Making my band a corperation

• Members

My bass player is obsessed with this and trademarking our name, he says it'll save us problems in the future. I say we may break up in six months and I'll be out hundreds in fees. My main concern for getting started is to gig, gig, gig. In the process now of getting together a press kit. Am I right in wanting to gig first and worry about the big time after developing a following or is my crazy bassist not so crazy. thanks for the help.

• Members

well he's semi crazy. your band doesn't need to be a corporation. trademarking your name however is a good idea. Instead of making your band a corp. start a record label. your record label doesn't need to be a corporation either, unless you plan on doing some shady {censored}. then since you're a corporation YOU can't be held liable, only the corporation. Basically this means if someone sues you they can only take what the company has and not one thing of your personal property, or cash for that matter. But a corporation costs more money per year unless you have some definite big plans lined up so you'd be better off starting as a partnership. this way, with your own label, you can release bands if you want or just keep it for yourself and if/when a major finds you they very might well make you a subsidiary.

• Members

Making your band a business/corporation isn't altogether a bad idea. Think of a contractor, or LLC (limited liability company). That's why they do it, to keep themselves separated from the business.

The problem is that you are going to have to do a lot of work to establish it. I do see the benefits where legalities are concerned tho. Depends on the level of gigging/work you do.

For me, it's not at all necessary, but if you're a really busy working band and you need the protection, it's not altogether a bad thought.

Archived