Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Do you think that too often making music centers around acquiring gear?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack View Post

I would agree to some point. I would suggest that if you're doing punk, metal, and hard rock, you could cover it with 3 guitars and one (maybe 2) amps.....but that's probably not the reason you have all of 'em, right?

The majority of playing that I do comes in two flavors - jazz/pop/rock/funk cover bands and musical theater gigs. Both require a wide range of sounds, and the theatrical stuff can require swapping from jazz to funk to country to heavy rock within a few bars (damn you, Andrew Lloyd Webber!). In the pit, space is at a premium so I can't always bring 5 different guitars - and I already generally need an electric, a steel-string, a nylon-string, and maybe an oddball like banjo, ukelele, or mandolin just to cover the prescriptive parts. The only reason I will carry multiple electrics into a pit gig is if I need a fast change of tunings.

I use the Bogner because it allows me to cover a lot of different styles without carrying multiple amps, and a single rack FX unit with a wide range of programs allows me to swap from EWF to Green Day to Van Halen to Freddie Green with a couple of footswitch taps. There are other 3- and 4-channel amps that can do this as well....YMMV. JMO. Lather, rinse, repeat. Don't try this at home. Professional on closed course, etc.
    Different types of metal call for different tunings My Anderson is great for that 90's E flat thing, my SG is great for tuning down low with 12's for that doom/stoner rock sound and I have a 7 string. For punk I like P90's and tele's tuned to A standard.

I have a bass and an acoustic guitar so I really only have 5 electric guitars, so for what I do that's plenty. As far amps for hard rock and punk I love the sound of my 4 hole Marshall, for the metal stuff I use high gain channel switchers.

Comment

• guido61
      guido61 commented
      Editing a comment
      When you said you use 7 guitars and 4 amps I thought you were being facetious.

• Daehtihs
      Daehtihs commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't even run in stereo.

Originally posted by guido61 View Post
    I've always been fascinated by those guys who accumulate a ton of gear but never actually play in any bands or gig.
    I never enjoyed playing out. Too much work.
    about two years ago I almost got myself into another band. I don't like doing things half assed and I saw the writing on the wall with these guys. The drummer still calls me even though I don't answer his calls.
    so, I just collect gear and record my own music when I get back into it.

Comment

I don't look down on them. It's just odd to me.

For me it's always been about the gig and I've spent most of life just barely being able to afford just enough good gear to get by. So I've never really ever had a surplus of gear. Now that I'm older I've accumulated a lot but most of that is because I have a bunch of old stuff in the basement that I've never gotten around to getting rid of.

Keyboards tend to wear out after about 5-10 years, depending on how often you play out, and that seems to be right about the time someone comes out with the news latest-and-greatest board anyway. So I've never really had any overkill. And I try to keep the rig to minimum because it's a pain in the ass to haul around and set up as it is.

Back-in-the-day one needed a full arsenal of keyboards to get all the different sounds you might want. Technology is such now that all of that isn't needed. One or two good boards is all you need, really.

Outboard effects units are pretty much obsolete too.
      I wonder how many hernia surgeries Keith Emerson's roadies had moving his old modular syth rigs around!

Click image for larger version

Name:	p107_0_01_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	32411076

Comment

Originally posted by Daehtihs View Post

I saw a guy that had literally dozens of high end 100 watt amps that he's never gigged or even jammed. He just rocks out by himself.
        I have a good friend who is like that. Has a ton of gear --- more amps and guitars than I would ever want or need --- and is always telling me about how he got some new gear so he could get some particular sound he wants -- but he's never gigged, never played in a band, and when I've suggested we jam, he doesn't want to do that either. He just wants to crank up his amps and enjoy playing by himself.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. But it's so very far from where my head is at when it comes to music and gear.

Comment

• Daehtihs
          Daehtihs commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, I hear ya'

I've always been fascinated by those guys who accumulate a ton of gear but never actually play in any bands or gig.
        Yeah - they're called "recording producers / engineers."

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
        - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
        - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
        - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I've purchased one pedal in two years. Aside from strings and picks, that's it. I've written a lot of songs, and now I'm desperate to get on stage with them. But it's slow getting new band to learn it all. Hopefully by the spring we'll be on stage.

But I've always thought of new gear as a means to an end. Dreaming of what you'll do with that super duper delay pedal you're eyeing could inspire new song ideas. And given the enormous role that technology played in the development of rock and other 20th century popular music, I think it's quite fitting that rock musicians being in a mode of seeking new tools that will unlock new potentials.

Well, the one new piece of "gear" that's been bringing me new ideas is my voice. I never sang lead (with a good sounding voice) before. Now I'm trained up better. I guess that falls under musicianship, but it feels to me like getting a new instrument for the stage rig.
          My band!:
          www.steelphantoms.com/
          my stage stuff:
          fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

Comment

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack View Post

I would agree to some point. I would suggest that if you're doing punk, metal, and hard rock, you could cover it with 3 guitars and one (maybe 2) amps.....but that's probably not the reason you have all of 'em, right?

The majority of playing that I do comes in two flavors - jazz/pop/rock/funk cover bands and musical theater gigs. Both require a wide range of sounds, and the theatrical stuff can require swapping from jazz to funk to country to heavy rock within a few bars (damn you, Andrew Lloyd Webber!). In the pit, space is at a premium so I can't always bring 5 different guitars - and I already generally need an electric, a steel-string, a nylon-string, and maybe an oddball like banjo, ukelele, or mandolin just to cover the prescriptive parts. The only reason I will carry multiple electrics into a pit gig is if I need a fast change of tunings.

I use the Bogner because it allows me to cover a lot of different styles without carrying multiple amps, and a single rack FX unit with a wide range of programs allows me to swap from EWF to Green Day to Van Halen to Freddie Green with a couple of footswitch taps. There are other 3- and 4-channel amps that can do this as well....YMMV. JMO. Lather, rinse, repeat. Don't try this at home. Professional on closed course, etc.
            What what what?? Your guitars have neither heads nor tails! They could fit anywhere!!
            My band!:
            www.steelphantoms.com/
            my stage stuff:
            fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

Comment

Originally posted by buckwalder View Post

about two years ago I almost got myself into another band. I don't like doing things half assed and I saw the writing on the wall with these guys. The drummer still calls me even though I don't answer his calls.
              so, I just collect gear and record my own music when I get back into it.
              Playing out in front of audiences and getting a good response from them and watching them have a good time and hearing that applause afterwards? That's my primary motivation for playing music at all.

The load in and load outs and all of that are a lot of work, but that's what I consider I'm getting paid for. The actual performing I consider I'm doing for free.
              Last edited by guido61; 12-06-2018, 01:50 PM.

Comment

I love new guitars, new amps, new sounds. Sometimes the new guitar makes the sound you wanted, sometimes not. I've been shopping for gear since the 80s, and have bought and sold and built quite a few things.

But the thing I've noticed, with ME, personally, is when I'm in a band that's fairly busy (my current band has been together for less than 6 months, but already playing 3 to 4 to 5 gigs every month, which is plenty for me) - when I'm busy playing, I'm not shopping. I bought a pair of pedals for this band, but haven't bought anything else since.

And though I have a number of guitars, there's one telecaster that just seems to fit with this band, and I swear I've played it and only it, 99% of the time with this band. It makes me happy.

Comment

Playing out in front of audiences and getting a good response from them and watching them have a good time and hearing that applause afterwards? That's my primary motivation for playing music at all.

The load in and load outs and all of that are a lot of work, but that's what I consider I'm getting paid for. The actual performing I consider I'm doing for free.
                  I get it !
                  but, you play keyboard mostly and their just not as sexy as high end guitars and tube amps imo.

Comment

• Crazyfoo
                    Crazyfoo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I don't know about that buck, the new Moog One has some major sex appeal!

I'm hoping to grow into my gear.
                  tRump is NO star player. The ball simply bounced in his direction.

Comment

Originally posted by buckwalder View Post

I have a twice-a-month residency gig. Its the perfect amount of playing out for me.

Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Originally posted by wasgtrjones View Post
                      I love new guitars, new amps, new sounds. Sometimes the new guitar makes the sound you wanted, sometimes not.
                      But even when not you frequently find a new sound that you like just as much.

Best deals on recording
                      Gismo Studios: link
                      My original music on ReverbNation: link
                      Gismo Studios on ReverbNation: link
                      Islam is a much greater threat to the free world than Communism ever was. - Easy Listener

Comment

AFAIC, I think "gear" can get in the way of good music. I'm not against it but too many players over rely on it to make up for their musical shortcomings, that's why I play mainly acoustic guitar, just me and the instrument. Tone should come from the heart and hands, not a rack or pedalboard loaded with "gear". JMHO
                        Winning an argument with a smart person is difficult. Winning an argument with a stupid person is damn near impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Daehtihs View Post

I wonder how many hernia surgeries Keith Emerson's roadies had moving his old modular syth rigs around!

Click image for larger version

Name:	p107_0_01_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	32411076
                          I did load-ins and outs for a local venue for years.
                          B3s and Leslies and bands who brought their own boards were the bane of my existence.
                          To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Originally posted by -NPC-;n32500008

Trump is not creepy. He is lovable and charming.

Comment

Working...
                          X