Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alabama wants to go to the SCOTUS (abortion ban passed)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arcadesonfire View Post

Where was the poor word choice? Why did you say he used a poor choice of words?
    https://www.harmonycentral.com/forum...0#post32519820
    Jimmy Carter gave us Reagan and Obama gave us Trump. It's instructional to note that our two worst presidents in my lifetime also gave us our two best presidents of my lifetime.

Comment

By definition "poor choice of words" implies that had he chose some other words, the intended meaning would have been more clear. What do you think the better choice of words would have been and how it would have cleared things up?

Because I'm unable to think of ANY choice of words instead of "legitimate rape" or ANY definition of that term that helps clear up what he meant by "the body has a way of shutting the whole thing down".

You've been asked to explain this numerous times now by several people. Why are you avoiding the question? YOU'RE the one who brought up "poor choice of words" as a defense of his statement. At what point are you going to explain how this claim of yours actually makes ANY sense?

Comment

You gotta help me out, cuz I might be a legitimate idiot. Where in your post did you explain why “legitimate rape” was a poor choice of words by Aikin? You and I and everyone else understood what Aikin meant by “legitimate rape.” How is it that that is a poor choice of words??
        For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?
        https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Muell...ook/B07PXN468K

My (old dead) band!:
        www.steelphantoms.com/
        PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

Comment

You gotta help me out, cuz I might be a legitimate idiot. Where in your post did you explain why “legitimate rape” was a poor choice of words by Aikin? You and I and everyone else understood what Aikin meant by “legitimate rape.” How is it that that is a poor choice of words??
          The best I can come up with is that it's a deflection point. "legitimate rape" is a 'poor choice of words' because it's probably a poor idea to put those two words so close to each other in ANY context.

But that being what it is doesn't take away from what was ACTUALLY the problem with his statement, which was the "body has a way to shut it down" part. Define "legitimate rape" any way you want or put any other words in their place and none of that absolves the core of his statement.

The only question that remains then, is why is EL trying to deflect away from (and ignore all questions about) the core of the statement and focus on two words no body is arguing about?

He can't actually believe that if only Akin had not used the phrase "legitimate rape" that he never would have gotten in trouble, does he? Only someone who uses English as a second language or is a complete idiot could believe that.

Comment

Do you believe that "the body has a way to shut it down"?

Comment

Ya know it's a bad law when Pat Robertson says Alabama has gone too far with extreme abortion law.

Comment

I miss George's perspective.

Flag a Post
                The Report has been sent.
                [OK]

Comment

Sounds like it has been signed.

Comment

Originally posted by Easy Listener View Post

Context, my friend. Read what you quoted from me in its entirety.
                    When does an insult become context?
                    Profanity is the crutch of inarticulate mother fkers...

Comment

Originally posted by bildo View Post
                      Sounds like it has been signed.
                      I wonder how long until it gets shot down in court.

Flag a Post
                      The Report has been sent.
                      [OK]

Comment

Has Aikin explained what he meant?
                        ''All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"--Edmund Burke
                        Man created science to create what man wants science to create.

Comment

Originally posted by flemtone View Post

OK, I'll bite. How does a woman's body 'shut the whole thing down'?

That's not 'a poor choice of words', that's complete blatant ignorance of reproductive biology at even a grade-school level.

Please, please, please - tell us all how this happens. Biology textbook editors all over the world are hanging on your next post.

(Oh, by the way, your 'English as a second language or you are an idiot' quote above is an ad-hominem attack on a fellow forumite, just so you can correctly identify one in the future. See https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...m=Ad%20hominem )
                          I always thought it was a corollary of the idea that a woman is more likely to conceive under conditions of minimal stress. I don't know empirically whether that's true. But I don't think it would freak people out to suggest such a thing. Obviously still a massive overstatement at best.

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

Originally posted by stratosaurus View Post

Has Aikin explained what he meant?
                            I can't understand how it matters. Call the rape any kind of rape you want. Call it the worst kind of rape imaginable. Or call it not even rape at all. Or anything in between. How does that matter?

The idea that "the body has a way of shutting the whole thing down" is absurd and 100% indefensible.

Comment

Originally posted by Opposite Day View Post

I always thought it was a corollary of the idea that a woman is more likely to conceive under conditions of minimal stress. I don't know empirically whether that's true. But I don't think it would freak people out to suggest such a thing. Obviously still a massive overstatement at best.
                              Well, I suppose if it's just a few people sitting around a dinner table at your house with a glass of wine discussing such things, yeah...it probably shouldn't freak anyone out.

But someone who is a member of the House of Representatives running for the US Senate and speaking of it in public in terms of how public policy on abortion should be considered and formed? "Gee, let's not really get too concerned about whether we should have exceptions for rape because women aren't as likely to get pregnant under stress"?

You really don't think the context matters?

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post

Well, I suppose if it's just a few people sitting around a dinner table at your house with a glass of wine discussing such things, yeah...it probably shouldn't freak anyone out.

But someone who is a member of the House of Representatives running for the US Senate and speaking of it in public in terms of how public policy on abortion should be considered and formed? "Gee, let's not really get too concerned about whether we should have exceptions for rape because women aren't as likely to get pregnant under stress"?

You really don't think the context matters?
                                I'm not saying it wasn't a dumb remark. Obviously women do get pregnant as a result of rape. And of course it cued up a chorus of "gynophobic misogynist!!! ," not that that takes a lot.
                                Last edited by Opposite Day; 05-15-2019, 08:45 PM.

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

Working...
                                X