Small DIY tour promo checklist

BATCAT

• Moderators

We're an independent pop/rock band doing a short West Coast tour at small-to-meduim sized venues in May. We're doing San Francisco->Eureka->Eugege->Portland->Olympia.

So here's our promo plan:

*Send print press (mostly free weeklies and the like) a kit (cover leter, onesheet, and CD) and then follow up a couple weeks later with emails (with EPK) to the calendar and music editor contacts for each paper

*Send kits to all independent radio in the area. Follow up with email mentioning the show.

*Send info about the show and EPKs to any relevant regional blogs, also mention all they need to do is let us know they're interested and we'll send out a kit/CD

*Add carefully targeted friends (friends of bands we're playing with, friends of venue, music geeks, etc) on MySpace for each city. Post bulletins about shows as they approach

*Bug any and all friends in each city about coming out

OK... am I forgetting anything?

:idk:

• Moderators

College stations would be worth a shot too...

Good luck, and have fun!!

Word. That's definitely included in the radio bit!

Thanks, guys! It seems pretty thorough to me, but I though it was possible I was forgetting something obvious.

• Moderators

Don't forget the KY for the financial reaming you'll get!

(J/K) Hopefully, one of you has a credit card for emergency use. These can be really handy.

Guess how I found this out?

Have fun!

Thanks! Last time we did a five-or-so date mini-tour we ended it in the red, but only just slightly. I was ok with that considering we were a very new band, and we also didn't promote it as well as we could have.

We fit everything and everyone into a rented minivan, had a place to stay almost every night, kept the distances between shows short to reduce gas spending, and ate at the venue when they gave a discount.

This time it's a little more complicated... we're flying down to SF and meeting up with another band (who are doing a slightly longer tour). We're sharing gear and the idea is to fit all the gear and people into a 12-passenger van. We'll head up the coast playing shows together. Although this is all more elaborate to set up, it also means we're working together to pool all of our promo resources. They're good friends of ours, so it will also be more fun I think.

Anyhow, check on the credit card. I hope we won't need it!

• Members

Leave Nevalar alone on MYspace.

Seriously though arrange to have a flyer online for anyone to download and print. If you are doing a targeted myspace friend add then you could mention the ability to print out flyers for each of your shows and hand out to friends etc.

I doubt too many if anyone will actually do this but the idea is sound and who knows maybe someone will do so for one of the shows and it will be standing room only. Now that I thought of the idea I need to think on it more and maybe write about it. If you do this let me know how it turns out. As is I will be turning to my list of over 1000 artists to find someone to do this.

Archived