For the 7th straight year, Visa overstays surpass illeagal border crossings

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the 7th straight year, Visa overstays surpass illeagal border crossings

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/16/68605...rder-crossings

One reason why the wall is a stupid idea.
    Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.

So when you're building a wall, bring your Visa, because President Trump doesn't like immigrants, and he doesn't take American Express.

Visa, It's Everywhere You Want To Be.
    Last edited by E-money; 01-17-2019, 10:47 AM.

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
    For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
    Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

Originally posted by erok123 View Post
      https://www.npr.org/2019/01/16/68605...rder-crossings

One reason why the wall is a stupid idea.
      So, two wrongs make a right? More liberal logic.
      "I belong to,a religion that calls for the hatered and stupidity. My religious beliefs doesn't allow me to serve Trumplethinskin or his trumpanzees"- oldsoapbars

Comment

• Tom Hicks
        Tom Hicks commented
        Editing a comment
        No but three lefts make a right.

Try it sometime.

Please -- more about liberal logic. veeger requires the information

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Figgy View Post

Aw, more "substance".

I'm not allowed to name the "substance" in question by name.

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.

Comment

This is some of the strongest information which undercuts the wall.

what you mean most people did not sneak across the border?

Is This Thing On?

https://soundcloud.com/tom-hicks888

Comment

These people are so scared of the Orange Menace that they took a plane instead of jumping the wall.
          "Truth is what stands the test of experience."

...Albert Einstein

Comment

BUT I WANT A WALL!!!!!!!!!!
            tRump is NO star player. The ball simply bounced in his direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Figgy View Post

Liberal logic is to insure that what steps is taken to address illegal immigration will be the most effective methods of control for the money spent, and so far nothing has demonstrated that erecting fencing along portions of the border meets that criteria.

Comment

A sincere question: how do they know just how many people are coming in over the border illegally if those people are not being caught? IOW, how can they determine which is worse (illegal border crossings vs. visa overstays) without being able to accurately count the number of people who don't get caught crossing the border?

The visa overstay number is relatively easy to determine by comparison since they have records and know who came in, and whether or not they left. The illegal border crossings, not so much.... unless I'm overlooking something, which is why I'm asking...

Regardless of the answer to that question, IMO, neither should be ignored; it doesn't matter which is "worse" if both are a significant source of people being in the US without authorization. IMO, both parts of the problem (as well as others) need to be addressed, which is (again) why I support a comprehensive approach to the problem.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

• bildo
                  bildo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Come on Phil...reason is not supposed to be part of the equation.

Originally posted by BadDaddy View Post

Liberal logic is to insure that what steps is taken to address illegal immigration will be the most effective methods of control for the money spent, and so far nothing has demonstrated that erecting fencing along portions of the border meets that criteria.
                Nothing, really? Have you heard about gated communities?

Comment

• Tom Hicks
                  Tom Hicks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They are associated with homeowners associations which regulate even such Minor Details as what kind of bushes you can plant or how you paint your house.

Let's not make the mistake of extending those authoritarian tendencies onto a national scale.

• Daehtihs
                  Daehtihs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm talking about the fencing Tom.

• Cornholio Farquarth III
                  Editing a comment
                  Walls and fences are useless. How many people break into military installations? Say wha? Hardly any?

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
                A sincere question: how do they know just how many people are coming in over the border illegally if those people are not being caught? IOW, how can they determine which is worse (illegal border crossings vs. visa overstays) without being able to accurately count the number of people who don't get caught crossing the border?

The visa overstay number is relatively easy to determine by comparison since they have records and know who came in, and whether or not they left. The illegal border crossings, not so much.... unless I'm overlooking something, which is why I'm asking...

Regardless of the answer to that question, IMO, neither should be ignored; it doesn't matter which is "worse" if both are a significant source of people being in the US without authorization. IMO, both parts of the problem (as well as others) need to be addressed, which is (again) why I support a comprehensive approach to the problem.
                Beyond knowing how many are here. The fed, state and municipalities use the census data to do long term infrastructure planning. By example, I have a co-worker who is an Indian national. He uses the same infrastructure that I do. It's imperative to understand the growth/decline and demographic to do what is in the best interest (of who is always the debate). Whether here legally or not the impact on budgets and infrastructure is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Daehtihs View Post

Nothing, really? Have you heard about gated communities?
                  I lived in a gated community. It sure didn’t stop people from getting in and out. In fact crimes there were a little higher than neighboring ungated communities.

Comment

• Daehtihs
                    Daehtihs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Of course you lived in a gated community where crime was higher inside than outside the fencing. Are you sure you weren't in prison? lol!

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
                  Because it is an "unknowable", they use extrapolation. The make an informed estimate based on number of captures, number of missed captures (they got away), number of people caught later on, witness reports, local law enforcement estimates and physical evidence (abandoned campouts, garbage on known routes, etc).
                  Last edited by BA.Barcolounger; 01-17-2019, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BA.Barcolounger View Post

Because it is an "unknowable", they use extrapolation. The make an informed estimate based on number of captures, number of missed captures (they got away), number of people caught later on, witness reports, local law enforcement estimates and physical evidence (abandoned campouts, garbage on known routes, etc).
                    Yea but how do they know

Comment

Working...
                    X