No announcement yet.

Immigration top US Federal crime, one-third of all sentencing

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Red Ant View Post

I flew on an airplane to get my asylum in the US. Had I known I could have just flown a US flag I could have saved a whole lot of money and time

Jokes aside, I do find it odd that asylum seekers would carry flags of their home country (and I'm going on the assumption that this is actually a thing, I haven't personally seen it) - I wouldn't be caught dead flying the Soviet flag once we left the place. Then again, we were political refugees, not economic ones. Still, if you have such warm feelings about the place you're fleeing that you're carrying its flag, why are you fleeing in the 1st place?

Though I suppose if I were fleeing Venezuela right now I might carry a flag just to let people know I'm fleeing a genuine hellhole, and not seeking asylum frivolously?

"Invasion" still seems like a misnomer to me, as that implies a level of intent, planning and organisation I'm not seeing here.
    Because it’s the current government you are fleeing?

Comment

Originally posted by Daehtihs View Post
      Just add the court and jail costs to the American taxpayers tab.

Immigration crime, virtually all involving illegal male, Hispanic immigrants, was the top offense in federal courts last year, according to the United States Sentencing Commission.

In its just-released annual report, the commission said that immigration crimes accounted for 34.4% of all sentencing cases, up from 30% last year.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...20190514145126
      Are these crimes felonies or misdemeanors?
      "Truth is what stands the test of experience."

...Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Daehtihs View Post
        Just add the court and jail costs to the American taxpayers tab.

Immigration crime, virtually all involving illegal male, Hispanic immigrants, was the top offense in federal courts last year, according to the United States Sentencing Commission.

In its just-released annual report, the commission said that immigration crimes accounted for 34.4% of all sentencing cases, up from 30% last year.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...20190514145126
        Different Presidents place different priorities on different federal crimes. POTUS 45 places a lot of emphasis on immigration offenses. Ergo there are a lot of immigration prosecutions in US district courts.

When Sleepy Creepy Joe Biden gets in, you can bet there will be fewer. Likewise, you can bet relations with Beijing with be just ducky. After all, his son is raking in millions from the Bank of China.
        Last edited by Etienne Rambert; 05-15-2019, 01:47 AM.
        He has escaped! Youtube , ​Murika , France

Comment

Originally posted by Hoot Owl View Post
          Why wasn't it a crisis in the two years that Trump had both houses of Congress?
          It wasn't? I did not know that. I will say that it appears to become more and more of a crisis as our economy continues to improve and people are more incentivized to come on over.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Ant View Post

I flew on an airplane to get my asylum in the US. Had I known I could have just flown a US flag I could have saved a whole lot of money and time

Jokes aside, I do find it odd that asylum seekers would carry flags of their home country (and I'm going on the assumption that this is actually a thing, I haven't personally seen it) - I wouldn't be caught dead flying the Soviet flag once we left the place. Then again, we were political refugees, not economic ones. Still, if you have such warm feelings about the place you're fleeing that you're carrying its flag, why are you fleeing in the 1st place?
            Yep. that is the question that is being begged. I'm also one of those that feels very strongly that these people are being organized by people hell bent on destroying Trump's presidency. The timing of the first ones that hit the news was the first clue. The second was the numbers that gathered "spontaneously". It's one of those things that is just a news story, if you don't really think about it. But if you DO think about it, the logistics, etc. It becomes clear it is not what it appears to be.

Though I suppose if I were fleeing Venezuela right now I might carry a flag just to let people know I'm fleeing a genuine hellhole, and not seeking asylum frivolously?
            And even then, it would not be to the US. It would be to a neighboring country.
            "Invasion" still seems like a misnomer to me, as that implies a level of intent, planning and organisation I'm not seeing here.
            I think it is self evident. i.e. I am seeing it. I don't think it could have existed without the intent, planning and organization necessary to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Easy Listener View Post

It wasn't? I did not know that. I will say that it appears to become more and more of a crisis as our economy continues to improve and people are more incentivized to come on over.
              Trump's trying to fix that with his trade war.
              "Truth is what stands the test of experience."

...Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by thankyou View Post

I used to joke, during the Obama administration, that Obama's solution to all the illegals coming over was to reduce our economy to the equal of theirs so that they wouldn't bother coming over. Mexico really sucks for the lower class, while I believe the US offers tons of freebies if you come on over illegally. I think they see it as a sort of "nothing to lose and everything to gain" proposition.

We merely need to remove the "nothing to lose" part of the equation.

Comment

I'm also one of those that feels very strongly that these people are being organized by people hell bent on destroying Trump's presidency.
                  And that's where we part ways. I don't do conspiratorial thinking, William of Occam and his razor suggest that it is unnecessary in the face of the obvious explanation.

Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

I was being funny. Of course it's been a crisis, for decades. It's not as bad as it once was but I'm on board with stopping all illegal immigration. I don't need more people here, especially on our highways .

The point I was making was about Trump. Why did he not do all these things when he had all of Congress? Why now, with an election coming up?

It's another example of the con-man at work.

George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.
                    Venezuela is what happens when you have Trump without the Madison.

Comment

I used to joke, during the Obama administration, that Obama's solution to all the illegals coming over was to reduce our economy to the equal of theirs so that they wouldn't bother coming over. Mexico really sucks for the lower class, while I believe the US offers tons of freebies if you come on over illegally. I think they see it as a sort of "nothing to lose and everything to gain" proposition.

We merely need to remove the "nothing to lose" part of the equation.
                      That figures. You mentioned nothing of the reasons for the Great Recession yet seem to want to link it all to Obama. No one here is going to buy that, FYI.

George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by thankyou View Post

And with deficit spending. Fiscal conservatism, it's the new (same old) oxymoron.

Comment

That figures. You mentioned nothing of the reasons for the Great Recession yet seem to want to link it all to Obama. No one here is going to buy that, FYI.
                          I'm just talking about the way it felt years into the worst recovery in US history. That's all.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/louiswo...recovery-ever/
                          https://money.cnn.com/2016/10/05/news/economy/us-recovery-slowest-since-wwii/
                          Last edited by Easy Listener; 05-15-2019, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne Rambert View Post

Different Presidents place different priorities on different federal crimes. POTUS 45 places a lot of emphasis on immigration offenses. Ergo there are a lot of immigration prosecutions in US district courts.

When Sleepy Creepy Joe Biden gets in, you can bet there will be fewer. Likewise, you can bet relations with Beijing with be just ducky. After all, his son is raking in millions from the Bank of China.
                            Relations with China will be just ducky? Like how Trump got his trademarks right after ditching TPP?

Comment

The point I was making was about Trump. Why did he not do all these things when he had all of Congress? Why now, with an election coming up?

It's another example of the con-man at work.
                              Because Trump is not a republicans and both parties are fighting him. One is just more covert about it. Here's my proof: When the R's controlled the congress, he STILL didn't get his wall. They were fighting him. Many of them still are, IMO
                              Last edited by Easy Listener; 05-15-2019, 10:33 AM.

Comment

I used to joke, during the Obama administration, that Obama's solution to all the illegals coming over was to reduce our economy to the equal of theirs so that they wouldn't bother coming over.
                                And ironically, the economy showed steady growth over the 8 years of Obama's presidency...

So I don't get the joke.

Comment

Working...
                                X