No announcement yet.

Spot On!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spot On!!!!

I found this piece by Charles Pierce and it hit the nail on the head for me. You? I don't have a link to back it up but it spot on!

November 29 at 4:54 AM

"In my life, I have watched John Kennedy talk on television about missiles in Cuba. I saw Lyndon Johnson look Richard Russell squarely in the eye and and say, "And we shall overcome." I saw Richard Nixon resign and Gerald Ford tell the Congress that our long national nightmare was over. I saw Jimmy Carter talk about malaise and Ronald Reagan talk about a shining city on a hill. I saw George H.W. Bush deliver the eulogy for the Soviet bloc, and Bill Clinton comfort the survivors of Timothy McVeigh's madness in Oklahoma City. I saw George W. Bush struggle to make sense of it all on September 11, 2001, and I saw Barack Obama sing 'Amazing Grace' in the wounded sanctuary of Mother Emanuel Church in Charleston, South Carolina.

"These were the presidents of my lifetime. These were not perfect men. They were not perfect presidents, god knows. Not one of them was that. But they approached the job, and they took to the podium, with all the gravitas they could muster as appropriate to the job. They tried, at least, to reach for something in the presidency that was beyond their grasp as ordinary human beings. They were not all ennobled by the attempt, but they tried nonetheless.

"And comes now this hopeless, vicious buffoon, and the audience of equally hopeless and vicious buffoons who laughed and cheered when he made sport of a woman whose lasting memory of the trauma she suffered is the laughter of the perpetrators. Now he comes, a man swathed in scandal, with no interest beyond what he can put in his pocket and what he can put over on a universe of suckers, and he does something like this while occupying an office that we gave him, and while endowed with a public trust that he dishonors every day he wakes up in the White House.

"The scion of a multigenerational criminal enterprise, the parameters of which we are only now beginning to comprehend. A vessel for all the worst elements of the American condition. And a cheap, soulless bully besides. We never have had such a cheap counterfeit of a president* as currently occupies the office. We never have had a president* so completely deserving of scorn and yet so small in the office that it almost seems a waste of time and energy to summon up the requisite contempt.

"Watch how a republic dies in the empty eyes of an empty man who feels nothing but his own imaginary greatness, and who cannot find in himself the decency simply to shut up even when it is in his best interest to do so. Presidents don't have to be heroes to be good presidents. They just have to realize that their humanity is our common humanity, and that their political commonwealth is our political commonwealth, too.

Watch him behind the seal of the President of the United States. Isn't he a funny man? Isn't what happened to that lady hilarious? Watch the assembled morons cheer. This is the only story now."

- Charles Pierce
    Winning an argument with a smart person is difficult. Winning an argument with a stupid person is damn near impossible.

Sums it up pretty well.

Comment

I'd say Mr Pierce summed things up accurately.
      POST NO BILLS

Comment

Future generations may read this enscribed on the monuments erected at the site where the mighty USA once stood.

Comment

👍
          flip the phase

Comment

Sweet, sweet* trump has triggered* another lib into exposing his trump derangement syndrome*.

*Ha, I have shoehorned three of the dumbest trumptroll ripostes into one incredibly dumb sentence. Quote in the OP is indeed spot on.

Comment

• panhandler
              panhandler commented
              Editing a comment
              Well played!

Originally posted by TheNord View Post
            Sweet, sweet* trump has triggered* another lib into exposing his trump derangement syndrome*.

*Ha, I have shoehorned three of the dumbest trumptroll ripostes into one incredibly dumb sentence. Quote in the OP is indeed spot on.
            Sad indeed is the fact that some think this is some kind of adolescent game and that "ha ha, they all do it" is the only plank in their platform.
            "This is the kind of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put."

...Winston Churchill

Comment

nixon is smiling in hell

as a bigger loser starts

to eclipse the horizon !! )
              __________-------------------------------------__________________________---------------
              "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." ---Albert Einstein

What is more liberal than this ?? )
              We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union ...

Comment

Originally posted by TheNord View Post

I believe you mean ‘individual one derangement syndrome.’

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post
                  Future generations may read this enscribed on the monuments erected at the site where the mighty USA once stood.
                  Kinda Chicken Little, drama queen, outlook there. Maybe you should lighten up a bit on your premature obituary for the U.S.
                  Personally, I have quite a bit more faith in Americans than that. trumps' bad, but not enough to destroy the current U.S and certainly not the future U.S, A few years after trump, whatever his negative effects were, will be repaired by the what's considered the natural ingenuity of the American people
                  ''All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"--Edmund Burke
                  Man created science to create what man wants science to create.

Comment

Originally posted by stratosaurus View Post

Kinda Chicken Little, drama queen, outlook there. Maybe you should lighten up a bit on your premature obituary for the U.S.
                    Personally, I have quite a bit more faith in Americans than that. trumps' bad, but not enough to destroy the current U.S and certainly not the future U.S, A few years after trump, whatever his negative effects were, will be repaired by the what's considered the natural ingenuity of the American people
                    Or we will just continue down the road of looking for even more shallow, bigger celebrity types to elect to be our leaders.

Trump is more a symptom than a cause of anything. Who among us hasn’t predicted for years that it was only a matter of time before “the people” would elect some musical or movie star? That we chose Donald Trump as the first one?

I’d like to share your optimism that the American people will return to their senses, but I think it’s more likely we will just repeat the same mistake in different forms.

Comment

Or we will just continue down the road of looking for even more shallow, bigger celebrity types to elect to be our leaders.

Trump is more a symptom than a cause of anything. Who among us hasn’t predicted for years that it was only a matter of time before “the people” would elect some musical or movie star? That we chose Donald Trump as the first one?

I’d like to share your optimism that the American people will return to their senses, but I think it’s more likely we will just repeat the same mistake in different forms.
                      You have a great point there. If people don't realize and learn the lesson from this fiasco of trump, the future certain looks kinda bleek. I'm hoping that it was a one-off thing where voters were fed up & just rebelled against established politics and the seemingly status quo & now realize that their completely radical reactionary voting isn't always the best thing & can have many unintended consequences.
                      Like you say, It is a worry that the voters will now radicalize in the opposite direction & pick someone who is just as unqualified & unstable as trump.
                      Even as a far right conservative, I can't envision voters actually making the same mistake again & picking trump. Then again, if they are, then I'll be forced to join you as they completely shoot down my optimism.
                      Last edited by stratosaurus; 12-10-2018, 05:47 AM.
                      ''All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"--Edmund Burke
                      Man created science to create what man wants science to create.

Comment

Who among us hasn’t predicted for years that it was only a matter of time before “the people” would elect some musical or movie star? That we chose Donald Trump as the first one?
                        Reagan?

Comment

Originally posted by thick_mike View Post

Reagan?
                          Good point---but he actually had some experience with holding political office.

Comment

Originally posted by thick_mike View Post

Reagan?
                            RR came from a completely different place than Trump. He was born into the middle class, worked his way up and had what is often considered the gold standard of experience for the presidency - a governorship. He was way more connected with American life than Trump has bothered to grasp.
                            "This is the kind of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put."

...Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                            X