No announcement yet.

So my amp was vibrating...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So my amp was vibrating...

Maybe it picked up some waves from the physics thread, or maybe it’s fixin to explode....

I was using my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for the first time in over a year tonight. Rehearsal for a community show tune showcase. After about three hours, I noticed it had developed a low hum. I dont think it was 60hz hum. But the church DIDN’T HAVE A GROUNDED CIRCUIT. (It had three-prong plugs, but my power strip showed no grounding.)

Worse, I felt the amp, and the AMP WAS LITERALLY VIBRATING. The whole body of it was vibrating. I don’t think the hum was coming through the speaker, just the whole amp vibrating. (I could be wrong.) Could 60 hi hum from a speaker make the whole thing vibrate?

When flipped to standby, the vibrating stopped.

Anybody ever had this before? Heard of it? Will it kill me, or break down on stage, which would be worse than death.
    Last edited by arcadesonfire; 03-14-2019, 11:18 PM.
    My band!:
    www.steelphantoms.com/
    my stage stuff:
    fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

That's a little scary. I would probably get it looked at, or at least google the symptoms. I used to have an old blackface pro reverb that was always electrocuting me, but it just sounded so damn good it was kinda worth it.

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

I would’ve sat on it myself. Hey, any thrill st my age. 😆
      Last edited by Yakburger; 03-15-2019, 08:41 AM.

Comment

How old is the HRD? I used one for a few years in before I gave up playing live. I swapped out the speaker and never used the drive channel and never had any probs with it. Nice little amp.
        Last edited by Yakburger; 03-15-2019, 12:28 AM.

Comment

I'm guessing your amp uses a 6X5 tube. Maybe the vibration is normal.

Note: If you don't get the joke you're not old enough.
          (The US will not survive the obama presidency. The world may not either.) Cuban Leaf

Comment

It just couldn't contain your level of awesome.

Either that or ghawd's sending you a message.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Originally Posted by MattACaster : *Runs 2 blocks down the street to Guitar Center, grabs detuned Schecter off the wall, plugs into Line6 Spider and proceeds to bring teh brootalz*

Comment

Thanks for the advice (ummmm) everybody. Today I’m all booked up, but I can plug it into a trusty power source tonight...

I don’t know if a ground loop problem (between amp and my big pedalboard power supply) could have developed inside the power strip???

Anyway, I’ll be able to plug it into a trusty outlet for a long time tomorrow. If the same problem occurs, I will beg friends for a loaner.

A dude in the choir was saying he has an HRD and it’s way too loud. I could use his, but it wouldn’t have all the mods I’ve made! I explained to him that it’s deceptively loud because Fender purposefully used the wrong king of volume pot.
              My band!:
              www.steelphantoms.com/
              my stage stuff:
              fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

Comment

You probably have a combination of a couple of things going on.

If you haven't used the amp in over a year, you may have killed the filter caps in the power supply. Electrolytic capacitors have an oxide layer that requires some level of charge to stay in place. After months/years of time sitting discharged, they oxide layer degrades and the cap no longer functions. The normal symptom in an audio amp is a lot of 120 Hz hum. (Yes, it's 120 Hz, because it's been full-wave rectified).

The physical vibration would likely be from a transformer. This can be caused by simple mechanical degradation (or even loose mounting screws), or it can be caused by a very high AC current overloading/saturating the core.

The two could combine to give you the hum you are hearing, and that vibration you are feeling.

Lease this space!

Comment

Maybe it's gas.

Comment

Originally posted by nedezero1 View Post
                    Maybe it's gas.
                    Classical gas?

Lease this space!

Comment

This only happened after 3 hours of using it?

I bet someone turned something else on in that circuit.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack View Post

Classical gas?

You just triggered Anton!

Comment

Originally posted by Yakburger View Post
                          How old is the HRD? I used one for a few years in before I gave up playing live. I swapped out the speaker and never used the drive channel and never had any probs with it. Nice little amp.
                          I believe it's from 1998. And yep, I've swapped out the speaker, swapped out the volume pot, swapped out a few other parts inside that I can't remember (just followed instructions from interwebz like 15 years ago). That all made it better, the speaker being most important.

Also, if you swap out one of the preamp tubes for a 12AY7, suddenly the drive channel becomes useable. I mean, I still prefer a pedal into the clean, but the drive channel can become useable--and can somehow pull off a decent Brian May sound (which is still a niche tone, but better than crap).
                          My band!:
                          www.steelphantoms.com/
                          my stage stuff:

Comment

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack View Post
                            You probably have a combination of a couple of things going on.

If you haven't used the amp in over a year, you may have killed the filter caps in the power supply. Electrolytic capacitors have an oxide layer that requires some level of charge to stay in place. After months/years of time sitting discharged, they oxide layer degrades and the cap no longer functions. The normal symptom in an audio amp is a lot of 120 Hz hum. (Yes, it's 120 Hz, because it's been full-wave rectified).

The physical vibration would likely be from a transformer. This can be caused by simple mechanical degradation (or even loose mounting screws), or it can be caused by a very high AC current overloading/saturating the core.

The two could combine to give you the hum you are hearing, and that vibration you are feeling.
                            Oh crap. That sounds very serious. Crap crap crap. OK. I think I will try to borrow a friend's amp for this gig. My plexi clone is not fit for this kind of music.

I do remember once, many, many, many many years ago, one of the screws on the side holding the chassis to the cab came way out, like a whole inch out of the amp, while I was playing. So I will go around and screw everything in real tight before a test run tomorrow.

But if electronic components can go bad due to lack of use, then I'd believe that's my issue.
                            My band!:
                            www.steelphantoms.com/
                            my stage stuff:

Comment

Originally posted by -NPC- View Post
                              This only happened after 3 hours of using it?

I bet someone turned something else on in that circuit.
                              That could contribute. This church was built in the 1880s, and the actual (enormous) sanctuary has been closed and getting refurbished for years. I suspect that’s why the electric circuit is screwy. And maybe they turn on some kind air conditioning or humidifier in there at night.

Either way, I’m thinking I should get a loaner for the Sunday show (which is in an actual performance space, with proper grounding I assume).
                              My band!:
                              www.steelphantoms.com/
                              my stage stuff:

Comment

Working...
                              X