Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think that maybe they should put Mike Matthews in charge of dealing with the problem of China stealing intellectual property...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think that maybe they should put Mike Matthews in charge of dealing with the problem of China stealing intellectual property...

Why? Because he's effective at dealing with crooks who steal intellectual property.

I just got this in the mail... it's just one example of many where China, Chinese hackers, and Chinese based companies blatantly steal from American companies. And it needs to stop.

-------------

"Chinese pirates of Electro-Harmonix software walk the plank!"

Shenzhen MooerAudio Co., Ltd., a Chinese manufacturer and marketer of electronic effects pedals, was flagrantly infringing on EHX's copyrighted software. Two of Mooer's effects pedals, an organ simulator named the "Mooergan" and an octave pedal called the "Tender Octaver" included exact copies of the compiled software contained in EHX's C9 Organ Machine and Micro POG pedals.

The infringement was so bold and blatant that Shenzhen Mooer audaciously copied the Electro-Harmonix copyright notice in the software powering the C9 and Micro POG. After becoming aware of this piracy, Electro-Harmonix retained counsel and aggressively sought recourse.

EHX President, Mike Matthews, stated: "Electro-Harmonix has successfully won battles with labor racketeers in the U.S.A. and ruthless mobsters in Russia. After almost two years of fighting the Chinese courts have awarded Electro-Harmonix a nearly six figure judgement. Our victory is now complete and these pirates have walked the plank!"

© 2019, Electro-Harmonix
    All trademarks and registered trademarks appearing in this email are the property of their respective owners.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
    - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

I'd love to get one of their Synth9 pedals!

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
      Phil O'Keefe commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too. I have a couple of the other ones in the series, but not that one.

Nearly six figure judgement? Am I missing something here? I'd have been impressed with "nearly 8 figure. Six figure? Not so much.

Comment

• RogueGnome
      RogueGnome commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, that was my first thought when I read this.

• 1001gear
      1001gear commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty lame actually. Just another sign of who's planet boss.

The problem is that the Chinese believe they should do this. It's wired into them. It's not something they hide. For them to rip off an idea is a badge of honor. How do you fight that and their government doesn't seem to care or just gives it lip service.
    If someone is condescending to a Trump supporter it’s because, first of all, they aren’t being very polite. Secondly it’s because they find it incredibly difficult to understand how someone can witness this presidency and still support it. It would seem to require either outright ignorance, extreme cognitive dissonance, or a lack of a substantial grasp of reality and how the world works. Or all of the above.

Comment

• erok123
      erok123 commented
      Editing a comment
      This.

the pirates have walked the plank! now they will have to change the name of their pedals and the control layouts while producing more clones.
    {O,O}
    (__(\
    " "

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Furgison View Post
      the pirates have walked the plank! now they will have to change the name of their pedals and the control layouts while producing more clones.
      Not exactly a ‘death blow’.
      I’m sure someone will loan China $100,000.
      To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Furgison View Post
        You left off come up with their own software (the very heart of those pedals) instead of merely copying what EHX did, right down to the actual copyright notice.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
        - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Originally posted by RogueGnome View Post

Not exactly a ‘death blow’.
          I’m sure someone will loan China $100,000.

No... but do you have any idea how often this kind of stuff happens? It's way too common; and far too few American companies are successful at winning anything when they try to challenge it. That's what makes this news noteworthy, much more so than the amount of the actual award.

The government sets up a Department of Commerce booth (we'll see if it's there this year or not) at NAMM each year with information, advice and things to be cautious about when doing business with China, including intellectual property issues dealing with everything from software to books and unlicensed production and outright forgeries. It's a significant issue for the MI products industry.

- George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Telecruiser View Post
            The problem is that the Chinese believe they should do this. It's wired into them. It's not something they hide. For them to rip off an idea is a badge of honor. How do you fight that and their government doesn't seem to care or just gives it lip service.
            Excellent question.

Short of not doing business with them at all, I don't know how you'd make much of an impact on it, short of making darn sure every agreement with them is as ironclad as you can make it, and preferably owning the places there where your products are being made... and being as diligent as you can in doing what little you can to try to fight it using Chinese and international law.

- George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by erok123 View Post
              I'd love to get one of their Synth9 pedals!

I lost count on how many times I've watched that vid since that pedal first came out. It was on my Xmas list, but it never showed up.
              Originally posted by MrKnobs
              God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

Well, that's globalism comfortably at work. What's mine is mine, what's yours is mine. Physical borders keep the bodies out but minds are free to trespass with impunity upon anyone's property. I think Behringer has a shop-worn rep for copying and reproducing with cheap labor & materials. The notion that "it" should stop defies a species' mantra of If you're not cheating you're not trying as a way of life since time immemorial. Call up all your dusty sets of morals and ethics you can, to pander them to a world market as words to live by, but don't be surprised if you're thanked for your comedy relief.
                - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Citizens and Residents Of The United States and U.S Persons - USA PATRIOT Act Notice: You are hereby notified that under the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, you may be placed under electronic surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site by intelligence or law enforcement agencies at any time or for any purpose for which they may deem fit, without your knowledge or permission and without the order or supervision of any court of law. As the provisions of the Act strictly prohibit, with fines and imprisonment, the managers of this site from disclosing such surveillance should it become known to us, you should assume that you are under surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site, electronic mail or any other form of electronic communication related thereto.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

You left off come up with their own software (the very heart of those pedals) instead of merely copying what EHX did, right down to the actual copyright notice.
                  that sounds like a lot of work. i was reluctant to give them the benefit of the doubt on changing the layout of the controls.
                  {O,O}
                  (__(\
                  " "

Comment

Originally posted by Cornholio Farquarth III View Post

I lost count on how many times I've watched that vid since that pedal first came out. It was on my Xmas list, but it never showed up.
                    Maybe Santa thought you needed teepee for your bunghole last year more than a new pedal?

- George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

Maybe Santa thought you needed teepee for your bunghole last year more than a new pedal?
                      Well, I did need plenty of that and lots of other practical things. I told my GF to get me practical things and made up a list which included the Synth 9. She said she got me almost everything I asked for. GRRRRR
                      Originally posted by MrKnobs
                      God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

Originally posted by Cornholio Farquarth III View Post
                        She said she got me almost everything I asked for. GRRRRR
                        Mojo sent.

When's your birthday?

- George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                        X