Notre Dame is burning!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame is burning!

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/15/pari...e-reuters.html

The cathedral is actively burning, and they appear to be having trouble figuring out how to fight the fire due to the height of the building. This is a tremendous tragedy....

Lease this space!

I was just about to post this... hundreds of years of history are currently going up in flames. And it's not a small fire - it looks like half of it is fully engulfed in massive flames.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
    - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Holy sh**! This is historically tragic. It’ll never be the same, but I hope they can restore it. It’s a beautiful site.
      For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?
      https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Muell...ook/B07PXN468K

My (old dead) band!:
      www.steelphantoms.com/
      PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

Comment

Did some people do something?

Click image for larger version

Name:	24FE31FE-C8EE-4B25-9747-8A7189B2416D.png
Views:	1
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	32505982

Comment

Hundreds of years of old wood & varnish etc. It's a gonner...

Comment

Wayyyyy too early to speculate as to a cause of the fire.....so of course I'm going to anyway.

Either a discarded cigarette...because we know 100% of French people smoke, or a lax adherence to common sense construction safety rules especially when performing "hot work" like welding, grinding, etc.

Or a hole drilled, or saw damage to a live electrical circuit.

Not really any other possibilities IMO.

Comment

I was unbelievably lucky to get to spend a semester there. The school work was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy easier than at my actual school, so it really was just college kid play time. In addition to getting to see world-class musicians play at other cathedrals all the time--cheap/free concerts at lunch time every day around the city--and learning how to drink that year, I spent tons of time just walking along the Seine and staring at Notre Dame. I had my first iPod, and that city made for excellent visuals against the music.
              For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?

My (old dead) band!:
              www.steelphantoms.com/
              PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

Comment

Originally posted by -NPC- View Post
                Should I understand you want to turn this thread into a Muslim bashing subject?

Zip

665 - Neighbor of the Beast

Originally Posted by RobRoy: I believe that the only way Obama will remain in power is if he suspends elections. And at that point he is no longer president. He is dictator. But I don't believe he will even survive that long. It could be suicide, impeachment by BOTH parties, you name it.

Comment

Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by Zipperhead View Post

Should I understand you want to turn this thread into a Muslim bashing subject?

Zip
                    You should understand trolling when you see it and not feed them.

Comment

Originally posted by -NPC- View Post
                      Yes - I just banned you for a month for trolling.

I may not be able to prove "who" you are ATM, but I'm not going to let a suspected alt - or anyone else - get away with that kind of flagrant ToS violation either.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                      - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Very sad.
                        Hopefully they can salvage this world treasure.
                        If you're traveling to Paris in the near future and you had your heart set on touring Notre Dame, here's a wonderful consolation suggestion for you that won't disappoint; just a short walking distance from ND.
                        Sainte Chapelle
                        You may even catch a concert here.
                        Last edited by RogueGnome; 04-16-2019, 04:03 AM.
                        To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Originally posted by -NPC-;n32500008

Trump is not creepy. He is lovable and charming.

Comment

Indeed! There’s a lot of other beautiful architecture and wonderful cathedrals.... Notre Dame just has the best location. A whole island to itself.

My (old dead) band!:
                          www.steelphantoms.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RGx2 View Post
                            Yeah, it's understandable that some would snipe at Trump's advice, but they did actually consider it - and decided against it due to concerns it would destroy the walls due to the weight of the water, and due to concerns about the amount of bystanders nearby...

IMO, it wasn't a totally stupid idea - it just wasn't practical.

But OTOH, there's going to have to be an investigation looking into the cause of the fire, and examination of the disaster plan (if any) to deal with something like this occurring. There should have been SOME kind of plan in place; especially in light of the renovation work that it was undergoing.

They'll probably try to rebuild / restore what they can, but sooo much of what was housed inside of that cathedral is gone forever - again, hundreds of years of history... gone.

- George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by RGx2 View Post
                              Yeah!...No.

His Grace, The Being That Knows All: Trump, already suggested that. See what happens when you put a minimum of 24K pounds of water on a masonry building that lost it's sole means of support for the walls.

Can you say Rubble Pile?

I can see using helo's with Bambi buckets to do strategic drops but not fixed wings.
                              Sprinkles are for winners...

Comment

Working...
                              X