No announcement yet.

Happy Tax Day!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onelife View Post

I thought the thread title was "Happy" Tax Day.

Am I missing something?
    Tax day has happy connotations for me... it’s my little sister’s birthday.

OTOH, I used to tease her about that when we were kids. As I used to tell her, “you were born on income tax day, while *I* was born on Mom’s birthday - which one do you think she remembers more fondly?

A bit mean? Yes.... but it was the obligatory big brother thing - I HAD to tease her about something...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
    - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Am I missing something?
      Lease this space!

Comment

Am I missing something?
        Conservatives view Tax Day like Native Americans view Thanksgiving.

Comment

Mine didn't go up as much as I was fearing. I have about $10K in deductions that are excluded now so I was expecting it to be worse.

Doing taxes was more complex, not less complex. Yes, most taxpayers got a tax break, but not large enough to notice. The slight bump in paycheck amount was partially attributable to the tax cut, but equally attributable to the fact that many were suddenly underwithholding without realizing that anything had changed.

Comment

I paid a lot more this year to state and fed, but this was due mostly to capital gains and to a lesser extent, the loss of deductions.
            To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Originally posted by -NPC-;n32500008

Trump is not creepy. He is lovable and charming.

Comment

Beware the ides of April!
              My band!:
              www.steelphantoms.com/
              my stage stuff:
              fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

Comment

More importantly, what is financing the tax cuts?

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Give people sugar, they will gladly piss on the future.
                George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.
                Venezuela is what happens when you have Trump without the Madison.

Comment

Originally posted by arcadesonfire View Post
                  Ide love to!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoot Owl View Post
                    More importantly, what is financing the tax cuts?
                    Even if you believe the treasury's rosiest, most optimistic theories about the trickle down effect the tax cut will have on the economy, it still will cost $1T by the time it expires.

Comment

Our tax deductions decreased 26%. However, the effective tax rate on gross income still decreased 0.2% from 2017 to 2018. I will call that a wash.

Comment

"There's one for you, nineteen for me..."

US Tax rates 1960: https://www.tax-brackets.org/federaltaxtable/1961 My then 40 year old parents were in the 22% bracket. Observe the upper tax brackets. The top rate was 91%. The highest tax bracket today is 37%. The federal budget was balanced in 1960. Is this what MAGA people want?
                        "Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has." - Martin Luther

Comment

Originally posted by capitalist View Post
                          "There's one for you, nineteen for me..."

US Tax rates 1960: https://www.tax-brackets.org/federaltaxtable/1961 My then 40 year old parents were in the 22% bracket. Observe the upper tax brackets. The top rate was 91%. The highest tax bracket today is 37%. The federal budget was balanced in 1960. Is this what MAGA people want?
                          Top tax brackets are irrelevant. Look at the actual collected rates. You'll notice that the rates actually paid by the top 10% haven't changed much since WWII. What HAS changed is the rates paid by the bottom 50%. Look it up.
                          Lease this space!

Comment

I knew as early as mid-2018 that we were gonna be hosed on tax day this year so perhaps preparing for that eventuality somewhat softened the blow just knowing in advance that we weren’t really going to be ambushed unknowingly on April 15.

A bit more of a shocker was our monthly sales taxes which I learned of at our CPA’s office just yesterday. I realize that this one affects only business owners and not the general public per se but it can really add to one’s out-of-pocket load when it confronts you, especially in April. Oh, and property taxes were also due on April 10, conveniently timed in the somewhat unlikely event that you may have had any delusions of actually getting ahead this month!
                            Originally posted by GTRMAN;n31424311

The hijacking of the Republican party by the religious right really did send the party into a tailspin of fundamentalism and black/white politics. It's really scary how it transformed the party.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

Tax day has happy connotations for me... it’s my little sister’s birthday.

OTOH, I used to tease her about that when we were kids. As I used to tell her, “you were born on income tax day, while *I* was born on Mom’s birthday - which one do you think she remembers more fondly?

A bit mean? Yes.... but it was the obligatory big brother thing - I HAD to tease her about something...

It's my oldest sister's birthday.
                              "Truth is what stands the test of experience."

...Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by arcadesonfire View Post
                                "April is the cruelest month."

...T.S. Eliot
                                "Truth is what stands the test of experience."

...Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...