No announcement yet.

"[Harvard] considers race only as one of many factors in deciding ..."

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "[Harvard] considers race only as one of many factors in deciding ..."

As far as I'm concerned, race should be NONE of the factors.

From the same article:

"... Harvard has not seriously considered alternative, race-neutral approaches to admissions."

And,

"... the Supreme Court’s most recent ruling on affirmative action, the Court held that college can consider race as one factor in admissions ..."

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

https://www.vox.com/vox-sentences/20...rmative-action
    gp

"What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men just can't be reached. So, you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants. The... I don't like it any more than you men."

Yep, race shouldn't be a factor.

But, Harvard is over run by C-Marxists.

Their agenda isn't to help minorities, it's to hurt whites.

God I'm glad the right has the SC for the next 50 years.

Last edited by Daryl Flynn; 10-13-2018, 08:21 PM.

“Allowing the immigration to take place in Europe is a shame. I think it changed the fabric of Europe and, unless you act very quickly, it’s never going to be what it was and I don’t mean that in a positive way.” - President Trump

Comment

Asians have a law suit for discrimination.

It's obvious.

Some black person of color only needs 300 pts less than an asian.

Maybe 150 pts less than a white person.

High cheekbones gets you tenure.

Comment

Not caring what color anyone is? As any lib can tell you, that's like the most racist thing you can do! Even worse than having Black friends!
        Last edited by Opposite Day; 10-14-2018, 01:54 AM.

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

The lawsuit contends that Asians are held to a higher standard to be considered for admission. So it's a test to exclude, based on ethnicity.
          Originally posted by MrKnobs
          God, that's beautiful man! And they say romance is dead!

Comment

C-Marxists fear Asians.

Way too smart, in general.

“Allowing the immigration to take place in Europe is a shame. I think it changed the fabric of Europe and, unless you act very quickly, it’s never going to be what it was and I don’t mean that in a positive way.” - President Trump

Comment

Howdy folks. I've thought a lot about the lawsuit and of course weigh arguments on both sides. First, I'm compelled to toss in a factoid from a friend who has worked in the Yale admissions office for a few years. He reports that if they were to go just based on SAT scores, an incoming class would be something like 80% Asian; the white legacy students who get in not because of their performance but because the schools need their parents to write large checks would cover the next 15% as they do currently; and then there would be 5% room left for everyone else. Again, that's if they went just based on entrance exam scores. Surely you folks recognize a high schooler features more evidence of proclivity to be an important, productive, unique contributor to their college class than just their standardized test scores. Hence, Harvard's defense includes discussion of "personal score." I'm positive my involvement with the guitar and church, as well as my personal essays and letters of recommendation, helped me get into my school. Moving along though...

Here's my big question for the conservatives: Why do you think people who live in smaller-population states should have more electoral votes per person? Why do you think people in small-pop states should have more senators per person? I think that if you consider why our government gives greater weight to the voices of people who are living less common lifestyles (as there are fewer people living rural lifestyles than urban), then you might glean some insight about why institutions give more weight to applicants (with scores in a certain range) who've had the less common life experiences.
              Last edited by arcadesonfire; 10-15-2018, 03:40 PM.
              My band!:
              www.steelphantoms.com/
              my stage stuff:
              fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

Comment

Originally posted by arcadesonfire View Post
                Howdy folks. I've thought a lot about the lawsuit and of course weigh arguments on both sides. First, I'm compelled to toss in a factoid from a friend who has worked in the Yale admissions office for a few years. He reports that if they were to go just based on SAT scores, an incoming class would be something like 80% Asian; the white legacy students who get in not because of their performance but because the schools need their parents to write large checks would cover the next 15% as they do currently; and then there would be 5% room left for everyone else. Again, that's if they went just based on entrance exam scores. Surely you folks recognize a high schooler features more evidence of proclivity to be an important, productive, unique contributor to their college class than just their standardized test scores. Hence, Harvard's defense includes discussion of "personal score." I'm positive my involvement with the guitar and church, as well as my personal essays and letters of recommendation, helped me get into my school. Moving along though...

Here's my big question for the conservatives: Why do you think people who live in smaller-population states should have more electoral votes per person? Why do you think people in small-pop states should have more senators per person? I think that if you consider why our government gives greater weight to the voices of people who are living less common lifestyles (as there are fewer people living rural lifestyles than urban), then you might glean some insight about why institutions give more weight to applicants (with scores in a certain range) who've had the less common life experiences.
                Because we are a union of states, each with its own laws, and the states electoral votes are proportional to their population. Not sure how that's an analogue for the racial preferences dems always champion.

But what's the rationale of denying fruits of the hard work and achievement of Asian students? Asian privilege? Are are we just saying that that the good hair comes with giant brains that give them an unfair advantage?

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

Originally posted by Opposite Day View Post

Because we are a union of states, each with its own laws, and the states electoral votes are proportional to their population. Not sure how that's an analogue for the racial preferences dems always champion.

But what's the rationale of denying fruits of the hard work and achievement of Asian students? Asian privilege? Are are we just saying that that the good hair comes with giant brains that give them an unfair advantage?
                  Slight correction:

The electoral votes are not in proportion. The reason for this is that the HoR Population was capped in order to keep it from growing into an unmanageable size. Some time in the past year (I think) I posted a thread and an article discussing this very point. Yet it remains that the '2 Senators per State' rule has never been any different. What changed in their regard is the manner in which they are elected.

PS: If anyone can find my earlier thread, I have been searching for it in vain for a while and I'd like to revisit it since the EC is still a 'Hot Topic' and I can't find the cited article.
                  gp

"What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men just can't be reached. So, you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants. The... I don't like it any more than you men."

Comment

Harvard better be careful or they will be getting compared to Trump U.

Is This Thing On?

https://soundcloud.com/tom-hicks888

Comment

Is there a race that hasn't accused another of racism? It's like an epidemic of accusers trying to find ANYTHING to whine & complain about. It's become a world of poor pitiful persecuted people.
                      ''All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"--Edmund Burke
                      Man created science to create what man wants science to create.

Comment

Working...
                      X