No announcement yet.

Emergency alerts on your phone

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency alerts on your phone

I get that they're important and that they might help save lives, but do they have to be so alarming?

I just got one (there is a flash flood warning for my area) and the thing was so loud I just about jumped out of my skin - I could easily see it startling someone who was driving and contributing to an accident...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
    - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Gosh damned do-gooders
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read
    -Groucho Marx

Comment

I don't mind them.
      Guns Over People

Comment

I canceled them after getting several Amber alerts in the middle of the night.
        For one thing, I’m rather unlikely to bump into the victim or the perp in the middle of the night since I’m home, in bed.
        Secondly, 9/10 the perp is one of the parents taking the kid from the other parent with court ordered custody, which is more like civil than criminal, at least in my estimation. Yes, I know there are exceptions, of course.
        Originally posted by Hoot Owl;n32354094
        If there were things available to make Trump look good don't you think he would have released them by now?
        To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Comment

No phone, no alerts; just the idiot at the traffic light canceling his alert as the light lingers green, or some such phone distraction.
          - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Citizens and Residents Of The United States and U.S Persons - USA PATRIOT Act Notice: You are hereby notified that under the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, you may be placed under electronic surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site by intelligence or law enforcement agencies at any time or for any purpose for which they may deem fit, without your knowledge or permission and without the order or supervision of any court of law. As the provisions of the Act strictly prohibit, with fines and imprisonment, the managers of this site from disclosing such surveillance should it become known to us, you should assume that you are under surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site, electronic mail or any other form of electronic communication related thereto.

Comment

My wife turned hers off, but I think they are useful and maybe one day I'll be able to help someone.

They need to be loud and alarming to get my attention.
            Did the BLUE WAVE cause your butt hurt?

"Nationalism is a betrayal of patriotism.”

Emmanuel Macron

Comment

Originally posted by RogueGnome View Post
              I canceled them after getting several Amber alerts in the middle of the night.
              yup.
              __________________________________________________ ______________________________
              new sig currently under construction

Comment

I was on Walmart or Amazon and had just clicked the buy button and the phone goes off asking if I approve. This in and of itself makes no sense securitywise but it wanted an answer or no funds. I had no recollection of the service but immediately complied so I could grab the item while it was still on sale. Always read the contract. Anyway the alert could've been anybody - that's today's world; whatever's on the screen.
                Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

I didn't get the "presidential alert."

Flag a Post
                  The Report has been sent.
                  [OK]

Comment

• panhandler
                    panhandler commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Buy a lottery ticket.

• willhaven
                    willhaven commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm not that lucky.

Originally posted by Hoddy View Post
                  I don't mind them.
                  I thought that is where you got your thread ideas.
                  Only in the darkness can you see the stars.

Martin Luther King

Comment

I turned off all notifications. Takes all the element of surprise out of tragedies.

Comment

I've got an old flip phone that doesn't receive alerts. All I get are "...important information about [your] credit card accounts" (I have no credit cards).
                      Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
                      Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read
                      -Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
                        ........ but do they have to be so alarming?
                        I think that's why they're called alerts. YMMV

Last edited by Telecruiser; 12-07-2018, 04:50 PM.
                        "When words don't mean anything, when truth doesn't matter, when people can just lie with abandon, democracy can't work,"

Comment

Originally posted by Telecruiser View Post

I think that's why they're called alerts. YMMV
                          Touche!

However, if we're going to be precise about it, there is a difference between an alert and an alarm...

An alert is any signal that draws attention to something. A state of alert refers to an extended period of time during which heightened vigilance remains in force (hence 'red alert' etc). An alarm is a short warning, drawing instant attention to some danger.

https://www.proz.com/kudoz/english/o...-vs-alarm.html

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                          - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                          - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                          - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Around here, a tornado alert would be a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                            X