Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alabama wants to go to the SCOTUS (abortion ban passed)

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doctorno View Post

That is exactly my line of thought. I'm very concerned that certain elements of this current court would like to make this their swan song and the entire country is damaged because of it.
    I would caution supporters of this to be careful what they wish for.

Overturning Roe would turn abortion laws back over to the states. For the majority of the normal states, like the one I live in, I wouldn't expect to see any change at all. The people here want abortion to be safe and accessible. For the women living in unfortunate places like Alabama? Life will obviously be different.

But such extreme changes in our culture would likely come at a political price. Less than 30% of Americans want to see Roe overturned. And when you remove the 'rape and incest' exceptions, you get down to only about 10% of Americans who agree with abortion being illegal.

http://pollingreport.com/abortion.htm

The backlash to a complete overturn of the ruling could very well end up setting back the conservative movement for years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Easy Listener View Post

Do you know what was meant by "legitimate rape" when that statement was made? If you don't, you either know English as a second language or you are an idiot.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you know what was meant. i.e. the speaker is guilty of a poor choice of words.
      OK, I'll bite. How does a woman's body 'shut the whole thing down'?

That's not 'a poor choice of words', that's complete blatant ignorance of reproductive biology at even a grade-school level.

Please, please, please - tell us all how this happens. Biology textbook editors all over the world are hanging on your next post.

(Oh, by the way, your 'English as a second language or you are an idiot' quote above is an ad-hominem attack on a fellow forumite, just so you can correctly identify one in the future. See https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...m=Ad%20hominem )
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by MattACaster : *Runs 2 blocks down the street to Guitar Center, grabs detuned Schecter off the wall, plugs into Line6 Spider and proceeds to bring teh brootalz*

Comment

Originally posted by flemtone View Post

OK, I'll bite. How does a woman's body 'shut the whole thing down'?

That's not 'a poor choice of words', that's complete blatant ignorance of reproductive biology at even a grade-school level.

Please, please, please - tell us all how this happens. Biology textbook editors all over the world are hanging on your next post.

(Oh, by the way, your 'English as a second language or you are an idiot' quote above is an ad-hominem attack on a fellow forumite, just so you can correctly identify one in the future. See https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...m=Ad%20hominem )
        Do you know what was meant by "legitimate rape" when that statement was made? If you don't, you either know English as a second language or you are an idiot.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you know what was meant. i.e. the speaker is guilty of a poor choice of words.
        Jimmy Carter gave us Reagan and Obama gave us Trump. It's instructional to note that our two worst presidents in my lifetime also gave us our two best presidents of my lifetime.

Comment

Does it only count as “legitimate rape” if the rapist beats the uterus to the point where it’s permanently damaged? Or is it only legitimate rape if the rapist pulls out before ejaculation?

...No, I don’t know what “legitimate rape” meant.

I learned English first. 710 on SAT verbal (in English) and 720 on SAT writing (in English). So by Easy Listener’s statement, I must be an idiot. (Maybe the strokes really did cause serious brain damage?)

Care to enlighten me?
          Last edited by arcadesonfire; 05-15-2019, 10:44 AM.
          For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?
          https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Muell...ook/B07PXN468K

My (old dead) band!:
          www.steelphantoms.com/
          PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

Comment

There is no interpretation of "legitimate rape" that makes the statement not gibberish.

Comment

Originally posted by arcadesonfire View Post

Does it only count as “legitimate rape” if the rapist beats the uterus to the point where it’s permanently damaged? Or is it only legitimate rape if the rapist pulls out before ejaculation?

...No, I don’t know what “legitimate rape” meant.

I learned English first. 710 on SAT verbal (in English) and 720 on SAT writing (in English). So by Easy Listener’s statement, I must be an idiot. (Maybe the strokes really did cause serious brain damage?)

Care to enlighten me?
              I was asking what the poster thought the speaker meant when they used the phrase, "legitimate rape".

I'll throw out my two cents regarding one, narrowly defined subject :what the speaker meant. ANd my answer has nothing to do with whether his conclusion is right or wrong. I can't speak to that because I've not studied it.

"Legiitimate rape" = "yes, she was raped. It was not a false claim." It could involve violence or not. In fact, it could even involve the woman having an orgazm, but it is still rape. Arousal does not equal consent for the simple reason that it can be involuntary.

https://www.thenation.com/article/ho...exual-assault/
              Jimmy Carter gave us Reagan and Obama gave us Trump. It's instructional to note that our two worst presidents in my lifetime also gave us our two best presidents of my lifetime.

Comment

I was asking what the poster thought the speaker meant when they used the phrase, "legitimate rape".

I'll throw out my two cents regarding one, narrowly defined subject :what the speaker meant. ANd my answer has nothing to do with whether his conclusion is right or wrong. I can't speak to that because I've not studied it.

"Legiitimate rape" = "yes, she was raped. It was not a false claim." It could involve violence or not. In fact, it could even involve the woman having an orgazm, but it is still rape. Arousal does not equal consent for the simple reason that it can be involuntary.

So where is the poor word choice?

Of course I knew that Akin meant a woman was raped rather than choosing to have sex and then lying about it. Duh. The baffling part of his statement was the claim that the woman's body will automatically try to shut down impregnation on the basis that she was raped.

So Todd Akin said, "if it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut the whole thing down." That's clearly wrong. The woman's body does not have a way to "shut the whole thing down." Females have been impregnated by forced sex (i.e., "legitimate rape") for millions of years; human women have been impregnated by "legitimate rape" for millennia.

Why is that when the quote was brought up, you accused people of misunderstanding the phrase "legitimate rape"? Why did you say Akin used poor word choice?

Do you agree that Todd Akin was wrong?

edit: Meh. Now I probably just sound mean. The conversation has been baffling, and I'm expressing frustration over people who admittedly don't know much about reproduction legislating abortion laws. It is similar to how a Steinbergerhack feels about AOC legislating economics.
                Last edited by arcadesonfire; 05-15-2019, 11:46 AM.
                For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?

My (old dead) band!:
                www.steelphantoms.com/
                PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

Comment

So how does understanding this to be the definition of "legitimate rape" (which is essentially the same one I used) change anything about what he said?

That you have repeatedly avoided talking about the "the body has a way to shut the whole thing down" part of this statement is what is telling here.

A) how does the body do this?

B) how does the rape being "legitimate" trigger its ability to do so?

Comment

Nice

Profanity is the crutch of inarticulate mother fkers...

Comment

So where is the poor word choice?

Of course I knew that Akin meant a woman was raped rather than choosing to have sex and then lying about it. Duh.
                      Good. You answered your own question.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandler View Post

Nice
                        Context, my friend. Read what you quoted from me in its entirety.

Comment

And you refuse to answer any.

Is this part of how this whole superior debate skills and unassailable positions of conservatives that liberals simply just can’t touch thing you always brag about works?

are you going to go back to one of “your” conservatives sites and chortle about how easily you dispatched all the weak liberal arguments at that “other” place you amuse yourself with now?

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post

And you refuse to answer any.

Is this part of how this whole superior debate skills and unassailable positions of conservatives that liberals simply just can’t touch thing you always brag about works?

are you going to go back to one of “your” conservatives sites and chortle about how easily you dispatched all the weak liberal arguments at that “other” place you amuse yourself with now?
                            It may be impossible for him to see it any other way. Maybe he misunderstands this whole conversation here?

My (old dead) band!:
                            www.steelphantoms.com/

Comment

It may be impossible for him to see it any other way. Maybe he misunderstands this whole conversation here?
                              I guess you can’t ever lose a debate if you refuse to ever engage in one. .

Comment

Where was the poor word choice? Why did you say he used a poor choice of words?

My (old dead) band!:
                                www.steelphantoms.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X