Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Californians, how does this strike you?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Californians, how does this strike you?

https://amp-usatoday-com.cdn.ampproj...F2523581002%2F

Cutting off FEMA funds for the wildfires.

This smacks of retribution to Pelosi for her rebuttal. It will be interesting to see how the Congress reacts.

Can he do it?
    Is the GOP willing to throw away Californias votes?

FEMA has already allocated those funds. Can the POSTUS bypass the constitution? Will the GOP simply capitulate and blame the dems (this is what I expect).

"Who cares, most of them are Democrats. He's finally hurting the people he's supposed to hurt."

I'm from California, and the town I live in (Hornbrook) was almost destroyed by the Klamathon wildfire.

Trump's vindictive streak affects me directly.
    "Congressional Republicans have an unlimited appetite for such low standards."
    - Nancy Pelosi, on Trump and the GOP

Ed phobes fathered my child, the child which is music within me, suckling on his talented teet. His new CD is the breast pump which collects his sweet, sweet boob milk for all the world. Bravo Ed, Bravo!
    - MXR

https://soundcloud.com/ed-phobes

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
      Phil O'Keefe commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry to hear that the area you live in was directly impacted. That truly sux.

Corrected below...
    Last edited by Chuck Nuggets; 01-09-2019, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Nuggets View Post
      The Federal Reserve supplies the currency. Why doesn't California borrow the money directly? The state can pay the Fed back with California tax payer dollars. Why should the rest of America be responsible for what happens in The People's Republic of California. They wanted succession, well, now they've got it.
      It's as if you read my reply above and decided to provide proof that it's true.

Bigly.

"Congressional Republicans have an unlimited appetite for such low standards."
      - Nancy Pelosi, on Trump and the GOP

Ed phobes fathered my child, the child which is music within me, suckling on his talented teet. His new CD is the breast pump which collects his sweet, sweet boob milk for all the world. Bravo Ed, Bravo!
      - MXR

https://soundcloud.com/ed-phobes

Comment

Originally posted by -Ed Phobes- View Post

It's as if you read my reply above and decided to provide proof that it's true.

Bigly.

I corrected "succession" btw... You don't waste any time!

Comment

Corrected:
          The Federal Reserve supplies the currency. Why doesn't California borrow the money directly? The state can pay the Fed back with California tax payer dollars. Why should the rest of America be responsible for what happens in the People's Republic of California? They wanted secession, well, now they've got it.

Comment

The Federal Reserve supplies the currency. Why doesn't California borrow the money directly? The state can pay the Fed back with California tax payer dollars. Why should the rest of America be responsible for what happens in The People's Republic of California? They wanted succession, well, now they've got it.
            Because California has already given those funds to the feds already.

BTW, why didn't trump not cut funding for hurricane victims? Or Flood victims...
            I'll tell ya, this is nothing but a childish attempt for revenge, pure and simple.

I'm also thinking that someone thinks this may be a ploy to get Pelosi to capitulate. Sadly, SCOTUS has already ruled on the constitutionality of the POSTUS being able to direct funding for his agenda. Darned lib SCOTUS.

Comment

The Federal Reserve supplies the currency. Why doesn't California borrow the money directly? The state can pay the Fed back with California tax payer dollars. Why should the rest of America be responsible for what happens in the People's Republic of California? They wanted secession, well, now they've got it.
              Only one problem, as California sends more money to the Federal government than they receive back in Federal spending, that means that the rest of America is dependent on California.

Comment

Originally posted by BadDaddy View Post

Only one problem, as California sends more money to the Federal government than they receive back in Federal spending, that means that the rest of America is dependent on California.
                If that's the case, them they don't need Federal funding.

Comment

• daddymack
                  daddymack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  please explain how the already over tax burdened people here should not expect the taxes they've paid to the Feds to benefit them?

• Chuck Nuggets
                  Chuck Nuggets commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Maybe they can sell sightseeing tours in downtown San Francisco?

The scary thing is, a friend of mine moved to Cali for 1 year. He came back, and said to me; "Dude, California is YOU!"

Comment

• daddymack
                  daddymack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No, the scary thing is you actually believe the stuff you are posting here....

• Chuck Nuggets
                  Chuck Nuggets commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Scary, isn't it? Moooo-hahahaha!

If that's the case, them they don't need Federal funding.
                Why would they (California) throw away money they should have? Seems foolish to me.

They paid for it, they should receive it.

Comment

No we don't, and trust me, you are so wrong it isn't even ludicrous...just 'sad, very sad'...

Why does any state get FEMA aid then?

Any state ravaged by floods that doesn't have 'adequate' flood control should be cut off?
                  Any state [like Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas] regularly battered by hurricanes that hasn't upped their building codes, flood control, and infrastructure should be denied aid?
                  Brilliant!
                  Tornadoes? No Aid, they should all live underground?
                  Blizzards? They should all move somewhere warmer?

Bottom line: we ALL pay taxes and are ALL entitled to Federal assistance when warranted...including Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam...

And, just as a fact check, much of the forests in Northern California that burned were on FEDERAL LAND, and the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT controls over 45% [yes, nearly half] the land in California.
                  https://ballotpedia.org/Federal_land_ownership_by_state

California pays more in federal taxes than it gets back, and is in the top ten states paying the most taxes per capita.
                  https://www.politifact.com/californi...re-it-gets-dc/
                  California has the most people of any state [and likely way undercounted vis-a-vis illegal immigrants, and not just from Mexico]
                  http://worldpopulationreview.com/states/
                  California also has the world's [not the US] fifth largest economy*.
                  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-uk/583508002/

Yes we are progressive, yes we are liberal and without us, the US' influence in the world begins to diminish rapidly.

*California's economy eclipsed the UK. See how badly Brexit is going with the EU? Imagine the entire West Coast [CA, WA,OR,+NV,CO] seceding from the Union, and what turmoil would ensue.
                  "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

• Chuck Nuggets
                    Chuck Nuggets commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If California is such an economical powerhouse, why don't you secede from the Republic, and print your own currency? You know the one... It's the one you hate, until the time comes when you need a handout.

• Phil O'Keefe
                    Phil O'Keefe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Did someone just offer me free prime rib?

• daddymack
                    daddymack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Chuck,
                    I am first and foremost, AN AMERICAN. I pay taxes to the Federal Government like everyone else, and I can't understand how you can say something as vacuous as we [California] should secede. Did you actually check the links I put up, or is this another 'TLDNR, but I still can express my opinion absent any facts' reply?
                    I will bet that states like Idaho, Montana, West Virginia, North Dakota and some others would be BANKRUPT without the fact that California gets back less than it puts in from the Feds. If we left, who would pick up the slack of those tens of billions of dollars we 'donate'? You would, you ALL would.
                    Secession is just a word, not a movement. However, if the Senate leadership continues as it is, refusing to bring bills and other matters to the floor in order to keep their power base, it could become a movement....and not just here. NY, MA, VA and several other 'Blue' states are feeling the pinch as well.
                    Trump is arguably the worst president in a century, and his lack of experience and history of screwing people he works with does this entire nation a terrible disservice. And his bizarre hold over the GOP is absolutely frightening.

and sorry, Phil, due to HC protocols, you have to pay for your own dinner
                    Last edited by daddymack; 01-10-2019, 12:28 PM.

The scary thing is, a friend of mine moved to Cali for 1 year. He came back, and said to me; "Dude, California is YOU!"
                  I can assure you with total confidence that he was lying.

Comment

What about all that gold in the bank in the middle of Beverly Hills?!

My apologies..
                    "Plunk your Magic Twanger, Froggy". Andy Devine

Comment

• daddymack
                      daddymack commented
                      Editing a comment
                      link?

Originally posted by -Ed Phobes- View Post
                    "Who cares, most of them are Democrats. He's finally hurting the people he's supposed to hurt."

I'm from California, and the town I live in (Hornbrook) was almost destroyed by the Klamathon wildfire.

Trump's vindictive streak affects me directly.
                    ^^^ THIS! ^^^

Trump seduces people with ‘reverse partisanship’... those who simply want to stick it to the Dems. Trumpers don’t really give a crap about how badly Trump hurts them as long as it hurts Dems a bit more.
                    Last edited by lerber3; 01-09-2019, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X