Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

An important view into the thinking of moderates and conservatives regarding Obstruction

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Red Ant View Post

The above is entirely subjective. My subjective opinion is that the internet has indeed "changed the formula" - by reducing the signal-to-noise ratio to the point of absurdity. And the idea of "going to best supporters" is repugnant to me in principle - I don't need anyone to "make the strongest case" on any given issue, that is my job.

I think I've made abundantly clear on numerous occasions that I will not watch youtube video as part of political discourse. I'm happy to read anything you or anyone else provides, but my time is too valuable to me to waste it on YouTube opinion.
    Then I think you will find this fascinating:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...dennis-prager/

Edit: My fascination with youtube videos is hinted at in the article above but mainly becuase I am usually pretty busy and can't read and work at the same time, so I work while listening to youtube videos. I used to work and listen to talk radio, and yest, that includes Air America. You see, I really am not in an echo chamber and am quite well aware of what is being discussed in many corners of the political spectrum. Not all, of course, who has the time or inclination. I'm 75 and my focus has changed.
    Last edited by Easy Listener; 05-10-2019, 01:31 PM.
    EVERYTHING I type (i.e. not a link or video) is only my opinion. In a sane world, that should not have to be said. But then, we are not living in a sane world, are we?

Comment

Originally posted by Easy Listener View Post

The power of propaganda is more effective using video than simply the written word.

Interesting, but hardly “fascinating” as most knowledgeable people have understood this for decades.

Comment

Edit: My fascination with youtube videos is hinted at in the article above but mainly becuase I am usually pretty busy and can't read and work at the same time, so I work while listening to youtube videos. I used to work and listen to talk radio, and yest, that includes Air America. You see, I really am not in an echo chamber and am quite well aware of what is being discussed in many corners of the political spectrum. Not all, of course, who has the time or inclination. I'm 75 and my focus has changed.
        Well, I rarely find myself agreeing with anything Dennis Praeger has to say, but at least he says it well, is historically literate, likes facts (most of the time) and always has a transcript, so I don't actually have to listen to him. And as to the content of the Mother Jones article, it isn't exactly news.... I am well aware of the gnat-like attention span and aversion to nuance of the American electorate, this is just another reminder thereof.

I've never listened to any talk radio... literally, never, not once. I work with my ears, and oftentimes when I'm here on the forum my ears are busy working. And when I'm not busy, my ears are still working, listening to music. But I can multitask, as in reading and writing. Also, I can read in a couple of minutes what would take an hour to express via video, I don't have the time OR the patience. Same goes for audio books, I find them a form of torture.
        Last edited by Red Ant; 05-11-2019, 02:25 PM.
        Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Hicks View Post

Let us remember that sessions actually recused himself.

it's more than just a little bit ironic that the passage of time should make Jeff Sessions look like the moral and ethical one in the Trump gang.
          😀
          In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Comment

Easy Listener, please see the post above where you were asked to substantiate factual claims:

https://www.harmonycentral.com/forum...6#post32517556

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
            - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
            - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
            - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I think the man has a point. The left's MO regarding publicly slandering anyone they don't like, despite it being the type of speech unprotected by the 1st Amendment, is simply something he's calling out. Fair enough. On this forum where the left hangs it's hat it's going to bait, and get, further slandering. The silliest responses are the ones asking who he is and why his opinion is important. These are the mentalities that will never foster the unity they so obliviously think is uniquely theirs to claim. But, that's the haze and maze of the liberal psyche.
              - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Citizens and Residents Of The United States and U.S Persons - USA PATRIOT Act Notice: You are hereby notified that under the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, you may be placed under electronic surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site by intelligence or law enforcement agencies at any time or for any purpose for which they may deem fit, without your knowledge or permission and without the order or supervision of any court of law. As the provisions of the Act strictly prohibit, with fines and imprisonment, the managers of this site from disclosing such surveillance should it become known to us, you should assume that you are under surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site, electronic mail or any other form of electronic communication related thereto.

Comment

I saw that but decided to leave it so that the post is not shown to be edited.
                lol
                "Truth is what stands the test of experience."

...Albert Einstein

Comment

Actually, Republicans were really going nuts about Obama's school transcripts being released. So there is that parallel, but, IMO, the rest of your points are biased caricatures of what actually happened.

So we can anticipate the Donald releasing his transcripts? Did Obama not have a fixer to go out and threaten his former schools?
                  "Truth is what stands the test of experience."

...Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Idunno View Post
                    I think the man has a point. The left's MO regarding publicly slandering anyone they don't like, despite it being the type of speech unprotected by the 1st Amendment, is simply something he's calling out. Fair enough. On this forum where the left hangs it's hat it's going to bait, and get, further slandering. The silliest responses are the ones asking who he is and why his opinion is important. These are the mentalities that will never foster the unity they so obliviously think is uniquely theirs to claim. But, that's the haze and maze of the liberal psyche.
                    Of course ‘the right’ would never dream of publicly slandering anyone they don’t like!

Comment

Originally posted by Idunno View Post
                      I'm really not sure what you're talking about here... do you have examples?

Comment

Thank you. As I mentioned before, I saw it and left it. I don't like it when my posts have a "last edited" date and chose to leave it be.
                        .................................................. ..................post 68................................................ ...................................

Comment

You were asked to substantiate factual claims... I think it was in post #56.

Second notice / request...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                          - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

You were asked to substantiate factual claims... I think it was in post #56.

Second notice / request...
                            Two things:
                            1. I am not logged on 24/7 as some here seem to be and did not see the request.
                            2. I just saw the first request and I consider it unreasonable. This is not journalism class. I gave a link for the core claim.

My post stands. Do what you must if you must. I've reached my tolerance level on this links for minutia stuff.
                            Last edited by Easy Listener; 05-14-2019, 12:46 PM.
                            EVERYTHING I type (i.e. not a link or video) is only my opinion. In a sane world, that should not have to be said. But then, we are not living in a sane world, are we?

Comment

Two things:
                              2. I just saw the first request and I consider it unreasonable. This is not journalism class. I gave a link for the core claim.

My post stands. Do what you must if you must. I've reached my tolerance level on this links for minutia stuff.
                              How could we elevate ourselves to your level of debate if we can't even pass Journalism 101?? Hehe, just kidding.

It doesn't take a lot of effort delineate between objective and subjective. Simply say, "It seems to me that most of us thought..." or "of the people on my side who I've read or listened to, most of us thought..."

Using more specificity in one's statements tends to make them less questionable, because broad assumptions are removed; openly recognizing and delineating between subjective and objective lends to credibility.

Though... beware, that's the type of "critical thinking" mumbo jumbo I learned at a liberal arts college. hehehe
                              Last edited by arcadesonfire; 05-14-2019, 01:04 PM.
                              For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?
                              https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Muell...ook/B07PXN468K

My (old dead) band!:
                              www.steelphantoms.com/
                              PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

Comment

Two things:
                                Understood - which is why you weren't asked over the weekend while you weren't posting, and why you were given another reminder today.

It's really simple: Just edit your post so that instead of the apparently unsupportable claim that "many" and "most" become "some" - which is irrefutable.

i.e. with two simple edits "most of us that supported Trump... felt about the obstruction claims" becomes "some of us that supported Trump... felt about the obstruction claims" and "many of us see this as... Trump was framed for a crime he didn't commit" becomes "some of us see this as... Trump was framed for a crime he didn't commit."

- George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                                X