Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

$15/Hr Minimum Wage, Dems are poised to make a statement.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by erok123 View Post

So you think the government should subsidize private sector profits with welfare programs? Because that's exactly what's happening.
    Really? Please explain how this works, exactly. Are you suggesting that if we removed those welfare programs that the market value of a fast food burger wpuld magically increase?

Please explain how the welfare system reduces the market price of the goods and services produced by low- and unskilled llabor.
    Lease this space!

Comment

Originally posted by panhandler View Post

I think I'm beginning to understand what is wrong with this country. It's this kind of thinking that's tearing us apart.

Hate and lies!
      lol Yes, let's disregard economics 101 and call it hate and lies.

Comment

So you think the government should subsidize private sector profits with welfare programs? Because that's exactly what's happening.
        The government isn't subsidizing anything, that's the mistake you're making. The private sector is paying the wages and the taxes used for welfare. Th government only adds a big fat expensive fee to the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Figgy View Post

The government isn't subsidizing anything, that's the mistake you're making. The private sector is paying the wages and the taxes used for welfare. Th government only adds a big fat expensive fee to the equation.
          I disagree. Walmart is a prime example. They get subsidies from both ends. Tax breaks, plus subsidized workers.

http://www.jwj.org/walmarts-food-sta...one-easy-chart
          Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.

Comment

Seen this happen a couple times now with my wife's job. She works in a convenience store/gas station, makes barely more than minimum wage. Every time the state raises the minimum wage, prices increase, and not just at her store---everywhere.

On a more personal note, she has stuck with this company long enough now, and done good enough work, that she now enjoys a very rare position---a full-time employee with holiday pay, paid time off and some benefits available. She refuses to move "up" into management because those poor people are abused half to death in this business.
            I not only resent the allegation, I resent the alligator!

Comment

I disagree. Walmart is a prime example. They get subsidies from both ends. Tax breaks, plus subsidized workers.

http://www.jwj.org/walmarts-food-sta...one-easy-chart
              You don't seem to be grasping the root concept. EVERYTHING comes from the private sector. Anything the "government" spends comes from the private sector in the form of taxation. You can debate the optics, meaning it appears the "government" is paying for this or that, but it is the private sector generating those dollars. The more you hamper the free market, the more demands you make on it, the more you leech from it, try to control it, and mold it, the more unnatural it becomes. The free market sets wages. Tampering with it has consequences, and many negative unintended consequences. That hs always been the problem with the left. They want to control everything, and often that is harmful. Look at labor unions.On the surface, they seem good. But in the end, they drove manufacturing out of the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Danocoustic View Post
                Seen this happen a couple times now with my wife's job. She works in a convenience store/gas station, makes barely more than minimum wage. Every time the state raises the minimum wage, prices increase, and not just at her store---everywhere.

On a more personal note, she has stuck with this company long enough now, and done good enough work, that she now enjoys a very rare position---a full-time employee with holiday pay, paid time off and some benefits available. She refuses to move "up" into management because those poor people are abused half to death in this business.
                Excellent example. Your wife has proven a valuable asset and they don't want to lose her. In contrast, does some high school kid that can barely stock the shelves deserve the same privileges? No, of course not. But democrats think they do, because they lack understanding of what the true value of a good employee is. They subscribe to the " everyone gets a trophy" philosophy because it easier than telling the losers they suck, and they won't get that vote/support and ego boost of being "the nice guys"
                Last edited by Uncle Figgy; 01-17-2019, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Brilliant, attract new party members with somebody else's money...
                  "Plunk your Magic Twanger, Froggy". Andy Devine

Comment

Originally posted by EdBega View Post
                    Brilliant, attract new party members with somebody else's money...
                    In a nutshell, yes. That's how democrats operate.

Comment

They have more opportunity now than before, but if the democrats keep milking the actual private market it will only lead to more unemployment and drive wages down due to more competition for those jobs. The worker benefits when labor is in demand and jobs need filled. But don';t worry about reality, just say something stupid.
                      do go on. this is fascinating. tell me more about the democrats. tell me more about economics 101. I'm all ears

Comment

It's doing great. Now the democrats ( for political purposes) want to cut it off at the knees by once again sticking their nose into something they don't understand, promising higher wages they don't have to pay, and hampering the small business owner with more and more unrealistic demands. I hate liberals. This is basically a soft communism.
                        more about the democrats please

Comment

• Uncle Figgy
                          Uncle Figgy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I will, everyday, more and more...but I promise, you won't like it. Stick around.

In a nutshell, yes. That's how democrats operate.
                        Please tell us more. This is an amazingly profound theory. We hunger and thirst for your knowledge.
                        If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.
                        Joseph Goebbels

Comment

They should make an exception for new businesses and for small businesses with less than 50 employees.

To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandler View Post

Please tell us more. This is an amazingly profound theory. We hunger and thirst for your knowledge.
                            Who is "we"? Who do you claim to speak for? I've noticed weak posters like to say "we" a lot. It seems a popular liberal posturing tactic ( although you probably do it from mimicry as opposed to conscious effort) to say "we" as if to strengthen the veracity of your position. Mob rule, as it were.

Comment

• oldsoapbars
                              oldsoapbars commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I believe that he is using the imperical "we"

• Phil O'Keefe
                              Phil O'Keefe commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Leave the implied personal comments / attacks ("weak posters") out of the discussion please.

I'm getting tired of having to remind you about that...

Originally posted by RogueGnome View Post
                            They should make an exception for new businesses and for small businesses with less than 50 employees.
                            That's basically how California has done it, except it's for companies with less than 25 employees. The minimum wage here is now $11 an hour for companies with 25 or fewer employees, and $12 an hour for larger companies.

There are some cities that have laws on the books that mandate a higher rate - the state law takes that into account; whichever rate is higher in a particular location is what a employer is obligated to pay.

There are also a few exemptions:

The law includes exemptions for “learners,” defined as employees with no previous experience during their first 160 hours, as well as employees who are mentally or physically disabled and nonprofit organizations that employ disabled workers.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...#storylink=cpy

For the record, if they exclude companies with fewer than 50 employees from minimum wage requirements, that knocks the majority of employers out of the requirement. Most employers have less employees than that.

Most employers have fewer than 50 full-time employees or full-time equivalent employees and are therefore not subject to the Affordable Care Act's employer shared responsibility provision

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-...n-50-employees

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                            - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                            - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                            - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

• Uncle Figgy
                              Uncle Figgy commented
                              Editing a comment
                              And it's a completely arbitrary number that some idiot politician pulled out of their azz. More stupid liberal policy derived from nothing.
                          Working...
                          X