Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reasonable firearms laws?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have said before and will repeat that I am a staunch proponent of training. Most of the 'gun nuts' here have expressed the same position.

I am also a staunch proponent to people learning language. The use of both are constitutionally guaranteed. The use of both can cause injury and/or death, and has.

Nobody is willing to call for 'common sense' regulations on the use of typewriters, keyboards, pencils, printing presses or any other method of dissemination. (This includes the device I am using at this very moment).

Nobody is willing to make stand and say that equal protection under law is only applicable to those who pass a means test.

Nor will anyone take a stand and say that your right to vote depends on passing certain requirements (other than reaching the age of majority.

It's just this one pet-peeve, the championing of which defies logic.

'The Wall won't stop drug traffic or illegal entry/remainder.' Guess what folks, speed limits don't stop speeding. Nor will restrictive gun laws stop gun violence. Mad Mothers haven't stopped people from drinking and driving. Jim Crow Laws didn't stop the oppressed from seeking equal liberty. The repeal of same didn't stop people from being hateful toward others for no good reason. The 19th Amendment didn't stop people from drinking.

The list goes on and on. I dare anyone to make their final word on the subject of gun control who supports the idea be the last post they make on the subject. Or any other subject. Turn in your keyboard, typewriters and pencils and make a statement! Boycott free speech!!!

Or we can just have the same argument next week. I'd wager on the latter.
    gp

"You speak with total clarity.
    "And complete irrelevance."
    --Howard Cosell. Said to Minnesota Fats during a matchup with Willie Mosconi.

Comment

Originally posted by NOS68 View Post

Wow that's a whole lot of ignorance for one post. Hope you don't consider yourself part of the reasonable discussion.

BTW I hunt with 3 rounds in my rifle.

There was also a typo in my OP I meant buck fever ISN'T close to a defensive situation.
      It's not ignorance. You made the mistake, I seized the opportunity. The true ignorance is trying to fight every reasonable pro-safety gun legislation that is put forth.
      ''All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"--Edmund Burke
      Man created science to create what man wants science to create.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
        I have said before and will repeat that I am a staunch proponent of training. Most of the 'gun nuts' here have expressed the same position.

I am also a staunch proponent to people learning language. The use of both are constitutionally guaranteed. The use of both can cause injury and/or death, and has.

Nobody is willing to call for 'common sense' regulations on the use of typewriters, keyboards, pencils, printing presses or any other method of dissemination. (This includes the device I am using at this very moment).

Nobody is willing to make stand and say that equal protection under law is only applicable to those who pass a means test.

Nor will anyone take a stand and say that your right to vote depends on passing certain requirements (other than reaching the age of majority.

It's just this one pet-peeve, the championing of which defies logic.

'The Wall won't stop drug traffic or illegal entry/remainder.' Guess what folks, speed limits don't stop speeding. Nor will restrictive gun laws stop gun violence. Mad Mothers haven't stopped people from drinking and driving. Jim Crow Laws didn't stop the oppressed from seeking equal liberty. The repeal of same didn't stop people from being hateful toward others for no good reason. The 19th Amendment didn't stop people from drinking.

The list goes on and on. I dare anyone to make their final word on the subject of gun control who supports the idea be the last post they make on the subject. Or any other subject. Turn in your keyboard, typewriters and pencils and make a statement! Boycott free speech!!!

Or we can just have the same argument next week. I'd wager on the latter.
        Training for what?

It's a pretty simple tool as tools go.

Here's how you load it.
        Always point the bidness end away from you, but not at anybody else.
        Don't point it at anything you don't intend to shoot.
        This is the safety, this is the trigger.
        Keep it locked up
        Keep it oiled up so it works when you need it
        Obey your local laws and ordinances.

Class dismissed?

Last edited by HAMMER TOSS; 01-13-2019, 08:15 PM.

Comment

• HAMMER TOSS
          HAMMER TOSS commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh yeah, don't kill anybody.

And don't kill yourself.

• NOS68
          NOS68 commented
          Editing a comment
          Keep your bugger hook off the trigger until you intend to shoot.

Originally posted by stratosaurus View Post

It's not ignorance. You made the mistake, I seized the opportunity. The true ignorance is trying to fight every reasonable pro-safety gun legislation that is put forth.
        It should of been fairly clear what I meant as "is" doesn't really fit there while isn't fits perfectly. But yes I made a typo just as you chose to reply in the ignorant manner you did.

What reasonable gun laws have we fought? None of what I discussed in the OP is reasonable IMO
        Last edited by NOS68; 01-13-2019, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HAMMER TOSS View Post

Training for what?

It's a pretty simple tool as tools go.

Here's how you load it.
          Always point the bidness end away from you, but not at anybody else.
          Don't point it at anything you don't intend to shoot.
          This is the safety, this is the trigger.
          Keep it locked up
          Keep it oiled up so it works when you need it
          Obey your local laws and ordinances.

Class dismissed?

Is that being taught? If it is, some people apparently need a remedial course.
          gp

"You speak with total clarity.
          "And complete irrelevance."
          --Howard Cosell. Said to Minnesota Fats during a matchup with Willie Mosconi.

Comment

Reasonable laws don't make 99.99% of gun owners criminals. This bill doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell.
            Government
            Of
            Putin
            Originally posted by nedezero1;
            Good. More lib fake news correspondents need to be assaulted when they get too pushy.
            http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...nches-reporter

Comment

Originally posted by NOS68 View Post

Sorry operating a vehicle is NOT a Constitutional right. What you propose would place 2nd amendment rights out of reach for lower income people.

https://articles-mlive-com.cdn.amppr...rom%20%251%24s
              Surely, guns (or as you refer to them '2nd amendment rights') are already out of reach of lower income people, as are motor vehicles.
              Strangers on this road we are on,
              and we are not two, we are one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gromit View Post

Surely, guns (or as you refer to them '2nd amendment rights') are already out of reach of lower income people, as are motor vehicles.
                Excellent observation. True, to a degree.

All the more reason not to make it MORE so.
                I not only resent the allegation, I resent the alligator!

Comment

Originally posted by stratosaurus View Post

So put forth a reasonable pro-safety legislative proposal. Not a de facto ban.

Comment

Obviously I'm not American, and probably will never visit the US, so your constitution is all but irrelevant to me personally. However, it is relevant to most of the people here, so ...

Am I correct in thinking that schools in the USA teach 'drivers education'? Do they also (possibly controversially) teach sex education too? Why, then, not have all schools teach basic firearm usage from the age of, say, 15? at least then, there would be less chance of people blowing their own toes off because they don't know what a safety catch is.

Comment

Obviously I'm not American, and probably will never visit the US, so your constitution is all but irrelevant to me personally. However, it is relevant to most of the people here, so ...

Am I correct in thinking that schools in the USA teach 'drivers education'? Do they also (possibly controversially) teach sex education too? Why, then, not have all schools teach basic firearm usage from the age of, say, 15? at least then, there would be less chance of people blowing their own toes off because they don't know what a safety catch is.
                      You just stop making reasonable recommendations, Gromit.

YOU JUST STOP IT RIGHT NOW

Comment

Originally posted by Danocoustic View Post

Excellent observation. True, to a degree.

All the more reason not to make it MORE so.
                        Well, that's where there can be (as in this case) a clash between constitutional law and public policy.

For the record, I think that most of that proposal is ridiculously restrictive - and I say that as someone who hasn't owned a gun of any kind for decades (and then it was only a .22 air rifle), and hasn't any desire for one.

Comment

You just stop making reasonable recommendations, Gromit.

YOU JUST STOP IT RIGHT NOW
                          Sorry

Comment

Well, that's where there can be (as in this case) a clash between constitutional law and public policy.

For the record, I think that most of that proposal is ridiculously restrictive - and I say that as someone who hasn't owned a gun of any kind for decades (and then it was only a .22 air rifle), and hasn't any desire for one.
                            In such a clash, Constitutional law MUST trump public policy every time---else the Constitution has no meaning, no relevance.

Side note: I fire my air rifles way more than my firearms, by a large amount. Been talking with some friends about getting some kind of youth airgun league/team/course/something going locally.

Comment

In such a clash, Constitutional law MUST trump public policy every time---else the Constitution has no meaning, no relevance.

Side note: I fire my air rifles way more than my firearms, by a large amount. Been talking with some friends about getting some kind of youth airgun league/team/course/something going locally.
                              Agreed on the first point. That's why you have a written constitution in the first place.

The youth airgun idea seems like a good one. Educational and fun too.

Comment

Working...
                              X