No announcement yet.

What Is So Bad About Iran?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is So Bad About Iran?

What is so bad about Iran other than the fact that they don't sell their oil in US Dollars?

President Trump's hardline stance seems to be counter productive if the goal is to curb Iran's nuclear programs. Hurting the people of Iran through economic sanctions is not helping reduce anti-American sentiment in the country or the region.

The price of oil is going up as a result of American sanctions against Iran and Venezuela and Russia is capitalizing on that as a counter-measure to sanctions imposed against them.

What is the point of all this anti-Iran rhetoric and why now?
    Every worm, every insect, every animal is working
    for the ecological wellbeing of the planet.

Only we humans, who claim to be the most intelligent
    species here, are not doing that. ~Sadhguru

It has nothing to do with oil.

State-sponsored terrorism, and the little issue of the 1980 hostages. Pursuing nuclear weapons openly doesn't help, either.

Why are you so fixated on global oil trade?
    Last edited by SteinbergerHack; 05-08-2019, 05:30 PM.
    Lease this space!

Comment

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack View Post
      It has nothing to do with oil...
      It never does.

Comment

Gotta have a boogie man. It’s lube for the mAsses.

Comment

State-sponsored terrorism, and the little issue of the 1980 hostages. Pursuing nuclear weapons openly doesn't help, either.

And Saudi Arabia doesn't sponsor terrorism? 9/11 and Yemen come to mind. How are they any better than Iran?
          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.

Comment

Originally posted by onelife View Post
            What is so bad about Iran other than the fact that they don't sell their oil in US Dollars?

President Trump's hardline stance seems to be counter productive if the goal is to curb Iran's nuclear programs. Hurting the people of Iran through economic sanctions is not helping reduce anti-American sentiment in the country or the region.

The price of oil is going up as a result of American sanctions against Iran and Venezuela and Russia is capitalizing on that as a counter-measure to sanctions imposed against them.

What is the point of all this anti-Iran rhetoric and why now?
            Is this a serious question?

If so, there are many valid reasons that have little to do with the global oil market.

The main reason being that Iran is a major "side" in the great Shi'a - Sunni power struggle which has created a fundamental and at this point un-healable rift in the ME. On top of that Iran is an aggressive theocracy, a major exporter and financier of global terrorism, and are implacably anti-West. Furthermore, Iran has strong economic and military ties to both Russia and the PRC, our two main rivals in the current global power struggle, and as such acts as the "sharp end" of both Chinese and Russian foreign policies, when they align with Iran's own aspirations.

The "Cold War" has never really ended, nor will it ever end, at least in the foreseeable future - the struggle for hegemony, both regional and global, never ceased, nor does it show any signs of abating, unsurprisingly. Iran has dreams of regional dominance, and unlike Russia, the US and China, is not constrained by the self-imposed "rules of the game" that have kept the major powers from engaging in all-out direct conflict with each other since 1945. Not to mention Iran's ongoing struggle to become one of the nuclear powers - which, given their aggressive intent and demonstrable lack of restraint, isn't an eventuality any sane human being would look forward to.

Other than that (and their atrocious record of human rights abuses, barbaric "justice" system and utter contempt for international behavioral norms) they're not so bad

Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Originally posted by erok123 View Post

And Saudi Arabia doesn't sponsor terrorism? 9/11 and Yemen come to mind. How are they any better than Iran?
              They're not. SA are Iran's mirror image, and the other major player in the great Shi'a - Sunni slow-motion Jihad that has been going on since 1979. However, SA is at least in part a client of the US, where's Iran is at least in part a client of Russia and the PRC. That, in addition to the reasons listed in my post above, makes them a clear enemy of the US, whereas SA is more like an awful and untrustworthy ally.
              Last edited by Red Ant; 05-08-2019, 05:59 PM.
              Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

We’re still holding a grudge over the hostages from 40 years ago?

Comment

As you probably know already, I have a problem with people killing other people.

I see the global oil trade as a catalyst in a system that drops bombs on people and kills them by the thousands - perhaps even hundreds of thousands.

Iraq sold its oil in Euros for 18 months before the "Mission Accomplished" banner was proudly displayed.

Libya was planning to create a new gold currency with the hopes of getting other African nations to join them in selling oil in Dinars.

Venezuela abandoned the US Dollar in favour of the Euro for international transactions.

Were the leaders of the above countries demonized because they stopped selling oil in US Dollars or did they drop the Dollar because they were/are evil dictators?

I realize that correlation is not causation but it seems that the US needs the global oil trade to maintain the Dollar's status as the world's reserve currency and is willing to fight for it.

Iran, the current bad guy, should stop selling oil in Euros for the sake of the people who are being harmed by the sanctions and before the most destructive military force ever known to man turns the country into a parking lot.

Meanwhile, President Trump cozies up with Little Rocket Man who is blatantly threatening the world with Nukes - but not Euros.

Comment

Originally posted by onelife View Post

As you probably know already, I have a problem with people killing other people.
                    You may be on the wrong planet then.

I'm not murderous or bloodthirsty, and I'm all for minimizing negative outcomes, but people are going to kill other people. The fact (and it is a fact) that, relative to population size we're doing it less than we ever have is worthy of praise, but its still gonna happen.

Ironically, sometimes in order to stop people killing other people, you have to kill people.

Humans suck, and are also awesome

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Originally posted by Red Ant View Post

I'm not murderous or bloodthirsty, and I'm all for minimizing negative outcomes, but people are going to kill other people. The fact (and it is a fact) that, relative to population size we're doing it less than we ever have is worthy of praise, but its still gonna happen.

Ironically, sometimes in order to stop people killing other people, you have to kill people.

x1000. Great post.

Comment

Sometimes in order to have cheap oil, you have to kill people

Comment

You really shouldn't chop out parts of the posters reply, it's like editing it and will lose context. And I think it's not really allowed.......
                          I always bold the portion.

Correct if I'm wrong.
                          Last edited by Into Nation; 05-08-2019, 06:56 PM.
                          http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/I-smeared-bacon-fat-on-my-strat-now-it-stinks/td-p/16697195

Comment

Is this a serious question?

If so, there are many valid reasons that have little to do with the global oil market.

The main reason being that Iran is a major "side" in the great Shi'a - Sunni power struggle which has created a fundamental and at this point un-healable rift in the ME. On top of that Iran is an aggressive theocracy, a major exporter and financier of global terrorism, and are implacably anti-West. Furthermore, Iran has strong economic and military ties to both Russia and the PRC, our two main rivals in the current global power struggle, and as such acts as the "sharp end" of both Chinese and Russian foreign policies, when they align with Iran's own aspirations.

The "Cold War" has never really ended, nor will it ever end, at least in the foreseeable future - the struggle for hegemony, both regional and global, never ceased, nor does it show any signs of abating, unsurprisingly. Iran has dreams of regional dominance, and unlike Russia, the US and China, is not constrained by the self-imposed "rules of the game" that have kept the major powers from engaging in all-out direct conflict with each other since 1945. Not to mention Iran's ongoing struggle to become one of the nuclear powers - which, given their aggressive intent and demonstrable lack of restraint, isn't an eventuality any sane human being would look forward to.

Other than that (and their atrocious record of human rights abuses, barbaric "justice" system and utter contempt for international behavioral norms) they're not so bad
                            It is a serious question because of the recent change in policy by the current administration. If Iran's nuclear ambitions are really the problem they are made out to be then the previous administration's policies were addressing that.

Now, with the American imposition of sanctions, the people are suffering and the country is restarting its nuclear program. How can that be a good thing? Is there some other underlying reason for the change in approach?

That being said, I have no argument with your post.

Comment

Originally posted by erok123 View Post

Saudi Arabia sells its oil in US Dollars. Iran sells oil in Euros.

Comment

Working...
                              X