No announcement yet.

Question regarding MAGA

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding MAGA

I'm 68 years old. I was born in the USA, grew up in a small southern town. Basically, it has always been my point of view that the USA was a great country. When I hear trump and his followers shrieking all this MAGA nonsense I have to ask myself, when and why exactly did this country cease being great? Did we stop being great because of desegregation, or gay rights, or because some people believe we've let too many non-Americans into the country? Is it something else that I'm completely missing? I know I may be trying to oversimplify the whole thing. Can someone tell me why they think this country is no longer great and why they feel big changes are needed to make it great again? Just for the record, I still think this country is great and if there's anything that makes me feel something is amiss, it's my opinion it's a result of more recent developments (like the last year or so). Sorry if this has been discussed before. I imagine it has but if so it's before I came back to HC.

Originally posted by Yakburger View Post
    I'm 68 years old. I was born in the USA, grew up in a small southern town. Basically, it has always been my point of view that the USA was a great country. When I hear trump and his followers shrieking all this MAGA nonsense I have to ask myself, when and why exactly did this country cease being great? Did we stop being great because of desegregation, or gay rights, or because some people believe we've let too many non-Americans into the country? Is it something else that I'm completely missing? I know I may be trying to oversimplify the whole thing. Can someone tell me why they think this country is no longer great and why they feel big changes are needed to make it great again? Just for the record, I still think this country is great and if there's anything that makes me feel something is amiss, it's my opinion it's a result of more recent developments (like the last year or so). Sorry if this has been discussed before. I imagine it has but if so it's before I came back to HC.
    You're trying to disguise projection with a question. Your examples point to an obvious predetermined reason why some folks want to MAGA.

Comment

Originally posted by nedezero1 View Post

You're trying to disguise projection with a question. Your examples point to an obvious predetermined reason why some folks want to MAGA.
      I'll simplify his question for you.

If you want to Make America Great Again, then you must feel that America is not currently great. Which begs the question - When and why did America stop being great?

Comment

America has always been great - in the eyes of Americans.

When I was growing up, I was taught that my country, not America, is the greatest country in the world.
        "Isn't it a pity, isn't it a shame,
        how we break each other's hearts
        and cause each other pain"

Comment

Originally posted by onelife View Post
          America has always been great - in the eyes of Americans.

When I was growing up, I was taught that my country, not America, is the greatest country in the world.
          well, you just happened to be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by HAMMER TOSS View Post

damn straight! if there's any confusion about this there was a documentary made back in 2004 called `team america:world police' by the noted historians trey parker and matt stone - i would suggest a thorough review of the many youtube clips available...
            __________________________________________________ ______________________________
            new sig currently under construction

Comment

Originally posted by BA.Barcolounger View Post

I'll simplify his question for you.

If you want to Make America Great Again, then you must feel that America is not currently great. Which begs the question - When and why did America stop being great?
              Well then he should've stated it that way.....

For me it's about how our economy has been working for the last few years. Quantitative easing was the only thing keeping things going and it's time was running out. You can't keep things at 0% forever.

I want the cushion if a 3% fed funds rate again.

And before you mention Obama, keep in mind only way to go from the bottom is up. Obama (and Bush) set the bottom and I give them credit for that. The ensuing intervention by the FR set the environment for a climb up the hole.

In my view...

Since Trump's election, enthusiasm and legislation has gotten us out of the hole and back on solid ground and we're tracking much better.

Oh and we're not apologizing for America anymore.

...and our red lines mean something now.

There's prolly more but I'm busy.

Comment

Originally posted by HAMMER TOSS View Post

I didn't say I believed it but, like the religion I was taught in school, I took it to mean that different people have different perspectives on the truth.
                "Isn't it a pity, isn't it a shame,
                how we break each other's hearts
                and cause each other pain"

Comment

We've always been a great country! That MAGA chit is just a mask for MAWA (make america white again)

This is how politicians get elected...
                  Step 1)
                  Pretend there is a problem,
                  Step 2)
                  Then brainfluck the weak minded into believing they alone can fix it!

However with tRump at the helm, we are now less great than we used to me. Hopefully a temporary situation.
                  tRump is a twidiot

Comment

I've always assumed that the"...Great Again" referred to the period of economic prosperity following World War 2. The "back in the day" period for Baby Boomers and rural conservatives around Trumps age and older. This was before the civil rights movements, but I'm not convinced that's what it's all about. It's a romanticized "golden age" of conservatism, and who doesn't want to go back to the way things were when they were a kid. Dad worked 40 hours a week at the plant and mom stayed home and took care of the chores and kids.

I don't think a lot of people realize that it took a war on 3 continents and over 20 million lives lost for this to happen. America became an economic superpower when literally all of the competition was in ashes.

Comment

The nonsense of MAGA is a symptom of a pizz poor social outlook. MAGA is a distraction for what needs to happen to actually improve America.

A almost hatred exists towards improving the quality of life is the new normal. Affordable healthcare? High quality education? Quality infrastructure? Work/life balance? Helping less fortunate? Security in personal affects? Freedom of/from religion? Clean safe environment? High quality public services? Personal safety?

All of these come in a extremely distant second to corporate margins. This is the core problem to the American decline. The decline isn't an economic rather it's a social decline. Politicians are great about providing lip service but almost never do anything to improve them. IOW, America is nothing but a corporate entity. The American people are an afterthought.

USA USA USA

Comment

it mostly has to do with jobs. and christmas.
                        imo

Comment

Originally posted by goodhonk View Post
                          it mostly has to do with jobs. and christmas.
                          I'm so glad Trump brought Christmas back last year. I was really missing it there for awhile.
                          Donald Trump: "There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea."

RobRoy: "There is an "honest grit" to his lying."

Comment

Happy Holidays

Comment

Originally posted by guido61 View Post

I'm so glad Trump brought Christmas back last year. I was really missing it there for awhile.
                              Is that the choice? I'll take jobs

Comment

Working...
                              X