Hundreds witness veteran shoot and kill himself in VA waiting room

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hundreds witness veteran shoot and kill himself in VA waiting room

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...zVdKKoP7xqdgE8

It's a disgrace that this country has so miserably failed in it's care of our veterans.
    Guns Over People

I pledge my allegiance to David Hogg and Emma Gonzalez!!!

if you have suggestions on how this country can prevent veterans from killing themselves, please share.

Comment

Originally posted by goodhonk View Post
      if you have suggestions on how this country can prevent veterans from killing themselves, please share.
      Increase spending on veterans care/benefits in order to provide more facilities and medical professionals. Either move the money from other military spending or increase taxes on those who can afford it and have had the most material protected by our military.
      Last edited by arcadesonfire; 04-12-2019, 06:20 PM.
      My band!:
      www.steelphantoms.com/
      my stage stuff:
      fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

Comment

Originally posted by arcadesonfire View Post

Increase spending on veterans care/benefits in order to provide more facilities and medical professionals. Either move the money from other military spending or increase taxes on those who can afford it and have had the most material protected by our military.
        I don't know that we need to increase taxes, I think if we had efficiency experts go through govco they could come up with plenty of money after trimming a crap load of fat.

Comment

Originally posted by arcadesonfire View Post

Why aren’t the current programs working?

Do we want to give more money to programs that fail?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoddy View Post
            Hundreds witness veteran shoot and kill himself in VA waiting room

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...zVdKKoP7xqdgE8

It's a disgrace that this country has so miserably failed in it's care of our veterans.
            The Veterans' Admission has indeed failed many military veterans.
            The rest of the healthcare system has failed the poor, the elderly,
            the disabled and others who can't afford to take care of themselves.
            Such is the Dickensian way of some "conservatives" who have it
            all and won't share.

Comment

Why aren’t the current programs working?

Do we want to give more money to programs that fail?
              An analogy:

'Here is a 12-oz glass. We shall now pour 13 ounces of water into it. Wait, the glass overflowed! Let's just get rid of the glass and dump the water on the table. since obviously the glass is useless.'

The current programs are working as best they can under the limitations they have. Decrease the limitations, increase funding and targeted areas and you now have a 16-oz glass.

I've tried to make this as simple as possible. Let me know if it's still too difficult to understand. Here to help.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Originally Posted by MattACaster : *Runs 2 blocks down the street to Guitar Center, grabs detuned Schecter off the wall, plugs into Line6 Spider and proceeds to bring teh brootalz*

Comment

Originally posted by flemtone View Post

An analogy:

'Here is a 12-oz glass. We shall now pour 13 ounces of water into it. Wait, the glass overflowed! Let's just get rid of the glass and dump the water on the table. since obviously the glass is useless.'

The current programs are working as best they can under the limitations they have. Decrease the limitations, increase funding and targeted areas and you now have a 16-oz glass.

I've tried to make this as simple as possible. Let me know if it's still too difficult to understand. Here to help.
                I think I understand what you are saying.

You are of the opinion that the programs they have work very well, just understaffed and/or underfunded?

do you have a link to support that? Please highlight the parts that make those claims for me, because of my obvious limited understanding.

Comment

Interesting that the story says nothing about the quality of care he was receiving or the circumstances that led to his suicide.

Yet we're all here lending opinions on the VA system as a solution.

Comment

You are of the opinion that the programs they have work very well, just understaffed and/or underfunded?

do you have a link to support that? Please highlight the parts that make those claims for me, because of my obvious limited understanding.
                    No, I do not have a link nor is one needed. As you yourself have said, "You are of the opinion" (see bolded above). That said, it is my opinion also that common sense would support my view. I know personally several Vets who have benefited from the VA for mental and emotional issues post-active service, thus my opinion that the programs work for some but need to be expanded and funded to be of greater benefit to the Veteran community. They deserve it.
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by MattACaster : *Runs 2 blocks down the street to Guitar Center, grabs detuned Schecter off the wall, plugs into Line6 Spider and proceeds to bring teh brootalz*

Comment

Originally posted by flemtone View Post

No, I do not have a link nor is one needed. As you yourself have said, "You are of the opinion" (see bolded above). That said, it is my opinion also that common sense would support my view. I know personally several Vets who have benefited from the VA for mental and emotional issues post-active service, thus my opinion that the programs work for some but need to be expanded and funded to be of greater benefit to the Veteran community. They deserve it.
                      Fair enough. You said it with such authority and to my shame that I wrongly assumed you could back it up.

Comment

Based on what I’ve seen and read,

1. some vets can’t deal w/ VA’s cold-turkey withdrawal from prescribing opioids after becoming addicted to opioids via VA prescriptions. This has resulted in several on-premises suicides.

2. Claim delays, denials and lack of liveable compensation rates are problems and always have been.

#1 is a problem specific to the Trump administration

#2 is not. I’ve seen measurable improvements in claims processing during DJT’s admin.
                        Last edited by Etienne Rambert; 04-14-2019, 01:46 PM.
                        He has escaped! Youtube , ​Murika , France

Comment

I'm in the queue with a number I got through a sponsor 2 years ago. It will be called one day - I'm assured. No sweat. I can still get by. The fellers who can't need to be taken care of now. The physical disabilities they carry morph into mental disorders for many of them if prompt attention can't be given and maintained. Minimally, they feel abandoned and need reassurances that the system is on point. Unfortunately, the opposite is what's the norm.

I had a guy (65) in my shop screaming over the phone at a VA rep that galvanized everyone within earshot. He was close to tears. I had to take him aside and let him talk it out in a manner that he should have been able to with the VA, where it counts for something, instead of venting on anyone who would take the time to listen to him. Sometimes vets can manage their troubles when in the company of other vets who share the same experiences. Sometimes they can't.
                          - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Citizens and Residents Of The United States and U.S Persons - USA PATRIOT Act Notice: You are hereby notified that under the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, you may be placed under electronic surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site by intelligence or law enforcement agencies at any time or for any purpose for which they may deem fit, without your knowledge or permission and without the order or supervision of any court of law. As the provisions of the Act strictly prohibit, with fines and imprisonment, the managers of this site from disclosing such surveillance should it become known to us, you should assume that you are under surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site, electronic mail or any other form of electronic communication related thereto.

Comment

Hu
                            Originally posted by Etienne Rambert View Post
                            Based on what I’ve seen and read,

1. some vets can’t deal w/ VA’s cold-turkey withdrawal from prescribing opioids after becoming addicted to opioids via VA prescriptions. This has resulted in several on-premises suicides.

2. Claim delays, denials and lack of liveable compensation rates are problems and always have been.

#1 is a problem specific to the Trump administration

#2 is not. I’ve seen measurable improvements in claims processing during DJT’s admin.
                            I’m not sure what you’ve been reading re: point #1

https://psmag.com/news/va-prescribing-fewer-opioids

while VA opioid RX are down considerably, it isn’t absolute, and seems to have begun around 2014.

Comment

From many of the veterans I know, the prevailing opinion is that the red tape and waiting periods are a nightmare, but once they get through that, the care they receive is top notch.

Comment

Working...
                              X