Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Putting your political bias aside; If drug testing is a requirement for employment, shouldn't it be required for unemployment? Agree or disagree?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting your political bias aside; If drug testing is a requirement for employment, shouldn't it be required for unemployment? Agree or disagree?

What the Unemployment Drug-Testing Bill That Trump Just Signed Means for States

Now that Republicans have control of the U.S. House and Senate, they sent the president a bill, H.J.Res.42, that would allow for the rules to be rewritten. It's unclear, though, who would rewrite them.
    The legislation undoes an Obama-era regulation about who can be drug tested. States will likely get more say over the matter, but not just yet.
    Last edited by TrumpIsGreat; 01-03-2018, 10:54 AM.

Why?

Did you get fired?

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
      Phil O'Keefe commented
      Editing a comment
      Leave the personal comments out of the discussion please Bluzboy.

TrumpIsGreat, report and ignore instead of taking matters into your own hands please.

• TrumpIsGreat
      TrumpIsGreat commented
      Editing a comment
      I did report it, but ok! I just tried to give this person a chance, but I will just stop and report.
      Last edited by TrumpIsGreat; 01-03-2018, 11:32 AM.

• bluzboy
      bluzboy commented
      Editing a comment
      "iggy"

Originally posted by TrumpIsGreat View Post
    If drug testing is a requirement for employment, shouldn't it be required for unemployment?

Sounds like that's already covered: Virtually all states already disqualify a person for unemployment compensation if they lost their job because of drug use.

And the old rules already allowed for states to drug test when: they worked in an occupation "that regularly conducts drug testing," such as directing air traffic or jobs that require use of a firearm.

So which drugs will they be testing for under the new guidelines?
    Last edited by guido61; 01-03-2018, 10:59 AM.
    Donald Trump: "There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea."

RobRoy: "There is an "honest grit" to his lying."

Comment

• TrumpIsGreat
      TrumpIsGreat commented
      Editing a comment
      I personally don't know what drugs are on the current list of illegal substances. I do remember having to go to a certified company and get tested, while they watched me take care of my business without messing with the results. I wasn't worried about the results as much as I was being able to let the stream flow while some stranger watched me in a mirror. :>) I am kind of shy that way.
      Last edited by TrumpIsGreat; 01-03-2018, 11:13 AM.

• guido61
      guido61 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, if we don't know which drugs and under which circumstances, and seeing that those fired for using drugs are already exempt and testing is already allowed for those who previous worked in jobs that required testing, then I'm going to have to say that your question, at the very least, requires more information to answer and, most likely is kinda moot.
      Last edited by guido61; 01-03-2018, 11:44 AM.

no.

1 drug testing is not universally required for employment.

2 what difference does ti make what someone does while unemployed?

Comment

The law that was passed simply allowed for executive branch rules to be rewritten.

It did not change any actual rules or institute any requirements for UI recipients.
      Last edited by BA.Barcolounger; 01-03-2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Where’s the mandatory “original content” here?

Comment

Does this new bill include welfare recipients, because I just love working my ass off so subhumans can lay around doing drugs and breeding lol!

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
            Phil O'Keefe commented
            Editing a comment
            "Subhumans"???

Isn't that what the Nazis called Jews, Slavs, and people of color?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untermensch

• Warhorse
            Warhorse commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry for the confusion, my definition is color blind and refers to people that have no idea what an alarm clock is or how to act like a decent human being.

• Phil O'Keefe
            Phil O'Keefe commented
            Editing a comment
            Fair enough - but just because someone might be lazy, that doesn't mean they're subhuman.

Again, that's a tern that's associated with Nazism, and as such, I'd rather not have people using it to describe other people here on HC.

“In some cases, recipients have exchanged benefits for drugs, weapons, and other contraband,” she said. “When trafficking occurs unchecked, families do not receive the intended nutritional assistance, and unscrupulous retailers profit at the expense of the American public.”
          That is a quote from another article that was published a while ago. As I see it, if a person wants to abuse the system for themselves, well, that is one thing, but if it means their children go hungry because of it, well that is completely another thing. So, it can't hurt to require spot checking.
          Last edited by TrumpIsGreat; 01-03-2018, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Your entire OP is all C&P from off-site.

Please put your own comments and thoughts in your posts, and not just images and/or text that you sourced from another site.

FYI, you can post a quote or short segment of an off-site article that is relevant to what you want to discuss or that illustrates your point, but please don't post anything in its entirety, or even the bulk of the article; providing a link (like you did) allows people to reference the rest of the article (and any quotes you used from it in context) if they wish to do so.

Thanks.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
            - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
            - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
            - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Also, as a suggestion, you could have used what you put into your title... I would have recommended "Drug testing and unemployment benefits" for the title of the thread, then posted the links as you did, and posed the question that you posed in the thread title in the body of the post. That would have been sufficient to fulfill the rules, let everyone know what you wanted to bring up, and get the discussion going.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
            - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
            - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
            - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

• TrumpIsGreat
              TrumpIsGreat commented
              Editing a comment
              Sure thing, the title pretty much spells out my stand, but hey, anything to get the conversation going.

“In some cases, recipients have exchanged benefits for drugs, weapons, and other contraband,” she said. “When trafficking occurs unchecked, families do not receive the intended nutritional assistance, and unscrupulous retailers profit at the expense of the American public.”
            What is this a quote from? It doesn't seem to be from the article you cited in the OP.

What does nutritional assistance (I'm presuming this is the EBT program) have to do with state unemployment insurance?
            Last edited by guido61; 01-03-2018, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• TrumpIsGreat
              TrumpIsGreat commented
              Editing a comment
              https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...drugs-and-guns

Here is the title of that particular link. ' IG: Welfare Recipients Traded Food Stamps for Cash to Buy Drugs and Guns'

Hope that helps you.
              Last edited by TrumpIsGreat; 01-03-2018, 11:52 AM.

• guido61
              guido61 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the link.

Not seeing the relevance though. What does that have to do with the OP?

This should probably have its own thread. It's a completely different topic.

Originally posted by Warhorse View Post
            Does this new bill include welfare recipients, because I just love working my ass off so subhumans can lay around doing drugs and breeding lol!
            Probably not since it is about state unemployment insurance. It probably doesn't include Social Security, Medicare or being allowed to play on the city softball league either.

Comment

Originally posted by Warhorse View Post
              link to studies showing that those who receive welfare are 'subhuman', please.

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
                Phil O'Keefe commented
                Editing a comment
                Give him 24 hours and if you don't get the link you requested (or a retraction / restatement as opinion) please flag the post and let me know.

• Warhorse
                Warhorse commented
                Editing a comment
                Of course it was opinion ffs!

When i worked for IMC in the 90s (then parent company of Charvel/Jackson) a sign by the timeclock said we will NEVER drug test out employees. Who were a bunch of musicians, so...

Is This Thing On?

https://soundcloud.com/tom-hicks888

Comment

TIG, I'd be interested in your opinion on this subject. I recall you telling us in a couple of different posts that you use marijuana.
                Not suggesting that you collect unemployment but how (in your opinion) should that affect someone who does?
                Would this apply to states like Alaska and Washington, Colorado and California where marijuana is legal?
                And what about alcohol? Responsible for so many on the job and highway accidents, domestic abuse problems.
                Is it really different than drugs?
                Are all drugs the same?
                Can we outlaw booze?
                I'm looking for a simple solution I can print on a bumper sticker.
                Originally posted by Hoot Owl;n32354094
                If there were things available to make Trump look good don't you think he would have released them by now?
                To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

Comment

• TrumpIsGreat
                  TrumpIsGreat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  See post #8

• RogueGnome
                  RogueGnome commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Really? That's your answer?
                  I can't find anything in post#8 that addresses...
                  Would this apply to states like Alaska and Washington, Colorado and California where marijuana is legal?
                  And what about alcohol? Responsible for so many on the job and highway accidents, domestic abuse problems.
                  Is it really different than drugs?
                  Are all drugs the same?
                  Can we outlaw booze?
                  (But your response would fit on a bumper sticker)

• TrumpIsGreat
                  TrumpIsGreat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am not sure what you are asking me, if you want to know about the law you could ask gov.com, not me, as for my personal experiences, they are mute, and as for my thought about the subject (i.e.the thread), see post #8.
              Working...
              X