No announcement yet.

Reasonable firearms laws?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HAMMER TOSS View Post

Thank you for putting my point more succinctly than I am apparently able to do.

I don't know what the answers are either. We have some very unique problems here in the US. 3 mall shootings, just this weekend.
    I will say, that it seems like everything we do here is contentious on some level. People don't just disagree anymore, and still communicate. Now it's like as soon as somebody has a different perspective, the hate starts flowing. With me or against me...

Add to that the fact the US can be hyper competitive, and people who are busting their tails are barely getting by. Most people are only a few missed paychecks away from being homeless. That puts people on edge.

We are fractured. Team spirit for America has disappeared. It sounds like faux patriotism now. People are tired of hearing politicians talk about billions like it means nothing, when a couple thousand could be a life changer for many. Personally I think trump was elected not because people thought he would make a good president, but it was the equivalent of overturning the board game and scattering the pieces everywhere because...why not?
    Mercy...
    You sure hit the nail on the head quite a few times there! I've had "The Divided States of America"
    as my location for quite a few years. I don't like trump in the least & couldn't/wouldn't/didn't & won't vote for him, but I easily understand the sentiment that was behind his election.
    Even though I still feel like overturning the board game again, I hope people have learned not to be so over-reactive and a bit more selective, in their rebellion against current politics and politicians.
    ''All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"--Edmund Burke
    Man created science to create what man wants science to create.

Comment

while I'm all for people owning all the guns they want. I think they should keep them on their own property or property under their control. once you bring a firearm into public or private property you don't own you should be subject to any and all regulations the local government and or property owners feel are in the best interest of the public or the property owner.

for instance, I dont want people bringing their guns on my property, and i don't want to go to the grocery store or a bar and be surrounded by people carrying guns.

Comment

Originally posted by moogerfooger View Post
        while I'm all for people owning all the guns they want. I think they should keep them on their own property or property under their control. once you bring a firearm into public or private property you don't own you should be subject to any and all regulations the local government and or property owners feel are in the best interest of the public or the property owner.

for instance, I dont want people bringing their guns on my property, and i don't want to go to the grocery store or a bar and be surrounded by people carrying guns.
        On your own private property, you have every right to make those decisions.

In public, you have no such right.

...and where can a private citizen carry a gun in a bar? Not in this jurisdiction.
        I not only resent the allegation, I resent the alligator!

Comment

Originally posted by HAMMER TOSS View Post

I hear what you are saying. I didn't mean faulty brains in terms of ignorance. I meant in terms of greedy, violent, immoral human beings.

People aren't out there killing, robbing and raping because they are not educated in firearm usage.

Now, if you want to talk about generally educating people so they can get jobs, set goals, and be productive members, that's another discussion. But again, that type of education has zero to do with firearm usage, or teaching gun safety in school. - it's has to do with being a decent, moral person. That education starts at home when people are still in diapers.
          Yes, and this is precisely why attempts to restrict the rights of law-abiding people won't help.

Look at the suicide rates by nation. Yes, suicide by firearm is clearly more common here is the US, but our overall suicide rate is low relative to many other nations; in the end, the availability of the particular means isn't what prompts the destructive act.

Have a look at this list of recent mass murders by vehicle:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...cks/544603002/

No amount of vehicle registration or insurance will prevent these incidents, any more than registration of firearms will prevent criminals from killing people.

Next, have a look at this:

https://www.investors.com/politics/e...ass-shootings/

As it turns out, the nations which have higher rates of mass shootings have much stricter gun control laws than we do - yet the fact is that someone bent on carrying out a criminal act simply doesn't pay much attention to the laws that say he/she is not allowed to commit that crime.

I believe that you are correct - the issue is that we have people who are mentally "broken" and will commit crimes. Trying to take away one subset of their toolkit isn't going to fix their mental health issues, nor will the threat of being arrested for a firearms control violation.
          Lease this space!

Comment

Originally posted by Danocoustic View Post

...and where can a private citizen carry a gun in a bar? Not in this jurisdiction.
            West Virginia has: permitless concealed carry.

Comment

Originally posted by moogerfooger View Post

West Virginia has: permitless concealed carry.
              In bars? Courthouses? Schools? There are restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by Gromit View Post

Surely, guns (or as you refer to them '2nd amendment rights') are already out of reach of lower income people, as are motor vehicles.
                Plenty of lower income rural people have guns passed down. If they can't insure them as Badger suggests they'll either have to get rid off them or become criminals.

You can also buy a wide variety of guns for under $300. How many useable vehicles can you get for even twice that?

Comment

We can carry in bars here, we CAN'T be under the influence and carry. I have no issues with this and it isn't a problem.

The only bar shootings you here about on the local news are out of the cities and involve illegally carried guns generally.

Comment

Originally posted by NOS68 View Post

We can carry in bars here, we CAN'T be under the influence and carry. I have no issues with this and it isn't a problem.

The only bar shootings you here about on the local news are out of the cities and involve illegally carried guns generally.
                    Only owners/employees and LEOs can carry in bars here. I have no issues with that.

Comment

Only owners/employees and LEOs can carry in bars here. I have no issues with that.
                      I see it as no different than allowing people to drive to bars. Neither cars or guns mix well with alcohol.

Comment

There are no reasonable firearms laws. The 2nd sez we get to keep our guns. Period.
                        Last edited by Fred Fartboski : Today at...

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Fartboski View Post
                          There are no reasonable firearms laws. The 2nd sez we get to keep our guns. Period.
                          Another example of "reasonable dialogue"

Comment

• HAMMER TOSS
                            HAMMER TOSS commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yet it's not far from what we hear anytime gun laws are brought up.

• Danocoustic
                            Danocoustic commented
                            Editing a comment
                            By whom?

In bars? Courthouses? Schools? There are restrictions.
                          only if posted. its interesting that the government wants guns in schools but not in courthouses.

Comment

Originally posted by The Badger View Post
                            Here's my counter proposal:

You have to take gun safety courses the way people take driver training. That way, you get at least some idea of how to handle a gun properly.
                            When I was in junior high school, the hunter safety course was a regular part of the curriculum, and it included firearm safety. I would agree with reinstating this as a regular, required part of the education curriculum, so that everyone has been through the gun safety training you are referring to.

License both gun owners and their guns.
                            Non-starter for a variety of reasons. However, I agree that we need to perform background checks as a precursor to all firearm sales, as long as no record of specific purchases is kept by the government.

Gun owners carry accident insurance.
                            Nope. As with a poll tax, you cannot attach a cost to a constitutional right, particularly not a cost that will be out of reach for many low income people.

Lease this space!

Comment

Originally posted by BA.Barcolounger View Post

From the time you discover your weapon is missing, I imagine.
                              How do they prove when you knew it went missing?

Comment

Working...
                              X