Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

An important view into the thinking of moderates and conservatives regarding Obstruction

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wasgtrjones
    replied
    Originally posted by Idunno View Post
    I think the man has a point. The left's MO regarding publicly slandering anyone they don't like, despite it being the type of speech unprotected by the 1st Amendment, is simply something he's calling out. Fair enough. On this forum where the left hangs it's hat it's going to bait, and get, further slandering. The silliest responses are the ones asking who he is and why his opinion is important. These are the mentalities that will never foster the unity they so obliviously think is uniquely theirs to claim. But, that's the haze and maze of the liberal psyche.
    I'm really not sure what you're talking about here... do you have examples?

Leave a comment:

• slodge
    replied
    Originally posted by Idunno View Post
    I think the man has a point. The left's MO regarding publicly slandering anyone they don't like, despite it being the type of speech unprotected by the 1st Amendment, is simply something he's calling out. Fair enough. On this forum where the left hangs it's hat it's going to bait, and get, further slandering. The silliest responses are the ones asking who he is and why his opinion is important. These are the mentalities that will never foster the unity they so obliviously think is uniquely theirs to claim. But, that's the haze and maze of the liberal psyche.
    Of course ‘the right’ would never dream of publicly slandering anyone they don’t like!

Leave a comment:

• thankyou
    replied
    Originally posted by Easy Listener View Post

Actually, Republicans were really going nuts about Obama's school transcripts being released. So there is that parallel, but, IMO, the rest of your points are biased caricatures of what actually happened.

So we can anticipate the Donald releasing his transcripts? Did Obama not have a fixer to go out and threaten his former schools?

Leave a comment:

• thankyou
    replied

I saw that but decided to leave it so that the post is not shown to be edited.
    lol

Leave a comment:

• Idunno
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Phil O'Keefe
    replied
    Easy Listener, please see the post above where you were asked to substantiate factual claims:

https://www.harmonycentral.com/forum...6#post32517556

Leave a comment:

• slodge
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom Hicks View Post

Let us remember that sessions actually recused himself.

it's more than just a little bit ironic that the passage of time should make Jeff Sessions look like the moral and ethical one in the Trump gang.
    😀
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Leave a comment:

• Red Ant
    replied

Then I think you will find this fascinating:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...dennis-prager/

Edit: My fascination with youtube videos is hinted at in the article above but mainly becuase I am usually pretty busy and can't read and work at the same time, so I work while listening to youtube videos. I used to work and listen to talk radio, and yest, that includes Air America. You see, I really am not in an echo chamber and am quite well aware of what is being discussed in many corners of the political spectrum. Not all, of course, who has the time or inclination. I'm 75 and my focus has changed.
    Well, I rarely find myself agreeing with anything Dennis Praeger has to say, but at least he says it well, is historically literate, likes facts (most of the time) and always has a transcript, so I don't actually have to listen to him. And as to the content of the Mother Jones article, it isn't exactly news.... I am well aware of the gnat-like attention span and aversion to nuance of the American electorate, this is just another reminder thereof.

I've never listened to any talk radio... literally, never, not once. I work with my ears, and oftentimes when I'm here on the forum my ears are busy working. And when I'm not busy, my ears are still working, listening to music. But I can multitask, as in reading and writing. Also, I can read in a couple of minutes what would take an hour to express via video, I don't have the time OR the patience. Same goes for audio books, I find them a form of torture.
    Last edited by Red Ant; 05-11-2019, 02:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vito Corleone
    replied

The power of propaganda is more effective using video than simply the written word.

Interesting, but hardly “fascinating” as most knowledgeable people have understood this for decades.

Leave a comment:

• Easy Listener
    replied
    Originally posted by Red Ant View Post

The above is entirely subjective. My subjective opinion is that the internet has indeed "changed the formula" - by reducing the signal-to-noise ratio to the point of absurdity. And the idea of "going to best supporters" is repugnant to me in principle - I don't need anyone to "make the strongest case" on any given issue, that is my job.

I think I've made abundantly clear on numerous occasions that I will not watch youtube video as part of political discourse. I'm happy to read anything you or anyone else provides, but my time is too valuable to me to waste it on YouTube opinion.

Edit: My fascination with youtube videos is hinted at in the article above but mainly becuase I am usually pretty busy and can't read and work at the same time, so I work while listening to youtube videos. I used to work and listen to talk radio, and yest, that includes Air America. You see, I really am not in an echo chamber and am quite well aware of what is being discussed in many corners of the political spectrum. Not all, of course, who has the time or inclination. I'm 75 and my focus has changed.
    Last edited by Easy Listener; 05-10-2019, 01:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Red Ant
    replied
    Though I tend to agree with you academically, I've found that the internet has changed that formula quite a bit. Thing is, one can go to the "best supporters" of each position and, often times, accurately determine which is telling the truth and which is not. Or at least which makes the strongest case. And that has left me, over the last ten years, being right about this stuff a LOT more than wrong.
    The above is entirely subjective. My subjective opinion is that the internet has indeed "changed the formula" - by reducing the signal-to-noise ratio to the point of absurdity. And the idea of "going to best supporters" is repugnant to me in principle - I don't need anyone to "make the strongest case" on any given issue, that is my job.

This video sums it up best. It is not the ox being gored by the video that is the point I'm focusing on, but the discussion of the argument styles that give away which side's arguments hold more water. And the video is ten years old and has proven to be downright clairvoyant regarding the antics of leftists today.

I think I've made abundantly clear on numerous occasions that I will not watch youtube video as part of political discourse. I'm happy to read anything you or anyone else provides, but my time is too valuable to me to waste it on YouTube opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Easy Listener
    replied
    Originally posted by Red Ant View Post
    In this case, neither you nor I, nor most other people, have enough information to form an objetive opinion on whether "injustice" happened, and to whom, and how and when. Every version of events, including yours and mine, is short on data and long on conjecture - and how can it be otherwise when nearly everyone involved (with perhaps the exception of Mueller and his team, and we are prevented from knowing their full findings on the subject) have been involved in at least some form of obfuscation, if not outright lying. And this isn't a matter of belief or opinion, since everyone from Trump to Comey, from Sessions to Strzok and on down, have all been caught in some form of prevarication.

Frankly, the waters have been muddied so thoroughly and by so many parties that its become pointless to discuss, as eventually it comes down to "whom do you believe"... which in my case is "no one".
    Though I tend to agree with you academically, I've found that the internet has changed that formula quite a bit. Thing is, one can go to the "best supporters" of each position and, often times, accurately determine which is telling the truth and which is not. Or at least which makes the strongest case. And that has left me, over the last ten years, being right about this stuff a LOT more than wrong.

This video sums it up best. It is not the ox being gored by the video that is the point I'm focusing on, but the discussion of the argument styles that give away which side's arguments hold more water. And the video is ten years old and has proven to be downright clairvoyant regarding the antics of leftists today.

Leave a comment:

• Vito Corleone
    replied

I strongly agree. It's why I'm an independent. It's why I relate to the video in the OP. As he points out, this is not about trump to many of us. We put ourselves in his shoes and are repulsed by what is happening and what happened. It's not about him. It is about the utter injustice of the whole thing. Only those that are partisan seem to completely miss that aspect because they are so overcome by TDS.

This is not Trump supporters vs justice. It is not trump supporters vs trump detractors. It is about supporters of justice vs those with TDS.

It reminds me of the Kavanaugh hearing. I was NO fan of Kavanaugh and still am not. But the higher principle was watching a complete railroading of a fellow citizen of the US and wanting to see it stopped in its tracks (it was). I became a strong opponent of what was being done to another man, regardless of who that man is. And, truth be told, I think this may be what is going on with Barr regarding Trump.

In a civilized society we should rise above this kind of crap.
    Those who claim to be an “independent” when the reality is they don’t register with a political party because the GOP isn’t conservative enough for them are being a bit disingenuous. IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Red Ant
    replied

I strongly agree. It's why I'm an independent. It's why I relate to the video in the OP. As he points out, this is not about trump to many of us. We put ourselves in his shoes and are repulsed by what is happening and what happened.
    You seem to be contradicting yourself. If independents can be said to be anything as a group, it is that independents are not monolithic - there is no "majority Independent opinion" to be found.

And TDS has two distinct strains, both pro- and anti-. Neither variant is useful, imho.

In this case, neither you nor I, nor most other people, have enough information to form an objetive opinion on whether "injustice" happened, and to whom, and how and when. Every version of events, including yours and mine, is short on data and long on conjecture - and how can it be otherwise when nearly everyone involved (with perhaps the exception of Mueller and his team, and we are prevented from knowing their full findings on the subject) have been involved in at least some form of obfuscation, if not outright lying. And this isn't a matter of belief or opinion, since everyone from Trump to Comey, from Sessions to Strzok and on down, have all been caught in some form of prevarication.

Frankly, the waters have been muddied so thoroughly and by so many parties that its become pointless to discuss, as eventually it comes down to "whom do you believe"... which in my case is "no one".

Leave a comment:

• Vito Corleone
    replied

Thank you. As I mentioned before, I saw it and left it. I don't like it when my posts have a "last edited" date and chose to leave it be.
    There’s a space for you explain the reason for editing

Leave a comment:

Working...
X