• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thankyou View Post

Are you familiar with ALEC?
    Indeed
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by guido61 View Post

You seem to misunderstand. I fully understand the need for lobbying in a representative form of government. And that it’s protected by the 1st amendment.

But what you don’t seem to understand, or worse, are purposely trying to downplay, is that all lobbying is not created equal. Certainly you’ve heard certain groups or individuals referred to as “powerful lobbyists”.

What do you suppose is meant by that?
      Given that this generally comes from biased journalists or politicians, I disregard it completely as emotional language that has no actual meaning.

What do you think? How - precisely - do you define "powerful lobbyist" as distinguished from "industry lobbyist", "environmental lobbyist", or some other such adjective? What is the difference? Please be specific.
      Last edited by SteinbergerHack; 05-10-2019, 05:37 PM.
      Lease this space!

Comment

• Originally posted by SteinbergerHack View Post

Given that this generally comes from biased journalists or politicians, I disregard it completely as emotional language that has no actual meaning.

What do you think? How - precisely - do you define "powerful lobbyist" as distinguished from "industry lobbyist", "environmental lobbyist", or some other such adjective? What is the difference? Please be specific.
        . Lol. After dismissing my request with a broad swipe at the “biased media” you now demand I answer your request with bolded and underlined “precisely”? As if.

But the answer is in the definition of the phrase itself: It depends of the degree of power the lobbyist we are speaking of has.

The problem here is you like to play these word games in which you refuse to acknowledge what are basic differences in power, influence and privilege one is afforded by how much money one has.

Whether you do it when claiming “anyone can take those same deductions” or implying that I can hire someone to go to Washington to knock on doors and it will be the same as Exxon doing so.

Im surprised you see any value in making money at all if don’t believe it affords you any advantage over those who don’t.
        Last edited by Vito Corleone; 05-10-2019, 05:52 PM.

Comment

. Lol. After dismissing my request with a broad swipe at the “biased media” you now demand I answer your request with bolded and underlined “precisely”? As if.

But the answer is in the definition of the phrase itself: It depends of the degree of power the lobbyist we are speaking of has.

The problem here is you like to play these word games in which you refuse to acknowledge what are basic differences in power, influence and privilege one is afforded by how much money one has.

Whether you do it when claiming “anyone can take those same deductions” or implying that I can hire someone to go to Washington to knock on doors and it will be the same as Exxon doing so.

Im surprised you see any value in making money at all if don’t believe it affords you any advantage over those who don’t.
          So, in short, you can't answer the question.

Got it!
          Lease this space!

Comment

• Some real data:

https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/to...19&indexType=s

Who is buying votes is here, and we all know that's how it works, right?

I am surprised I don't see NRA.
            http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/I-smeared-bacon-fat-on-my-strat-now-it-stinks/td-p/16697195

Comment

So, in short, you can't answer the question.

Got it!
              Nice try. But I answered it. As best such a silly question could have been answered, anyway.

Thanks for playing though.
              Last edited by Vito Corleone; 05-10-2019, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Nice try. But I answered it. .
                No you didn't.

A valid answer might have stated that "powerful" meant "more than $X spent", or "X pieces of legislation influenced per year", or something else that has an actual meaning......but you didn't supply anything meaningful.
                Lease this space!

Comment

No you didn't.
                  Yes. I did. Go back and read after the words "the answer"

A valid answer might have stated that "powerful" meant "more than $X spent", or "X pieces of legislation influenced per year", or something else that has an actual meaning......but you didn't supply anything meaningful.
                  A valid answer would only be a necessary response to a valid question.

You didn't ask anything meaningful. Why would you expect a meaningful response?

Last edited by Vito Corleone; 05-10-2019, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Into Nation View Post
                    Some real data:

Note that you DO see the national association of broadcasters.

Free press, indeed....
                    Last edited by SteinbergerHack; 05-10-2019, 06:56 PM.
                    Lease this space!

Comment

Some real data:

NRA is going broke. They probably can't afford it any more.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-investigation

Comment

Note that you DO see the national association of broadcasters.

Free press, indeed....
                        Pick and choose data, as you always do. You are nothing but consistent.
                        Last edited by Into Nation; 05-10-2019, 06:59 PM.
                        http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/I-smeared-bacon-fat-on-my-strat-now-it-stinks/td-p/16697195

Comment

Pick and choose data, as you always do. You are nothing but consistent.
                          No, I just found that particular one interesting.
                          Lease this space!

Comment

Yes. I did. Go back and read after the words "the answer"
                            Nope, just more qualitative BS without any actual content. If a descriptor cannot be measured and compared to a standard, it is not singly defined, at which point it is meaningless.

If I ask one of my junior engineers how much energy is in a capacitor and he/she responds with "it's really powerful" (roughly equivalent to your response), he/she is going to get some remedial training. If you can't specify it, you either don't understand it or you are deliberately using a nonsensical term for emotional content, i.e., worthless waste of words....just like "powerful".
                            Last edited by SteinbergerHack; 05-10-2019, 08:00 PM.
                            Lease this space!

Comment

No, I just found that particular one interesting.
                              Why?

Gun rights advocates can have a lobby but broadcasters can not? Aren’t their constitutional rights worth lobbying for as well?

Comment

Nope, just more qualitative BS without any actual content. If a descriptor cannot be measured and compared to a standard, it is not singly defined, at which point it is meaningless.
                                Nonsense. A powerful lobbyist could be defined in any number of ways. Might be how much money they spend broadly. Might be how connected they are to a particular politician. Might be how much they contribute to campaigns. Might be how much they spend on grass roots organizing.

Which is why my initial answer was sufficient. Especially since the entire question was simply a weak attempt at distraction on your part.

Comment

Working...
                                X