No announcement yet.

OT: Anyone on a gluten-free diet?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Anyone on a gluten-free diet?

All of Hoddy's posts about pizza in that Papa John thread got me to thinking...there are an awful lot of wheat products in my diet. Probably well above average, I would guess.

Weight is not an issue for me, but the documented links between gluten and inflammation is. I was told in 2006 that, due to the loss of cartilage from arthritis, I was a candidate for a shoulder replacement (but, the doctor noted, I was too young and would likely need to undergo a second one at some point in my life). I decided then to put it off indefinitely, as shoulder joints are far more complicated than knee joints, and the thought of having to go through that rehab even once was not something I wanted to experience.

So, here we are 12 years later and both my shoulders are pretty messed up. Naproxen (or Aleve, if none is available) works great for me, but I don't want to have to depend on NSAIDs too much going forward, so I've been giving some serious consideration to experimenting with a gluten-free diet.

Just wondering if anyone here has already done it....and I'm really curious if it's a difficult task to master for a big pizza enthusiast like myself.

I’m not. But the South Park episode about gluten was awfully convincing.
    My band!:
    www.steelphantoms.com/
    my stage stuff:
    fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

Comment

Originally posted by arcadesonfire View Post
      I’m not. But the South Park episode about gluten was awfully convincing.
      Damn, dude! I was thinking if anyone here ate gluten-free, it would have been you (no offense intended).

On a side note, a friend gave me a small jar of this as a present today:

It's a balm made from weed (1:3 parts THC/CBD). Shhhh! Don't tell anyone....it's not legal in NY yet. I was really skeptical at first, but I'll be damned if I didn't feel some significant results a few minutes after rubbing some on my right shoulder.

No wonder the pharmaceutical industry is so anti-medical marijuana!

Comment

Originally posted by bluzboy View Post

Damn, dude! I was thinking if anyone here ate gluten-free, it would have been you (no offense intended).

It's a balm made from weed (1:3 parts THC/CBD). Shhhh! Don't tell anyone....it's not legal in NY yet. I was really skeptical at first, but I'll be damned if I didn't feel some significant results a few minutes after rubbing some on my right shoulder.

I've been using something very similar. Mostly for my knees (both need replaced) and semi arthritic hands. Not legal here either

Comment

If you try the diet modification, I'd avoid some to the "gluten-free" products that try to mimic the real food. We are now seeing that sugar-free sweeteners are probably worse, health-wise, than the real deal. If an ingredient doesn't sound like food, it probably isn't.

I have other diet considerations. BTW, we are all on a diet.
          Last edited by thankyou; 07-14-2018, 07:25 AM.
          Amerussia Uber Alles!

Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Glaube!

Comment

My wife decided to try it so I did too. She noticed a big difference in mental clarity while I found the whole digestive process to be much more comfortable.

I believe the current wheat crop to be a problem for many people but we don't notice it until we stop eating it.
            "Isn't it a pity, isn't it a shame,
            how we break each other's hearts
            and cause each other pain"

Comment

I know a young man who lost 30 pounds in his first year at college, being sick all the time. It ruined his college experience and he had to drop out. Doctors later confirmed a severe gluten intolerance. He cannot even eat gluten-free good that has touched a gluten-contaminated surface.

There are some health issues that are bogus. Gluten intolerance is not one of them.

How many people actually have an intolerance and how many people think they do is another matter. People have a way of latching onto health trends for mental reasons.
              Last edited by Hoot Owl; 07-14-2018, 09:44 AM.
              George Washington was the man who never told a lie. Richard Nixon was the man who never told the truth. Donald Trump is the man who doesn't know the difference.
              Venezuela is what happens when you have Trump without the Madison.

Comment

Originally posted by onelife View Post
                My wife decided to try it so I did too. She noticed a big difference in mental clarity while I found the whole digestive process to be much more comfortable.

I believe the current wheat crop to be a problem for many people but we don't notice it until we stop eating it.

Great! Hope you don't mind a bunch of questions

Did you have any joint issues before you went on the diet, or have you noticed any improvement in movement since you gave up wheat?

How long have you been on the diet and was it tough to adjust?

What are some of your favorite wheat-free snacks?

thankyou ... I try to avoid sugar as much as possible--which has already made a huge difference in my weight. I'm not big on artificial sweeteners, either, but I do take one Sweet 'n' Low in my coffee and enjoy a Coke Zero every now and then; I don't think that's going to do much harm in the long run.

The biggest change I've made in my diet thus far as been cutting out sugary soft drinks and fruit juices. I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes in 2007; for the last 3 years my MD has said it's been in total remission (no need to continue taking the meds); my A1C was 5.4 on my last physical. And really....the only change I've made has been that. Also lost 40 pounds in that time (but I think much of that had to do with the Metformin I took).

Last edited by bluzboy; 07-14-2018, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Ha! Well, I do have medical issues involving inflammation, and there was/is a huge gluten-free trend in hipster Brooklyn, but at least while I’m relatively young, pills do the job for me. And I demand sandwiches be in my life!

But yeah, it totally blows that “big pharma” is anti-cannabis. When I was in the worst pain ever, waiting for the spine surgeon to return from vacation, I got a little somethin somethin that worked much better than the opioids they gave me. I dont understand why pharmaceutical companies don’t push for legalization and then attempt to innovate from CBD.
                  Last edited by arcadesonfire; 07-14-2018, 10:48 AM.
                  My band!:
                  www.steelphantoms.com/
                  my stage stuff:
                  fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

Comment

I may try that for my tennis elbow, thanks!!

Comment

I wonder why people weren't gluten intolerant back before gluten was even a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by nedezero1 View Post
                      I wonder why people weren't gluten intolerant back before gluten was even a thing.
                      They were. They just didn’t know the cause of their ailments.

what a silly thing to say. That’s like saying smokers who died of lung cancer prior to the discovery of the links between smoking and cancer suffered no ill effects from the use of cigarettes
                      Last edited by guido61; 07-14-2018, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post

They were. They just didn’t know the cause of their ailments.

what a silly thing to say. That’s like saying smokers who died of lung cancer prior to the discovery of the links between smoking and cancer suffered no ill effects from the use of cigarettes
                        Here's the real deal with gluten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oht9AEq1798

Comment

The only thing I can offer is, like with any other medical advice, keep an open mind.

I had a pain in my legs a few years ago and my doctor recommended I go gluten-free. I tried the diet for awhile and hated it and decided I’d rather deal with the pain. So I quit the diet and the pain eventually went away anyway and hasn’t come back.

so I’m guessing whatever the problem was, it had nothing to do with amount of gluten I was eating. And I’m glad I quit before the pain went away and I mistakenly attributed the “cure” to the diet I didn’t enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                          X