Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Californians, how does this strike you?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oldsoapbars
    started a topic Hey Californians, how does this strike you?

Hey Californians, how does this strike you?

https://amp-usatoday-com.cdn.ampproj...F2523581002%2F

Cutting off FEMA funds for the wildfires.

This smacks of retribution to Pelosi for her rebuttal. It will be interesting to see how the Congress reacts.

Can he do it?
    Is the GOP willing to throw away Californias votes?

FEMA has already allocated those funds. Can the POSTUS bypass the constitution? Will the GOP simply capitulate and blame the dems (this is what I expect).

• Phil O'Keefe
    replied
    Originally posted by gp2112 View Post

Yeah. I heard last weekend that some nitwits went into the Park and cut down some Joshua Trees so they could do some four-wheeling.

Sigh...

I am an avid fan of the desert, the high desert around the Morongo Basin and the Monument in particular. I hate that there are so many who would show such disregard for such places.
    Me too. Sad.

Leave a comment:

• gp2112
    replied
    Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
    Yeah, Joshua Tree has a bunch of trash buildup from what I hear, but some people are stepping up and helping with cleanup. It is OUR park, so it is nice to see that at least some folks put taking care of it above politics.

Pack it in, pack it out is something I’ve always believed in / followed. I hate when people trash the wilderness.
    Yeah. I heard last weekend that some nitwits went into the Park and cut down some Joshua Trees so they could do some four-wheeling.

Sigh...

I am an avid fan of the desert, the high desert around the Morongo Basin and the Monument in particular. I hate that there are so many who would show such disregard for such places.

Leave a comment:

• New Trail
    replied
    Originally posted by oldsoapbars View Post
    https://amp-usatoday-com.cdn.ampproj...F2523581002%2F

Cutting off FEMA funds for the wildfires.

This smacks of retribution to Pelosi for her rebuttal. It will be interesting to see how the Congress reacts.

Can he do it?
    Is the GOP willing to throw away Californias votes?

FEMA has already allocated those funds. Can the POSTUS bypass the constitution? Will the GOP simply capitulate and blame the dems (this is what I expect).
    Wasn't it Bush II who said "the Constitution is just a piece of paper" or something like that?

Leave a comment:

• gp2112
    replied
    A little late seeing this post but I have been very busy...

I have said it before and I will repeat:

Trumps words are not all lies. Unfortunately, Trump forgets about the amount of federal land in California, as was pointed out in this thread. The "truth" of Trumps words are that our forests are, indeed, mismananged but it is more due to institutional miguidance: "All Fires out Before..." such and such time.

This was the working credo of wildland fire management for decades, one that started after the Peshtigo Fire that charred over one million acres and killed between 1500-2000 people.

Unfortunately, this practice, in conjunction with misguided environmental actions by government and non-government entities, has allowed our forests to become overgrown/littered with tinder.

The funny thing is that while people are quick to point out Trump's gaffe, no one is pointing out the disinformation that is being promulgated by Jerry Brown and the progressives in the California government: The fires are due to global climate change.

Both "theories" put forward by two politicians of questionable "truths" are, essentially, true. To a point. At the same time both "truths" are either wildly misinformed or they are purposely disingenuous. I think the latter more than the former as both have (had in Brown's case, but Newsome will carry the torch of disinformation quite adequately, if not more so), political motivations to blame the intensity of the fires on what they perceive will tweak the noses of the other side of the aisle.

As far as I am concerned both should be chastised for their remarks with equal vigor.

Leave a comment:

• Phil O'Keefe
    commented on 's reply
    First, please don't swear.

Second, putting all liberals into the same **** bag is insulting to everyone left of center who participates here.

Please try to keep the discussion more civil in the future.

• daddymack
    commented on 's reply
    yet we still supply deep red stalwarts like Devin Nunes and Kevin McCarthy...
    and of course, historically, Nixon and Reagan came from here, as did Earl Warren [okay he switched over to the Dems around '62, but was seated as a Republican]...

• daddymack
    commented on 's reply
    Forrest Trump...

• daddymack
    commented on 's reply
    you meant ****-bag liberal, of course...

• daddymack
    commented on 's reply
    backpedal much?

• daddymack
    commented on 's reply
    Chuck,
    I am first and foremost, AN AMERICAN. I pay taxes to the Federal Government like everyone else, and I can't understand how you can say something as vacuous as we [California] should secede. Did you actually check the links I put up, or is this another 'TLDNR, but I still can express my opinion absent any facts' reply?
    I will bet that states like Idaho, Montana, West Virginia, North Dakota and some others would be BANKRUPT without the fact that California gets back less than it puts in from the Feds. If we left, who would pick up the slack of those tens of billions of dollars we 'donate'? You would, you ALL would.
    Secession is just a word, not a movement. However, if the Senate leadership continues as it is, refusing to bring bills and other matters to the floor in order to keep their power base, it could become a movement....and not just here. NY, MA, VA and several other 'Blue' states are feeling the pinch as well.
    Trump is arguably the worst president in a century, and his lack of experience and history of screwing people he works with does this entire nation a terrible disservice. And his bizarre hold over the GOP is absolutely frightening.

and sorry, Phil, due to HC protocols, you have to pay for your own dinner
    Last edited by daddymack; 01-10-2019, 12:28 PM.

• daddymack
    commented on 's reply
    46% of the ENTIRE STATE is FEDERAL LAND!

• Phil O'Keefe
    replied
    Yeah, Joshua Tree has a bunch of trash buildup from what I hear, but some people are stepping up and helping with cleanup. It is OUR park, so it is nice to see that at least some folks put taking care of it above politics.

Pack it in, pack it out is something I’ve always believed in / followed. I hate when people trash the wilderness.

Leave a comment:

• Zooey
    replied
    Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

The Democrats picked up seats, but they don’t have all of California’s house seats. In fact, due to CA’s “jungle” primaries, I only had Republicans to choose from in the district I live in. So no, the Democrats don’t have a lock there - at least not yet.
    I grew up in rural San Bernardino county where my family still lives. It's a very conservative part of the state that is currently getting hammered by the government shutdown due to closure of the National Park. Even the most die-hard Trump supporters looked at Trump's recent tweets about the fires with utter dismay and disillusionment.

One of my conservative FB friends said something to the effect that this proves the Illuminati is running Washington DC because Trump would never say something like that if it was up to him.

Meanwhile, conservatives in the red states that California funds with its tax revenue are rubbing their hands with glee over Trump's remarks.

Leave a comment:

• Phil O'Keefe
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry to hear that the area you live in was directly impacted. That truly sux.
Working...
X