Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More of your own thoughts, less extensive quotes, memes and images please

Hey folks, how about a bit more discussion and a lot less memes?

They're being over-used - yes, I'm gonna say it - by both sides.

I've been getting some complaints about this lately.

I'd like to see more discussion and less of the junk; we seem to have better, more thoughtful discussions when there's less of that sort of thing, so let's all try to post more of our own thoughts and less stuff (with the exception of links) - including large quotations (feel free to keep quoting small, relevant sections from off-site articles if they pertain to the topic under discussion), memes and images - that is sourced from off-site.

The ALL-CAPS HEADLINES!!! and extensive C&P quotes that constitute the majority of some posts are also getting old... and I'm getting complaints about them too.

I'm not saying you can't use them at all, but try to use them less frequently, and more judiciously please.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
    - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Amen, Phil.

I've never posted a meme anywhere in my life. Some are amusing. Most are shallow at best, incomplete or misleading in the middle and, at the all-too-common extreme, they're outright wrong and hateful.

Like gratuitious profanity in spoken communication, I view habitual use of memes online to be the sign of someone who has no real case to make -- and no logic or intellect to back up his feelings.

When this sticky runs its course, perhaps the forum's leading meme-meister will master the apostrophe.
    Last edited by arf-boy; 10-25-2018, 11:56 AM. Reason: typo
    !

Comment

Above this post it says "This is a sticky topic", which I find to be delightfully ironic!
      gp

"You speak with total clarity.
      "And complete irrelevance."
      --Howard Cosell. Said to Minnesota Fats during a matchup with Willie Mosconi.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
        Above this post it says "This is a sticky topic", which I find to be delightfully ironic!
        Beware the sticky wicket.
        (When in court, after swearing to tell the truth) "Facts are facts and alternative facts are perjury."

...Julia Olson, executive director, Our Children's Trust

Comment

Seriously Phil, you want more of MY comments?

Comment

Hey Phil, on a serious note (Cb), I tend to insert charts and graphs with data to back up my assertions. Is this part of the targeted excess.....?
          Lease this space!

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
            Phil O'Keefe commented
            Editing a comment
            No - again, if they're supporting facts that illustrate your post, that's one thing - when they constitute the bulk of the post, that's another matter.

Some of my thoughts..

I think I will cook breakfast for dinner tonight for bildette and I.

Damn...what was that noise on the house. (limb fell on the roof: explanation..not a thought)

Where did I put that flashlight.

I need to go pee......

Comment

Hallelujah. Quotes bother me less than memes because at least the source is provided (theoretically) to help gauge the credibility. Memes have no source.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack View Post
              Hey Phil, on a serious note (Cb), I tend to insert charts and graphs with data to back up my assertions. Is this part of the targeted excess.....?
              I would hope background relevant "images" would be exempt as long as you (or who ever) gives reason for the image.

But then again, I don't make the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack View Post
                I highly doubt it. Graphs and stats are information, not annoying silliness.

When Guido gets back, you two should be free to duke it out with info... like a war of info... hmm... what could we call it?
                For those who prefer to listen rather than read and who ask these questions: What underlying crimes were being investigated when Trump obstructed justice? Why wasn't he indicted? Why did Mueller discuss indicting a sitting president in Volume II but not Volume I?
                https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Muell...ook/B07PXN468K

My (old dead) band!:
                www.steelphantoms.com/
                PM me if you want to give me a Deluxe US Strat with locking tuners and 22 frets for <$800. Fancy Strymon pedals welcome too!

Comment

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack

Are you trying to turn this into a religion thread? Have memes become a religious issue?

Free the Memes!
                  The Book of Meme was discarded in the Council of Micaea, though new copies have been discovered under a rock in upstate New York, written on golden tablets.
                  (When in court, after swearing to tell the truth) "Facts are facts and alternative facts are perjury."

...Julia Olson, executive director, Our Children's Trust

Comment

He who lives by the meme...…..nah!

My name is Yakburger and I approve of this message.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Flynn View Post
                      I'm so tempted to post a meme.
                      But you won't because you're not a NPC.

I have no problem with memes if they make a point. It falls under "a picture (meme) is worth a thousand words."

As for me, I'd like to see a lot less thread crapping in the form of deflection. I'd like to see a lot less call for "link". I see this place as one of those old water coolers we used to hang around back in the hippie days. We talked, we weren't required to run to the library every time be brought up something we thought we saw in a book or newspaper article. And when simply saying "all my posts are my opinion" in your tag line circumvents it, it makes it pointless.

Most of the stuff that annoys me here is just the general childishness of a lot of posts. But I'm certainly not going to complain about it. I just ignore them. It's why I rarely respond to some posters here. Not worth my time.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
                        Hey folks, how about a bit more discussion and a lot less memes?

They're being over-used - yes, I'm gonna say it - by both sides.
                        What's a meme within the context of your post? The word has become a sort of urban dictionary item. I only know it from the scientific definition and it's really loose usage on the internet.

Are you talking about things like, "I don't think that word means what you think it means", often on a picture of the guy in Princess Bride?

Comment

Yes, that's a good example of what I'm referring to Easy Listener - so is what Daryl posted in post #16 above.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                          - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                          - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                          - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Working...
                          X