Music Biz and prolific ability

CLOCK13

• Members

It depends on so many things. The guy who writes one "Stairway to Heaven" is going to be a lot more successful than the guy who writes 100 dippy songs that go nowhere.

Assume the majority of music the prolific artist makes is high quality.

• Members

That is correct.

Then I'd say the person who consistently writes hits will make more money. The other songwriter who writes a hit once every blue moon will make money as well, but will not have as many opportunities to capitalize on for financial profit. Nevertheless, I don't think any of that has any bearing on whether or not one's songs will become classics.

• Members

I wouldn't expect it to matter that much, because major labels promote hits one at a time (even they were all released at once, such as on a single album). More people will remember a good song played a hundred times than a hundred songs each played once, repetition drives hits into the charts.

• Members

In some genres someone who makes beats is considered a producer and in other genres it can mean other things. What about career opportunites for a producer/composer? You could pretend I said producer or composer and answer the question the same way. ( And by producer Iwill refer this time to the definition given by sabriel9v above.)

• Members

Here's what I think it comes down to with the music business: there is never a guarantee that you can make any aspect of it into a career.

What you can do is just do what you love to do and see if it catches on. If you are enthusiastic about what you do and do it with dedication, there is the possibility that you will meet the right people or be in the right place at the right time, and it will work out for you as something that can become a career.

There is also the possibility that it will not catch on for one reason or another, in which case, it will just be an enjoyable hobby. Either way is not too bad of a way to go... I just think you can't really depend on or expect a career in the music business.

For some reason, growing up, it seems that we are all given this idea that if we just go to college for something or if we just study and learn enough about something, that we can do it as a career. But there are other factors at play, which we have very little control over, such as innate talent, personal charisma, and being in the right place at the right time.

While it is certainly helpful to learn a lot about the things we are interested in, I think the one thing that really brings people closer to success is a sincere dedication to what they are doing because it is just what they love doing. If you are doing what you love, then you learn new things by the necessity of furthering your ability to do what you like doing. From there, you just have to see what happens.

Archived