No announcement yet.

C Jam Blues

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C Jam Blues

I was trying to get some ideas for jazz/blues piano and found this...

Oscar just never ran out of ideas - what a monster he was.

(I provided a drum kit for Ed Thigpen once when he came to town with Oliver Jones.)

Last edited by onelife; 04-15-2019, 02:49 PM.
    I am the Awareness in which all of this takes place.

I'm actually not much of an OP fan. To me the guy was the jazz equivalent of a "shredder" - lots of flash, not a whole lot of substance. But I probably have my own bias - I generally like players who are much more harmonically adventurous than OP, and less about "licks". His technique was flawless though.

Ray Brown was the truth though!
    Last edited by Red Ant; 04-15-2019, 03:26 PM.
    Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Originally posted by Red Ant View Post
      I'm actually not much of an OP fan. To me the guy was the jazz equivalent of a "shredder" - lots of flash, not a whole lot of substance. But I probably have my own bias - I generally like players who are much more harmonically adventurous than OP, and less about "licks". His technique was flawless though.

Ray Brown was the truth though!

What do you think of George Benson?

Aside from being a fusion of Charlie Christian and Wes Montgomery with vocal chops comparable to Stevie Wonder, I've often thought of Benson as the "Oscar Peterson of the guitar."

Comment

Originally posted by onelife View Post

What do you think of George Benson?

Aside from being a fusion of Charlie Christian and Wes Montgomery with vocal chops comparable to Stevie Wonder, I've often thought of Benson as the "Oscar Peterson of the guitar."
        Which Benson - the Organ Trio guitarist Benson, the early "fusion-ish" CTI records Benson or the 1976 and onward "pop star" Benson? I like the 1st two

This is probably as good as Benson gets for me...

unlike OP, whose swing annoys the crap out of me, I LIKE the way Benson swings.
        Last edited by Red Ant; 04-15-2019, 04:25 PM.
        Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

As far digging into the past for ideas on how to swing the blues on a piano, this is probably my go-to:

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

On this one, I usually skip right past Wes and get straight to Wynton:

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

I have heard his name for a long time, but I'm not a fan of jazz at all, but I couldn't stop listening to him. I agree 100% with onelife, he is a monster & unlike most of the jazz that people/aficionados rave about, this is the kind of player that can draw in new fans...like me....even if he isn't still around. I'll definitely search out more of his playing.
              Thanks onelife.
              ''All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"--Edmund Burke
              Man created science to create what man wants science to create.

Comment

Oscar Peterson was a monster. Full stop. A "shredder"? Sorry, no. That's nothing that has ever come to mind when listening to him.

Comment

Originally posted by stratosaurus View Post
                  I have heard his name for a long time, but I'm not a fan of jazz at all, but I couldn't stop listening to him. I agree 100% with onelife, he is a monster & unlike most of the jazz that people/aficionados rave about, this is the kind of player that can draw in new fans...like me....even if he isn't still around. I'll definitely search out more of his playing.
                  Thanks onelife.

I bought this album when I was in my early twenties...

Click image for larger version

Name:	R-2951396-1308803427.jpeg.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	32506290

I was playing Rock ' n' Roll in those days and getting into blues. Although I liked the sounds and appreciated the musicianship, I felt like most of it was over my head.

I remember the "ah-ha" moment when I was casually listening to it while doing something else and realized that they were playing 12-bar blues.

Comment

Working...
                  X