Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Do you think that too often making music centers around acquiring gear?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by buckwalder View Post

I get it !
    but, you play keyboard mostly and their just not as sexy as high end guitars and tube amps imo.
    I know some keyboard players who are total gearhounds too. Trust me---there is at LEAST as much needless gear you buy if you're into keys than there is for guitars. Probably much more, actually.

But yeah, nothing more sexy than strapping on a high end guitar and playing in front of that mirror in your man-cave with the Marshall stacks cranked up to 11!

Comment

I have all the gear I need right now. But there is more I'd like to have. I think my next purchase will be a mandolin. The bass player in our band has one and I've played it some and I'd like to learn to play it better.

I currently have one electric guitar, one acoustic guitar, one bass, one electronic keyboard, one guitar amp, one bass amp, one keyboard amp, a drum kit, and two more keyboards, an acoustic baby grand and a Hammond B-3. Oh and a Leslie.

I play in two bands, one that plays one gig a month that consists of only 4 songs (except for the December gig when we play more). It's obviously not a paying gig if we only play four songs. I play piano mostly with that band. That's the band I posted a video of a while back. The venue where we play has a piano in house so I don't need to bring my keyboard unless one of the songs really needs organ. Our next gig is Sunday and I will be playing bass because our bass player can't make it.

The other band practices once a week and plays maybe 3 or 4 gigs a year. I played with them a couple years ago but quit, then last August they asked me to sit in with them at a show because the new keyboard player couldn't make it. I decided I'd like to rejoin and they said OK. So I switch between keys and guitar. And there's a couple songs where the bass player likes to play guitar so I play bass on those.
      Best deals on recording
      Gismo Studios: link
      My original music on ReverbNation: link
      Gismo Studios on ReverbNation: link
      Islam is a much greater threat to the free world than Communism ever was. - Easy Listener

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post

I know some keyboard players who are total gearhounds too. Trust me---there is at LEAST as much needless gear you buy if you're into keys than there is for guitars. Probably much more, actually.
        I'm missing a Hohner D5 and a Wurli, otherwise I'm all set
        Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

I feel like I err on the other side a bit. I always figured the best way to increase the value of your gear is to put in an hour of focused practice. Plus I can carry my whole rig, guitar, amp and a bag with my distortion, wah and cords in one trip! But sometimes I hear a player who may not be melting my face off but who can really dial in the right sound and effects for a situation and for what they want to convey, and I think that's really its own skill and needs to be developed too.

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

• buckwalder
            buckwalder commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what in all about. It's a tedious process .
            The effects today are insanely good.
            It takes a wealth of time to dial everything in.
            But when you do....it blows away playing in a cover band in front of a bunch drunks.

Give me a decent guitar and a non-master volume Marshall and I'm good to go.
          Guns Over People

Comment

I've always been fascinated by those guys who accumulate a ton of gear but never actually play in any bands or gig.
            I’m way too shy to play out. I can barely ever play in front of people I love. I mostly play for me.

I’ve got lots of nice guitars and such though.

I just bought a Fender Brad Paisley Tele. I don’t like his music, but man that sparkle silver thing has the best neck ever.

Comment

I think now a days the gear is so specialized that you need certain gear for the music you like to play.

Whether it's pups for an acoustic or a mic. Does a Marshall work with that?
              Pedals? Delay, Reverb? ?? I don't know. Not much of an acoustic player.

Back in the day, if you had a guitar, coil cord, FuzzTone and an amp that worked, that was it!

lol.

Now I am digital, have 70 amp models, 13 cabs, don't know how many effects and mics.
              1 small combo bass amp I don't use at all.

Have a pedal board with a few effects I used for church. They have a nice AC-30 I play through. So don't have to drag that monster around.

My guitars I have because I like them and tried not to get too redundant in sound.

I know guys with like 13 strats or 9 LP's, That might be nice if ya got the money and space.

Comment

But yeah, nothing more sexy than strapping on a high end guitar and playing in front of that mirror in your man-cave with the Marshall stacks cranked up to 11!
                Guido, my wife already thinks im a manchild.
                she would divorce me if I did any of the silly stuff you described.
                are you projecting?......

Comment

Originally posted by powbob01 View Post

I’m way too shy to play out. I can barely ever play in front of people I love. I mostly play for me.

I’ve got lots of nice guitars and such though.

I just bought a Fender Brad Paisley Tele. I don’t like his music, but man that sparkle silver thing has the best neck ever.

I'm usually much more nervous playing for people I know. Most of those idiots that I play for, I really don't care what they think (Of course, I enjoy it more when the crowd is having fun, and when the venue wants you back)

I'm primarily a tele player, and picked-up one of those Brad Paisley guitars at a store. Felt fantastic, and rang (acoustically, I didn't plug it in) like a bell.

Comment

Just keep one thing in the back of your mind.
                    the rush 2112 album may come true some day.
                    probably, not in our lifetime though. Too many idiots that will go listen to some cover band, drive home drunk and pay a huge amount of money to maintain their current status.
                    there's big money to be made off the stupid. ....ask any attorney.

Comment

• guido61
                      guido61 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      One thing I vow NEVER to keep in the back of my mind?

Rush albums.

Yes. Music is the point but gear isn't. What gets discussed more and in what context? My last substantial gear buy was recent but it was to replace what I used to have, meaning, it isn't new gear to me. I can't think of anything I'd like to get at this point. But, I fly solo so gear isn't exactly a focus.
                    - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Citizens and Residents Of The United States and U.S Persons - USA PATRIOT Act Notice: You are hereby notified that under the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, you may be placed under electronic surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site by intelligence or law enforcement agencies at any time or for any purpose for which they may deem fit, without your knowledge or permission and without the order or supervision of any court of law. As the provisions of the Act strictly prohibit, with fines and imprisonment, the managers of this site from disclosing such surveillance should it become known to us, you should assume that you are under surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site, electronic mail or any other form of electronic communication related thereto.

Comment

Originally posted by buckwalder View Post

Guido, my wife already thinks im a manchild.
                      she would divorce me if I did any of the silly stuff you described.
                      are you projecting?......
                      Nope. I’ve been gigging out regularly for 40+ years. I barely even like to rehearse anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by wasgtrjones View Post

I'm usually much more nervous playing for people I know. Most of those idiots that I play for, I really don't care what they think (Of course, I enjoy it more when the crowd is having fun, and when the venue wants you back)

I'm primarily a tele player, and picked-up one of those Brad Paisley guitars at a store. Felt fantastic, and rang (acoustically, I didn't plug it in) like a bell.

It’s so resonant.

And so light.

Mine weighs less than six pounds

Comment

Originally posted by gismo recording View Post
                          I have all the gear I need right now. But there is more I'd like to have. I think my next purchase will be a mandolin. The bass player in our band has one and I've played it some and I'd like to learn to play it better.

I currently have one electric guitar, one acoustic guitar, one bass, one electronic keyboard, one guitar amp, one bass amp, one keyboard amp, a drum kit, and two more keyboards, an acoustic baby grand and a Hammond B-3. Oh and a Leslie.

I play in two bands, one that plays one gig a month that consists of only 4 songs (except for the December gig when we play more). It's obviously not a paying gig if we only play four songs. I play piano mostly with that band. That's the band I posted a video of a while back. The venue where we play has a piano in house so I don't need to bring my keyboard unless one of the songs really needs organ. Our next gig is Sunday and I will be playing bass because our bass player can't make it.

The other band practices once a week and plays maybe 3 or 4 gigs a year. I played with them a couple years ago but quit, then last August they asked me to sit in with them at a show because the new keyboard player couldn't make it. I decided I'd like to rejoin and they said OK. So I switch between keys and guitar. And there's a couple songs where the bass player likes to play guitar so I play bass on those.

Mandolin is so fun.

Comment

I remember when Guitar Player magazine was about playing the guitar and I learned about players like Cornell Dupree and read articles by Howard Roberts and Tommy Tedesco. I eventually cancelled my subscription because it became like looking through the Sears catalogue.

Speaking of Cornee Dupree, I went to a Joe Cocker concert back when Joe wasn't doing so well. The opening act had a keyboard player who stood between two racks of keyboards and made a lot of noise. Joe's band, on the other hand, had Cornell on guitar and Richard Tee who played a grand piano and a Fender Rhodes. Needless to say, Mr. Tee grooved, made music and led the band with this enormous grin on his face that I will never forget. I can't even remember the name of the openinig act.

I moved away for a while - off island as we like to say around here - and took all my gear with me. When I came back I was travelling light and just brought a Telecaster and a small 50 Watt SS amp. I was thinking that if I can't do it with this then I'm in the wrong business.

Sure enough, I was back for two days when I got a call to fill in with a band who's lead guitar player couldn't make it. I was fine with no pedals or a second guitar.

There is an intersting history of the Travelling Wilburys on youtube. There is a scene where Jim Keltner is playing rhythms on the inside bits of a 'big refrigerator' and he's actuallymaking music.

As the old saying goes... it's not what you've got but how you use it

Last edited by onelife; 12-06-2018, 09:02 PM.
                            "Isn't it a pity, isn't it a shame,
                            how we break each other's hearts
                            and cause each other pain"

Comment

Working...
                            X