No announcement yet.

After the Boomers Are Gone, the Bloodshed Begins

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Easy Listener View Post

The impact another person's disagreement has on my self esteem and confidence in my opinion is in direct proportion to the level of respect I have for that person.
    Here's a question- are there people, or a person, who you respect, who could disagree with you and, in so doing, actually convince you to change your mind?

I asked this because your posting history, and the nature of your opinions (and your responses to differing viewpoints) have created, for me, the rebuttable hypothesis that you respect only those who agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Ant View Post

I'm not one to shy away from discussion, as anyone who's spent any time on this forum knows... but there has to be a subject worth discussing. I don't see that here, the article in the OP is just another fluff opinion piece, full of mere assertions. Which is why it is no different from the "left echo chamber" you speak of - the opinions are different, but the lack of substance, and substantiation, is exactly the same.
      If an article is not worth discussing, I simply don't post on the thread. I do that all the time - or, I should say DON'T do that all the time. Coming in to simply say it's a "bad or pointless" article without backing it up with facts is not adding to the discussion. Saying it is bad solely because it is opinion or "a youtube video" or "an opinion piece', and din;t address the actual content you are, in fact, engaging in argumentum Ad-hominem.

Sometimes here. I feel like I'm the main character in Idiocracy trying to defend himself in court, being accused of "sounding faggy".

But sometimes the majority rules, regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by TCM View Post

Here's a question- are there people, or a person, who you respect, who could disagree with you and, in so doing, actually convince you to change your mind?

I asked this because your posting history, and the nature of your opinions (and your responses to differing viewpoints) have created, for me, the rebuttable hypothesis that you respect only those who agree with you.
        Interestingly, I actually know I've changed my opinion and have, of late actually taken back posts and apologized for them. I've also only seen one other person do that here. I'm old enough to have experienced a lot and I will change my opinion on things. I will listen to the opinions of others, but they have to EARN that respect. And it as very little* to do with what they believe. It has to do with, based on the content of their posts, HOW they think.

Here's the problem: A lot of my opinions are based on study, debate and observation over many decades. They are so accurate that I can actually make strong predictions about outcomes if certain choices are made and have high accuracy. Kind of like believing in the theory of gravity enough to know that if you drop an egg it will fall to the floor.

It is one reason I come down on the political opinions I do, and one reason I "know" that if the democrats pursue trump as they have been, they are just going to look sillier and sillier as election day approaches. That doesn't mean they won't win, though. Because I have also learned that it is a fools game to predict the decisions of the voters. They are quite fickle. The rules are not as stable as the rules surrounding gravity.

*Very little - Sometimes an opinion will over-ride the apparent high lucidity of a person's posts if the opinion is silly enough. e.g. being a genuine flat earther or moon landing denier.

Comment

"Culturalism". Dog whistle. We are not fooled.

Zip
          665 - Neighbor of the Beast

Originally Posted by RobRoy: I believe that the only way Obama will remain in power is if he suspends elections. And at that point he is no longer president. He is dictator. But I don't believe he will even survive that long. It could be suicide, impeachment by BOTH parties, you name it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zipperhead View Post
            "Culturalism". Dog whistle. We are not fooled.

Zip
            I can only assume that is a response to the post above it. I have no idea what you are talking about, but it sounds kinda nutty. Are you seeing ghosts?

Comment

I can only assume that is a response to the post above it. I have no idea what you are talking about, but it sounds kinda nutty. Are you seeing ghosts?
              Of course you have no idea.

Some here seem to glory in their belief that folks like me are simply wrong and we are gonna lose the cultural battle.

Zip
              665 - Neighbor of the Beast

Originally Posted by RobRoy: I believe that the only way Obama will remain in power is if he suspends elections. And at that point he is no longer president. He is dictator. But I don't believe he will even survive that long. It could be suicide, impeachment by BOTH parties, you name it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zipperhead View Post

Of course you have no idea.

Zip
                Yep. Yer gonna have to explain it. I have no idea where you are going with that. It may be that I am an imbecile or it may be that you are a poor communicator, but you're gonna have to explain it for any communication to take place, assuming that is your goal here.

Comment

Incorrect inference. Rather, I'm ensuring that they have been given ample opportunity to avail themselves to information from both sides, leaving them without excuse.

By "them", I mean those firmly ensconced in the Echo Chamber of leftism. But not everyone here is of that ilk.
                  If you think issues have only two sides, you're drastically misunderinformed.
                  !

Comment

Originally posted by arf-boy View Post

If you think issues have only two sides, you're drastically misunderinformed.
                    I think issues have MANY sides. But once one has full understanding of the issue and its nuances, it only has one CORRECT side.

Did we land on the moon or not? Is the earth flat or not?
                    Last edited by Easy Listener; 05-10-2019, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Ant View Post

Sadly, there is more than one echo chamber, and this article seems to be an echo of it.
                      Do you remember the forum user Echoes?
                      !

Comment

Yeah. I confess it can be challenging to have an actual discussion here. People are pretty polarized.

Musicians are a special breed. It's why only in stores that cater to musicians am I required to show ID when I use a credit card. And why CL ads for musicians are the only type of employment offers I've ever seen that need to call out that you have to have your own means of transportation.

So I expect some "interesting" discussion styles and perspective on positions with which people disagree. When I first came here it was an ad-hominem free-for all, but they have really cleaned it up. Opinion's have changed, but slowly, as people age. At least, I believe that in the seven years I've been here I've seen people mature - and others, not so much.

It's definitely quieted down. And once Trump is gone, I'll probably not spend any more time here. I'm here mainly for the entertaining opinions I read. And it's pretty easy to get people to share their viewpoints, kinda like it's easy and fun to get AOC to share her viewpoints.

But I don't mean to be mean, so I'll stop here....

Those that take this personally are probably those I'm talking to. The rest probably know what I'm talking about.
                        Many employment ads specify that the applicant must have a license and reliable transportation. The rest of us have no idea what you're talking about because *you* don't seem to gave a grip on basic facts.
                        !

Comment

I've posted from many sources. Even the NYT and CNN from time to time. Your inclination to question the credibility of many of my sources, and implication that only those sources you deem to be biased, makes it unlikely, in my opinion, that your mind will be changed on anything. So I post and let the reader decide what they want to believe and let the chips fall where they may.

You can lead a horse to water...

This is my final word to you on this. I think the discussion has run its course.
                          From my perspective your sources are mostly junk. Been following news since early childhood, politics since age 10 and worked as a journalist, radio and print, for a dozen years.

Ease up on the cliches, too, would you?
                          !

Comment

Many employment ads specify that the applicant must have a license and reliable transportation. The rest of us have no idea what you're talking about because *you* don't seem to gave a grip on basic facts.
                            You presume to speak for others. Are you club president or something?

And yes, low paying jobs or jobs that specifically require the ability to drive (i.e. vending machine maintenance) require a license. But driving is not part of being in a band (van driver excluded). But again, non-driving jobs that bring it up do so because they are dealing with a less mature (i.e. less reliable) audience. And that's my point.

Comment

If an article is not worth discussing, I simply don't post on the thread. I do that all the time - or, I should say DON'T do that all the time. Coming in to simply say it's a "bad or pointless" article without backing it up with facts is not adding to the discussion. Saying it is bad solely because it is opinion or "a youtube video" or "an opinion piece', and din;t address the actual content you are, in fact, engaging in argumentum Ad-hominem.

Sometimes here. I feel like I'm the main character in Idiocracy trying to defend himself in court, being accused of "sounding faggy".

But sometimes the majority rules, regardless.
                              You don't get it. People are giving you a hard time for *starting threads* with lightweight or faulty content. Addressing content is, specifically, not an attack against the author. I'll illustrate the difference: "This article is poorly sourced, speculative and poorly written." vs. "This guy's a thoughtless blowhard merely looking to provoke us to stroke his tortured soul with the attention he so desperately craves."
                              !

Comment

From my perspective your sources are mostly junk. Been following news since early childhood, politics since age 10 and worked as a journalist, radio and print, for a dozen years.

Ease up on the cliches, too, would you?
                                I only use cliches when they apply and make the point succinctly.

Regarding your opinion on my sources, I pretty strongly disagree. But make of it what you will.

Your comment about following politics reminds me of a poster I once sparred with that said they were not a Christian because he studied it the first 12 years of his life and saw it as bunk.

Studied it for 12 years, huh? Sounds impressive until you realize he was 12 when he decided it was bunk, using a child's mind, child's perspective and, probably, teaching designed for chidren.

So, are you 22? (assuming you started in Journalism for your school newspaper at age 10 and have done it for 12 years)

Comment

Working...
                                X