Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone remember GIR Unit/Papa Grizzly (Mark)?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone remember GIR Unit/Papa Grizzly (Mark)?

He was my favourite lefty here. Real funny guy, didn't take anything too seriously. We used to PM each other every day and laugh about everyone. We'd challenge each other to do stupid sh-- on the forum. We'd stage big forum fights and then laugh about it in PMs. He had a super quick wit.

It was sad that he died.

Man, that must almost be about 9 years ago he died. Those days seem so long ago now. It was such a different forum then. Much more fun, but I guess there's something to the small local bar type group we have now as opposed to that busy insane clusterf---.

Last edited by Daryl Flynn; 10-13-2018, 09:36 PM.

I remember. Didn't have much affinity but also didn't hate the guy. Others fit in the same general category for me, but on different levels.

Since we're talking about ghosts and it's Halloween season I'll mention Terry Allen Hall and some guy from Scotland who called himself Gallus. It still gives one pause to wonder how many of the forum's stalwarts may have left for one reason but will never return due to their being discorporate. I see this as an argument in favor of our being civil in our comportment toward others because you just never know when it's going to happen. But happen, it will.
    gp

"What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men just can't be reached. So, you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants. The... I don't like it any more than you men."

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
      I remember. Didn't have much affinity but also didn't hate the guy. Others fit in the same general category for me, but on different levels.

Since we're talking about ghosts and it's Halloween season I'll mention Terry Allen Hall and some guy from Scotland who called himself Gallus. It still gives one pause to wonder how many of the forum's stalwarts may have left for one reason but will never return due to their being discorporate. I see this as an argument in favor of our being civil in our comportment toward others because you just never know when it's going to happen. But happen, it will.
      I know TAH died, but do you think Gallus died?

There is definitely less animosity here than there used to be. There's no one here that I think "I would hate that guy in real life", politics aside. That wasn't always the case.

Speaking of Gallus ...

Comment

Used to argue with Mark about bass fishing, of all things. He lived in a part of Missouri where I used to live, we'd fished some of the same spots. Talked a bit on the phone. I was sad when he took sick and died.

TAH and I were quite friendly. He died while I was permabanned, it was a shock when I found out. Never heard what took him, always wondered.
        Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
        Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read
        -Groucho Marx

Comment

• panhandler
          panhandler commented
          Editing a comment
          Heart attack. Family said he went quickly.

• Danocoustic
          Danocoustic commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah, thanks panhandler.

Ninja of Love.

Terry was my bud, met him when we were 15 or so. Gigged occasionally over the years. Last time I saw him he came by the place I worked I took him out to lunch for Mexican food.

Is This Thing On?

https://soundcloud.com/tom-hicks888

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Hicks View Post
          Ninja of Love.

Terry was my bud, met him when we were 15 or so. Gigged occasionally over the years. Last time I saw him he came by the place I worked I took him out to lunch for Mexican food.
          No kiddin'! Tom, I would've really liked to have met him. We spoke on the 'phone several times. He was a weirdo and a whacko and I liked him quite a lot. He did what he wanted to do the way he wanted to do it and didn't give much of a rip what anyone thought about it. Accepted the consequences yet was still compassionate. His high squeaky speaking voice was entirely different from his singing voice!

Ninja of Love---that takes me back to my earliest days on HC.
          -Groucho Marx

Comment

• Tom Hicks
            Tom Hicks commented
            Editing a comment
            Terry was an amateur herpetologist when I met him. His living room was full of glass aquariums he stocked with snakes frogs and lizards.

Musically he was definitely from the Americana School; Folk Music, Appalachian music, fiddle tunes that sort of thing.

Mark and I became pretty good friends...we used to talk on the phone once or so a week. I used to send him my copies of Vintage Guitar cause he couldn't find them where he lived.
          Guns Over People

Comment

Gotta pour one out for Sydfan too. One o' them universally beloved types.

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

I remember TAH, but not the others. I honestly can't remember much about his post or what his demeanor was. seems like I remember his posting a video of a solo performance.
              ''All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"--Edmund Burke
              Man created science to create what man wants science to create.

Comment

Originally posted by Opposite Day View Post
                Gotta pour one out for Sydfan too. One o' them universally beloved types.
                Sydfan, he my brudda. Son of a BUCK!

Visited me on his ancient Gold Wing in JUL06. Brought me a Glenlivit gift set because I can't stand scotch. Still got the glasses.

Refused to refrigerate his ketchup, even though I spoke to Heinz on the 'phone and they said yes, refrigerate it. Stubborn bastige. Had a problem with ketchup on hot dogs, too. Don't know why I bothered with him.

I miss Larry. Yes, I do.
                -Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by stratosaurus View Post
                  I remember TAH, but not the others. I honestly can't remember much about his post or what his demeanor was. seems like I remember his posting a video of a solo performance.
                  TAH was always fighting with Hoddy. Kind of like guido and I, but I don't think they really liked each other.

I found TAH to be a little self righteous, but I know a number of people here liked him.

Comment

Lucid Vision

Comment

Originally posted by nedezero1 View Post
                      Lucid Vision
                      Very cool guy.

First person who ever PM'd me.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Flynn View Post
                        He was my favourite lefty here. Real funny guy, didn't take anything too seriously. We used to PM each other every day and laugh about everyone. We'd challenge each other to do stupid sh-- on the forum. We'd stage big forum fights and then laugh about it in PMs. He had a super quick wit.

It was sad that he died.

Man, that must almost be about 9 years ago he died. Those days seem so long ago now. It was such a different forum then. Much more fun, but I guess there's something to the small local bar type group we have now as opposed to that busy insane clusterf---.

What moniker were you using back then?

I loaned you all that cash when nobody else would, so now you can't criticize me for murdering a journalist.

Ed Phobes has taken music to a place where it has never been before, and will never go again. In my life, I have heard great music, and I have heard terrible music. Now I have heard this. Thank you. – sydfan

https://soundcloud.com/ed-phobes

Comment

Originally posted by -Ed Phobes- View Post

What moniker were you using back then?

Newbie Chick

Comment

Working...
                          X