No announcement yet.

Why are people afraid of the night?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are people afraid of the night?

As if light pollution wasn't already bad enough, China wants to launch an artificial moon into orbit to help illuminate one of their cities, with more to possibly follow if the design proves to be effective.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...HOu?li=BBnb7Kz

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
    - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

people are afraid of the night because it is black and they are racist.
    {O,O}
    (__(\
    " "

Comment

"it could be eight times more luminous than the actual, original moon." WTF!!!
      How incredibly obnoxious, Yeah Phil, talk about light pollution! Would you even be able to see the stars anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
        As if light pollution wasn't already bad enough, China wants to launch an artificial moon into orbit to help illuminate one of their cities, with more to possibly follow if the design proves to be effective.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...HOu?li=BBnb7Kz
        Well, F China

I think there is light pollution.

I moved out into the country (as much as you can in coastal So Cal). Wine country, actually. And, these losers from LA and the Bay Area come here and want to put bright LED lights everywhere.

I like it pitch black at night.

Last edited by Daryl Flynn; 10-19-2018, 11:56 AM.

“Allowing the immigration to take place in Europe is a shame. I think it changed the fabric of Europe and, unless you act very quickly, it’s never going to be what it was and I don’t mean that in a positive way.” - President Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Flynn View Post

Well, F China

I think there is light pollution.

I moved out into the country (as much as you can in coastal So Cal). Wine country, actually. And, these losers from LA and the Bay Area come here and want to put bright LED lights everywhere.

I guess nobody wants to look up and see stars anymore.

Comment

• Daryl Flynn
            Daryl Flynn commented
            Editing a comment
            I guess so.

Pretty sad.

Originally posted by Turd Furgison View Post
          people are afraid of the night because it is black and they are racist.
          Originally posted by Daryl Flynn View Post
          I'll await my NAACP award.

It will go on a shelf next to my 6th grade football trophy.

“Allowing the immigration to take place in Europe is a shame. I think it changed the fabric of Europe and, unless you act very quickly, it’s never going to be what it was and I don’t mean that in a positive way.” - President Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Daehtihs View Post
            "it could be eight times more luminous than the actual, original moon." WTF!!!
            How incredibly obnoxious, Yeah Phil, talk about light pollution! Would you even be able to see the stars anymore?
            Depending on where you live, you already can't see the majority of them that you would normally be able to see with the unaided eye from a dark location... just a small handful of them at most. Going to a truly "dark site" is a mind-blowing, eye-opening revelation for many people.

I live in a brown zone (just brighter than the yellow zones - about a Bortle Class 5) and I can see the Milky Way on a moonless night with the naked eye, but it's pretty blown-out. Most people in the world live in red, gray or white zones and can't see it at all from where they live. Some can't even make out the brightest constellations, such as Orion or Ursa Major (the "big dipper.") And that's a shame. It's not only bad for scientific research, but it's messing with sleep and overall health for a lot of people too.

Check this Dark Sky finder to see how bad the light pollution is where you live:

https://darksitefinder.com/maps/worl...4/39.00/-98.00

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
            - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
            - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
            - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Daehtihs View Post

I guess nobody wants to look up and see stars anymore.
              Can't see many stars from NYC. But I prefer the hoppin' night life and high population density. (You were commenting yesterday on America's broken big cities. You should come visit us here!)
              My band!:
              www.steelphantoms.com/
              my stage stuff:
              fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

Comment

• Daryl Flynn
                Daryl Flynn commented
                Editing a comment
                You'll grow out of that.

• Daehtihs
                Daehtihs commented
                Editing a comment
                If I'm ever in the area the first round is on me!

• arcadesonfire
                arcadesonfire commented
                Editing a comment
                I know
                But till then !!
                Last edited by arcadesonfire; 10-19-2018, 06:35 PM.

Sounds like an idea Montgomery Burns thought of.

Comment

Depending on where you live, you already can't see the majority of them that you would normally be able to see with the unaided eye from a dark location... just a small handful of them at most. Going to a truly "dark site" is a mind-blowing, eye-opening revelation for many people.

I live in a brown zone (just brighter than the yellow zones - about a Bortle Class 5) and I can see the Milky Way on a moonless night with the naked eye, but it's pretty blown-out. Most people in the world live in red, gray or white zones and can't see it at all from where they live. Some can't even make out the brightest constellations, such as Orion or Ursa Major (the "big dipper.") And that's a shame. It's not only bad for scientific research, but it's messing with sleep and overall health for a lot of people too.

Check this Dark Sky finder to see how bad the light pollution is where you live:

Yep, I'm unsurprisingly in a white zone.

That map is another illustration of how few people there are in western red states.
                My band!:
                www.steelphantoms.com/
                my stage stuff:
                fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

Comment

Crimson Trace lasergrips
                  Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
                  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read
                  -Groucho Marx

Comment

I just moved from the middle of San Francisco (no stars visible) to a very small town (pop. 250) in far northern California. The difference in star-gazing is incredible. And yes I can see the Milky Way.
                    Real power is - I don't even want to use the word - fear.
                    -Donald Trump

Ed Phobes has taken music to a place where it has never been before, and will never go again. In my life, I have heard great music, and I have heard terrible music. Now I have heard this. Thank you. – sydfan

https://soundcloud.com/ed-phobes

Comment

• Daehtihs
                      Daehtihs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice!

Somewhat related: When I was walking to my apartment Tuesday night, buildings as far as the eye could see were draped in light--at the buildings that weren't shadowed, which suggested this light was coming from a very specific location. I go walk a block out of my way and find these blinding lights (I should not have looked straight at them) on a building a block down from mine. I thought it was cruel that the lights were right across the street from an old folks home.

Walk into my apartment, and looking out the window (where I've got a view of the above-ground subway tracks and then progressively taller buildings for a couple miles), all the buildings were bathed in light that was coming from behind me. A couple hours later, a big bright light appears on one of those buildings in the "canyon" across from me, flooding the area with even more light. It was wild.

Obviously they were filming a movie somewhere, but I've never seen them light up a whole neighborhood like that. Weird wild stuff.
                    My band!:
                    www.steelphantoms.com/
                    my stage stuff:

Comment

Love that link. I'm kind of a map junkie anyway. One thing I noticed about the area around Cripple Creek, CO is that there was a lot of light pollution from the working gold mine between there and Victor.
                      Could you tell a wise man
                      By the way he speaks or spells?
                      Is this more important
                      Than the stories that he tells?

...the Yardbirds

Comment

I'm in the red.

Comment

Working...
                        X