Do ASCAP, BMI, SESAC work internationally?

• Members

I live in Turkey. I write songs of which lyric language is English and I want to market this songs internationally. Can I get copyright by paying these corporations?

Or must I work with only local copyright corporations?

• Moderators

Copyright filing has nothing to do with the Performing Rights Organizations. There is no actual international copyright, and laws vary from country to country.

The PROs will manage royalties from international sources, and you can learn more about how each one handles that on their individual websites.

• Members

I've read Copyright 101. I saw there are some forms.

Forms

1) Copyright Form PA :

2) Copyright Form RA :

3) Copyright Form SR :

Where do I find these forms and who do I the forms transmit?

Thank you very much for your answer by the way.

• Moderators

copyright [not copywriting, that is a job, not what you want to do]...

There are certan overlaps in copyright laws from country to country, and you can likely file a copyright in Turkey and in the USA...but there are many places where foreign copyright law observance is questionable [China comes immediately to mind...].

Keep in mind that for US copyright law, filing is a technicality. The moment the work is put in a 'tangible form' [written or recorded], the copyright exists. Registration with the Copyright Office is a 'legal formality', if you will, to prove a time for which the copyright can be definitively said to be in effect, and not really a protection per se; you may still need to go to court to dispute potential copyright infringement, even though a filed registration exists.

Archived