue. The U.S. is a huge country with, what should be the regional mentality for an issue
    Perhaps immigration should be a "states rights" issue as well.

Let the states that don't want immigrants build a wall around themselves at STATE expense.
    Democratic DOO DAH Dance every Saturday night! Advanced tickets $5 or $10 at the door.

Comment

I feel this is a bad law and does not need to be on the books. But, I saw a woman on CNN this morning saying that every woman in Alabama is fearing for their lives right now. With that kind of BS, we can never have a conversation to take care of bad decisions like this law. Why do ya'll do that? Can ya'll(the left) have a conversation and not be WAAAAHHHHHHHH!! about everything?

Comment

Originally posted by Easy Listener View Post

I was asking what the poster thought the speaker meant when they used the phrase, "legitimate rape".

I'll throw out my two cents regarding one, narrowly defined subject :what the speaker meant. ANd my answer has nothing to do with whether his conclusion is right or wrong. I can't speak to that because I've not studied it.

"Legiitimate rape" = "yes, she was raped. It was not a false claim." It could involve violence or not. In fact, it could even involve the woman having an orgazm, but it is still rape. Arousal does not equal consent for the simple reason that it can be involuntary.

https://www.thenation.com/article/ho...exual-assault/
        Oh, look, damage control.
        Quando omni flunkus, moritati.

Comment

Originally posted by bildo View Post
          I feel this is a bad law and does not need to be on the books. But, I saw a woman on CNN this morning saying that every woman in Alabama is fearing for their lives right now. With that kind of BS, we can never have a conversation to take care of bad decisions like this law. Why do ya'll do that? Can ya'll(the left) have a conversation and not be WAAAAHHHHHHHH!! about everything?
          I have been participating in and a witness to a reasonable ( non WAAAHHHHHHHHH!!) discussion about how the courts are going to take care of this as being unconstitutional. You should re-read the thread if you missed this discussion.

Is This Thing On?

https://soundcloud.com/tom-hicks888

Comment

Originally posted by guitarville View Post
            Go to Japan, they do it every day, no big deal. Just pay the hospital fee in cash.
            I'd love to visit Japan, but I don't foresee any need for an abortion right now.

Comment

Originally posted by thankyou View Post

Oh, look, damage control.
              What damage are you referring to that needs to be "controlled"?

Comment

Do you know what was meant by "legitimate rape" when that statement was made? If you don't, you either know English as a second language or you are an idiot.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you know what was meant. i.e. the speaker is guilty of a poor choice of words.
                The next time you insult someone like that, you’ll be looking at at least a one month temp ban.

Please keep the discussion civil.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack

Agreed.

I saw a facebook "discussion" where someone actually suggested that he UAW should strike to get the auto makers with Alabama plants to try to take actions.

Lemme get this straight...they would strike to get their employer to threaten to move out of the state and terminate the entire team because of something that their elected representatives did......

What a temper tantrum.....
                  so, somebody on FB said something dumb.
                  meh
                  To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Originally posted by -NPC-;n32500008

Trump is not creepy. He is lovable and charming.

Comment

Are you claiming that nobody on the right makes dramatic, emotional statements about things they are passionate about?

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
                    For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
                    Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

Did you feel like I was saying that in my original post? Do you see other liberals in this thread saying that? I'm a liberal, and given what polling statistics say about women's views on abortion in Alabama, I'm quite sure that a large portion, probably a majority, of Alabama women do want a ban on abortion.

Do you feel equally repulsed when Republicans on TV say, "The American people think ______" as you do when Democrats say, "The American people think _____"?? Seems to me both sides have representatives who try to speak for everybody. It's a timeless political rhetorical strategy.
                      Last edited by arcadesonfire; 05-16-2019, 08:46 AM.
                      For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?
                      https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Muell...ook/B07PXN468K

My (old dead) band!:
                      www.steelphantoms.com/
                      PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

Comment

Originally posted by E-money View Post

Are you claiming that nobody on the right makes dramatic, emotional statements about things they are passionate about?
                        No.

Comment

What damage are you referring to that needs to be "controlled"?
                          Opinions about people's diminished intelligence vary. Sorry you chose to share yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

The next time you insult someone like that, you’ll be looking at at least a one month temp ban.

Please keep the discussion civil.
                            I insulted nobody. I stated:

"Do you know what was meant by "legitimate rape" when that statement was made? If you don't, you either know English as a second language or you are an idiot."

I stand by the statement. Anyone who heard or read the actual comment, understands the use of English in the US with the mind of an adult that has spoken US English within the culture here knows what he meant by "legitimate rape". And if they don't, then they truly are mentally challenged - either due to an abnormally low IQ or utter blindness due to strong bias for or against a thing.

I feel like Candice Owens when she was accused of insulting a congressman. i.e. "That's not what I said. That's not what I said at all."

Comment

I insulted nobody. I stated:

"Do you know what was meant by "legitimate rape" when that statement was made? If you don't, you either know English as a second language or you are an idiot."

I stand by the statement. Anyone who heard or read the actual comment, understands the use of English in the US with the mind of an adult that has spoken US English within the culture here knows what he meant by "legitimate rape". And if they don't, then they truly are mentally challenged - either due to an abnormally low IQ or utter blindness due to strong bias for or against a thing.

I feel like Candice Owens when she was accused of insulting a congressman. i.e. "That's not what I said. That's not what I said at all."
                              I was just scolded by a conservative a few posts up that we can’t know what Akin meant without asking him.

Seems to me you just called him “truly mentally challenged”.

Comment

I insulted nobody.

I consider this:

"...If you don't, you either know English as a second language or you are an idiot."

...to be quite an insult.

Please leave comments of that sort out of the discussion. You can make your point without questioning someone's country of origin / language skills and / or their intelligence.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                                - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                                - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                                - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Working...
                                X