No announcement yet.

Limited Magazine Capacity

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limited Magazine Capacity

This idea has been put forth on numerous occasions as a part of 'common sense regulations' which would lead to fewer deaths by mass killers. I offer a somewhat different slant to this argument.

At the core is always the Second Amendment, but what if we were to apply the same suggestion to the First?

Were we to limit freedom of speech and press to oh, say ten words for example, would this sufficiently inhibit persons bent on making offensive remarks to such extent that they give up? Would it be worth the price to those having the same available arsenal but not using words in a harmful or injurious fashion in order to stop the minority who do?

I suspect as well as hope the answer is 'no' in both cases. But let us take a moment and consider this a bit more than just casually.

If every article in a newspaper, handbill or other publication was limited by law to ten words, 'Snoopy' would be a great author. I quote: "A man was born. He lived and he died. -The End". Wait a second! One too many words. REJECTED.

Opening ceremonies for events, acceptance speeches for awards... Newspaper and magazine articles... These would all immediately consume less bandwidth and far fewer trees would have to die a senseless death as a result.

'Perhaps it is time we look at the hard facts and confront this head on. Limiting the magazine size of speech is clearly a common-sense approach to solving this growing and worsening problem. And it will help solve climate change too.'

'Yet there is so much more to be done. My team has worked tirelessly to...' WHOOPSIE! Too many words. And life could be so much simpler, so who needs them?

Does anyone REALLY need to have more than ten words in their vocabulary? Tarzan only needed four or five to make his point. But what if Jane, Boy and Cheeta got together and limited Tarzan to three words? My guess is he would resort to a more primitive method of communication, possibly involving a cudgel (even though there would be no such word in this instance).

Which brings us back to where I (and most other discussions) began.
    gp

"What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men just can't be reached. So, you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants. The... I don't like it any more than you men."

If a killer writer is even taken down while reloading his ink cartridges, then get back to me and I’ll consider advocating smaller ink cartridges and not considering such an infringement on free speech rights.

Comment

Someone floated an idea either here or somewhere else.... how about a 800% tax on Ammo. Tax it like cigarettes.... $10 per round. Police and military are subsidized. Taxes go toward school security and education.

Target shooting could become a rich man's sport.
      so over this signature BS!!!

Comment

Twitter had a 140-character limit. That didn't prevent people (our President included) from tweeting offensive things. Logical equivalency fail.

Comment

I'm fine with a five or six round limit for firearm magazines.
          Guns Over People

Comment

• TIMKEYS
            TIMKEYS commented
            Editing a comment
            I am fine with the 15 the pistol came stock with
            Last edited by TIMKEYS; 02-25-2018, 10:36 PM.

Originally posted by wheresgrant3 View Post
          Someone floated an idea either here or somewhere else.... how about a 800% tax on Ammo. Tax it like cigarettes.... $10 per round. Police and military are subsidized. Taxes go toward school security and education.

Target shooting could become a rich man's sport.
          Ya let's make all our rights only available to those that can afford them, we take that pesky 2nd from the poor then the 1st and 4th, may as well reserve voting to the upper class too,What a perfectly UNAMERICAN way to think, quite sad and disgusting too.

Comment

• wheresgrant3
            wheresgrant3 commented
            Editing a comment
            Well... it's one way to helppoor people from making ammo and gun manufacturers rich. LOL How much ammo does one need? When the 2nd amendment was written it was intended for ball, powder and muskets. I bet frontiersmen were really careful about how they used ammo for hunting, defense of personal life and property.
            Last edited by wheresgrant3; 02-20-2018, 07:40 PM.

Just keep your distance of David Hogg, and hopefully nothing bad will happen around you....
          Bad things seem to be following him around...

Comment

Originally posted by Hoddy View Post
            I'm fine with a five or six round limit for firearm magazines.
            How do you feel about the use of words?
            Last edited by Grumpy_Polecat; 02-20-2018, 07:22 PM.
            gp

"What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men just can't be reached. So, you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants. The... I don't like it any more than you men."

Comment

The right to keep and bear typewriters shall not be infringed!

Comment

Originally posted by wasgtrjones View Post
                Twitter had a 140-character limit. That didn't prevent people (our President included) from tweeting offensive things. Logical equivalency fail.
                Twitter is a private enterprise.
                gp

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post

How do you feel about the use of words?

(That's nine, so I get one extra next time...)
                  Sticks and stones
                  May break my bones
                  But words will never hurt me.
                  Please send me evenings and weekends

Ed Phobes has taken music to a place where it has never been before, and will never go again. In my life, I have heard great music, and I have heard terrible music. Now I have heard this. Thank you. – sydfan

https://soundcloud.com/ed-phobes

Comment

First amendment is limited.
                    Dont shout “fire” in a crowded theater (unless of course, there’s a fire).
                    How do you feel about absurd analogies?
                    To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by SteinbergerHack

If you've ever fired a .50, you'll understand that ammuntiion isn't inexpensive to begin with.
                      As well as one's arms tiring as a result.
                      gp

Comment

Working...
                      X