No announcement yet.

So my amp was vibrating...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arcadesonfire View Post

That could contribute. This church was built in the 1880s, and the actual (enormous) sanctuary has been closed and getting refurbished for years. I suspect that’s why the electric circuit is screwy. And maybe they turn on some kind air conditioning or humidifier in there at night.

Either way, I’m thinking I should get a loaner for the Sunday show (which is in an actual performance space, with proper grounding I assume).
    Probably a good idea. Although, it does take some of the enjoyment out of it by using gear you’re not familiar with, at least in my experience.

Comment

IMO, the very first thing to do is to plug it into a properly grounded AC outlet and test it again.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
      - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
      - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
      - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
        IMO, the very first thing to do is to plug it into a properly grounded AC outlet and test it again.
        I've actually been dating for the first time in years... Got a hot date tonight, actually, a two-month anniversary with a lady........ Buuuut maybe it'd be a good test of the relationship's potential if I say "sorry, gotta test my amp out!!" and she's OK with cancelling the date.
        Last edited by arcadesonfire; 03-15-2019, 10:02 AM.
        My band!:
        www.steelphantoms.com/
        my stage stuff:
        fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

Comment

I've actually been dating for the first time in years... Got a hot date tonight, actually, a two-month anniversary with a lady........ Buuuut maybe it'd be a good test of the relationship's potential if I say "sorry, gotta test my amp out!!" and she's OK with cancelling the date.
          Can't you just test the amp tomorrow morning instead? No sense risking disappointing or ticking off the lady if you don't have to...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
          - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
          - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
          - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

Can't you just test the amp tomorrow morning instead? No sense risking disappointing or ticking off the lady if you don't have to...
            She better get used to guitar player priorities right from the outset.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by MattACaster : *Runs 2 blocks down the street to Guitar Center, grabs detuned Schecter off the wall, plugs into Line6 Spider and proceeds to bring teh brootalz*

Comment

I was joking. I'll have all day tomorrow to figure the amp out.

.... Leaving it (the amp) sitting there, never used, for over a year was not smart. Even worse things I've done include: Leaving my crappy es-335 in a case, unplayed, for like 2 years. It is currently unplayable beyond the 4th fret, in dire need of a professional setup. Much worse was leaving my Taylor dreadnought in a soft case for multiple years, through multiple seasons, unplayed. The neck is bent as f***.

Take this lesson to the bank friends: Treat your gear right. Play with it even when you don't need to. Don't neglect your gear!!
              Last edited by arcadesonfire; 03-15-2019, 10:32 AM.
              My band!:
              www.steelphantoms.com/
              my stage stuff:
              fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

Comment

If you have to borrow your friend's HRD there is an easy way to tame it down. The effects loop (Pre Amp Out - Power Amp In) is at guitar level. In fact, you can plug a guitar directly into the Power Amp In and get a reasonable amount of volume.

I've discovered that guitar pedals, such as compressors and equalizers that have the ability to attenuate the signal, work as a true Master Volume for the entire amplifier when placed in the effects loop allowing the preamp to be turned up. This allows much finer control over the volume and tone of the amp and provides a huge improvement in the signal to noise ratio.

I am the Awareness in which all of this takes place.

Comment

Maybe it picked up some waves from the physics thread, or maybe it’s fixin to explode....

I was using my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for the first time in over a year tonight. Rehearsal for a community show tune showcase. After about three hours, I noticed it had developed a low hum. I dont think it was 60hz hum. But the church DIDN’T HAVE A GROUNDED CIRCUIT. (It had three-prong plugs, but my power strip showed no grounding.)

Worse, I felt the amp, and the AMP WAS LITERALLY VIBRATING. The whole body of it was vibrating. I don’t think the hum was coming through the speaker, just the whole amp vibrating. (I could be wrong.) Could 60 hi hum from a speaker make the whole thing vibrate?

When flipped to standby, the vibrating stopped.

Anybody ever had this before? Heard of it? Will it kill me, or break down on stage, which would be worse than death.
                  Stein is right, caps go bad over time played or unplayed. But the vibrating thing could be demonic possession. Ungrounded church could b ripe for an infestation of demons. Maybe sprinkle some holy water on your amp.

"Capacitor makers specify a storage life of only five to seven years for their products; a cap that has been sitting for several years may fail soon after being turned on. This why I think that hunting down “vintage” new old stock (NOS) electrolytics is a bad choice. They are probably going to fail sooner rather than later. It is possible to “reform” the oxide insulating layer through a technical process, but this is a tricky process to do correctly. A vintage amp that has been sitting in a closet for 20 years may need a cap job immediately." https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...-of-amp-caps-1

I'm not a rookie

Comment

Ah, interesting. In that case, these caps had already lived beyond an expected lifespan.

Wellp, I’m learning a valuable life lesson here. And I’m very lucky I have a few friends I can turn to.
                    My band!:
                    www.steelphantoms.com/
                    my stage stuff:

Comment

Originally posted by onelife View Post
                      If you have to borrow your friend's HRD there is an easy way to tame it down. The effects loop (Pre Amp Out - Power Amp In) is at guitar level. In fact, you can plug a guitar directly into the Power Amp In and get a reasonable amount of volume.

I've discovered that guitar pedals, such as compressors and equalizers that have the ability to attenuate the signal, work as a true Master Volume for the entire amplifier when placed in the effects loop allowing the preamp to be turned up. This allows much finer control over the volume and tone of the amp and provides a huge improvement in the signal to noise ratio.
                      That’s good thinking! I’ve even seen people selling supposed volume boosts for this amp on eBay that are just passive volume pots to put in the Fx loop. I’ve got a compressor that could be a good candidate.
                      My band!:
                      www.steelphantoms.com/
                      my stage stuff:

Comment

I had a singer one touch his lip to a mic while playing his guitar and it dropped him. That stuff is serious as a heart attack(no pun intended). We all hear stories about the preachers getting in the holy water with a microphone, usually doesn’t turn out good.

Comment

Originally posted by redEL34 View Post
                          I had a singer one touch his lip to a mic while playing his guitar and it dropped him. That stuff is serious as a heart attack(no pun intended). We all hear stories about the preachers getting in the holy water with a microphone, usually doesn’t turn out good.
                          I have no doubt my old Silvertone head need new caps. It also can dole out a sharp bite, but nothing like this:

"This is the kind of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put."

...Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by thankyou View Post

I have no doubt my old Silvertone head need new caps. It also can dole out a sharp bite, but nothing like this:
                            Yeah, that`s classic.

Comment

I had it plugged into a good power source last night for at least 30 min. No guitar plugged in, but I had both switched turned ON ...

No vibrations!! No weird hum. I’ll get a longer trial today, w guitar and pedals plugged in.
                              My band!:
                              www.steelphantoms.com/
                              my stage stuff:

Comment

perhaps the outlet you were plugged in was wired backwards.

Comment

Working...
                                X