The Epiphone Slash ad

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Epiphone Slash ad

(Gibson can delete this if they want.)
    Crazy question: Yeknow the Epiphone Slash signature LP ad that's been running here? Is that a drawing of Slash? Or did they Photoshop an Epiphone into a pic of Slash playing his normal LP?? Something looks fishy with that pic, and I could imagine a rock star saying, "yes, you can pay me to use my name, but I'm not gonna come do a photoshoot with that guitar."

Edit: I really have no idea why I started this thread.
    Last edited by arcadesonfire; 01-15-2019, 11:05 PM.
    My band!:
    www.steelphantoms.com/
    my stage stuff:
    fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

Slash's main LP is a fake, a clone. Apropos to nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by Danocoustic View Post
      Slash's main LP is a fake, a clone. Apropos to nothing...
      i thought the one he originally played on appetite was a fake, but since then he has used vintage gibsons.

OP, a link to the pic might be helpful.
      Last edited by goodhonk; 01-15-2019, 04:43 PM.

Comment

I just assumed everyone was seeing it on Harmony Central.... No biggy. If Slash's original was a clone, then at least he hooked up with the right company. EVH switching to Peaveys and 6L6s was THE ONE AND ONLY CAUSE of Van Halen's downfall.
        My band!:
        www.steelphantoms.com/
        my stage stuff:
        fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

Comment

The 14-17 year olds lusting for the guitar in the ad don't really care if the photo has been manipulated. Carry on.
          "Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has." - Martin Luther

Comment

Originally posted by capitalist View Post
            The 14-17 year olds lusting for the guitar in the ad don't really care if the photo has been manipulated. Carry on.
            Agreed.
            But do 14-17 year-olds care about Slash?
            (I have no idea)
            To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Originally posted by -NPC-;n32500008

Trump is not creepy. He is lovable and charming.

Comment

Originally posted by arcadesonfire View Post
              I just assumed everyone was seeing it on Harmony Central.... No biggy. If Slash's original was a clone, then at least he hooked up with the right company. EVH switching to Peaveys and 6L6s was THE ONE AND ONLY CAUSE of Van Halen's downfall.
              I thought it was the alcoholism, egos, and declining songwriting.

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
              For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
              Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

Originally posted by RogueGnome View Post
                Agreed.
                But do 14-17 year-olds care about Slash?
                (I have no idea)
                care about him? are there really kids out there listening to grandpa music?
                {O,O}
                (__(\
                " "

Comment

I think Epiphone makes decent guitars at a good price.

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Furgison View Post

care about him? are there really kids out there listening to grandpa music?
                    Appetite for Destruction came out 31 years ago.

Think back to when you were 12, then subtract 31 years. For me, the best song to come out that year was Hank William's "Jambalaya." I love that tune now, but that is NOT what I thought was cool at the age of 12.

Comment

• NOS68
                      NOS68 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Now I feel old.

Originally posted by arcadesonfire View Post
                    (Gibson can delete this if they want.)
                    Crazy question: Yeknow the Epiphone Slash signature LP ad that's been running here? Is that a drawing of Slash? Or did they Photoshop an Epiphone into a pic of Slash playing his normal LP?? Something looks fishy with that pic, and I could imagine a rock star saying, "yes, you can pay me to use my name, but I'm not gonna come do a photoshoot with that guitar."

Edit: I really have no idea why I started this thread.
                    First of all, there's been more than one thread on HC that was critical of Gibson or Epiphone. They've never been deleted, and no one is planning on starting now. All brands are open to question, comment, critique and criticism here. Keeping HC editorially neutral are my orders, and I intend to continue to follow them, and treat all brands equally.

Having said that, I'm not sure which ad you're referring to... I saw an Epi Slash Les Paul Pack contest banner at the bottom of the page - it links to here:

http://www.epiphone.com/News/Feature...ance-Pack.aspx

Is that the one you're referring to?

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                    - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

If it is, I would agree that there's something to it which seems a bit --shall I say, 'unnatural'.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Contest1_Dec18.jpg Views:	1 Size:	78.1 KB ID:	32452404
                      Last edited by Grumpy_Polecat; 01-16-2019, 01:51 PM.
                      gp

"You speak with total clarity.
                      "And complete irrelevance."
                      --Howard Cosell. Said to Minnesota Fats during a matchup with Willie Mosconi.

Comment

Originally posted by erok123 View Post
                        I think Epiphone makes decent guitars at a good price.

My very first guitar was/is an Epiphone acoustic, bought in 1973. It still plays better than any Martin or Taylor I've played. Then again, that's the only Epiphone I own, so I might have just lucked out and the rest of the line are shiveringly bad, but I kinda doubt it.
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Originally Posted by MattACaster : *Runs 2 blocks down the street to Guitar Center, grabs detuned Schecter off the wall, plugs into Line6 Spider and proceeds to bring teh brootalz*

Comment

Originally posted by flemtone View Post

My very first guitar was/is an Epiphone acoustic, bought in 1973. It still plays better than any Martin or Taylor I've played. Then again, that's the only Epiphone I own, so I might have just lucked out and the rest of the line are shiveringly bad, but I kinda doubt it.
                          Epi had a rough period when the parent company was basically whoring out the venerable name for a bunch of entry-level stuff (think bolt-necks). But they seem to have turned that around and disabused themselves of the practice.

The whole history of that company is peculiar, perhaps even sordid.
                          gp

"You speak with total clarity.
                          "And complete irrelevance."
                          --Howard Cosell. Said to Minnesota Fats during a matchup with Willie Mosconi.

Comment

Originally posted by E-money View Post

I thought it was the alcoholism, egos, and declining songwriting.
                            No. It was the stupid 5150. It's evil. The plexi represents what is good in all of us. On the other hand, VH + 6L6 is an unholy concoction that means death to whomever nears it.
                            My band!:
                            www.steelphantoms.com/
                            my stage stuff:

Comment

Working...
                            X