So, I just created a revolutionary idea to form a band, and I need your guys' input

• Members

An Internet-wide (worldwide) band try out campaign to recruit musicians to form a band. It’ll be promoted as an opportunity for young, creative, and aspiring musicians to join a band that’ll eventually become one of the greatest and iconic bands on Earth. It’ll be similar to answering a traditional musician wanted ad, but on a much grander scale.

To properly select the right musicians, the genres of music that the band will play will be displayed, and people can record themselves covering songs, submitting their own songs, submitting lyrics, submitting themselves jamming over a recorded backing beat, etc.

To convince people to trust my talent as well as traveling away to fully join the band, I'll connect them with industry insiders and record labels that I've been in contact with, I'll fully display my music chops, my bio and role in the band, my vision I have for the band, and my finances. Establishing music chemistry before the band members move here will also he a top priority. Half of the musician’s total traveling expenses (visa, airline travel, luggage) will be paid for, no matter the distance.

From the start of the band’s hiring process up to the band’s debut album release and beyond, people that are casually interested in the band, along with the musicians that won’t make it, will be able to follow (and share) the band’s progress through music releases, live show recordings, band updates, etc. which will eventually establish a growing fanbase as the band matures.

Goals:

• Work with viral marketing company to help establish campaign

• Have a place for the band members to stay, work, and rehearse

• Work with a record label, to convince them to show interest in the band if the campaign generates hype

• Work with a company that specializes in creating internet campaigns to make this become a big thing around the internet.

• promote this on colleges campuses, music venues, etc etc throughout the world

• Develop an easy, yet high-standard try out method, to find out who are great songwriters

• Moderators

yeah, um, good luck with that...what are you going to do when you get over ten thousand submissions per genre?

Frankly, if you already have the contacts in the industry, and the money to transport and house these top notch players, then you would already have put together a project and hired studio musicians.

Nice dream though.

• Members
yeah, um, good luck with that...what are you going to do when you get over ten thousand submissions per genre?

Frankly, if you already have the contacts in the industry, and the money to transport and house these top notch players, then you would already have put together a project and hired studio musicians.

Nice dream though.

right, but I'm looking to revolutionize the way a band is formed for the stated reasons above

• Members

Before you can change a thing, you must know a thing.

Sounds like you're trying to build a football team. That takes a big chunk of cash and a way of marketing it that makes money. Schools are willing to do that for sports teams because they make a school money.

Nobody pays to see musicians in school so they don't have the same kind of support structure. Pro ball teams can pack every stadium for big bucks per ticket. Unless you are a music star, packing stadiums is very difficult to impossible, especially in this economy.

But say you did get this off the ground using the old school template that used to exist with recording companies, song writing guilds, musicians unions, and live show venues. Whose going to be in control of the money. Whose going to pay for it if there was any money.

The reason those things have failed is because the kids in college want everything for free. They don't buy their music, they steal most of it., They don't go to concerts because they cant afford $100+ tickets. So where is the money coming from? Whose going to pay the people you plan on organizing.

What makes your system better than the system that already exists.

Lastly you have the musicians artists themselves. Many want to be independent and don't want anything to do with that kind of structured system because they already learned how record companies or any central control structure can rip them off. Even if that utopian system did work they don't want that competition because it cuts into their profits.

Musicians are Jealous gods when it comes to their art and when you threaten their livelihood they will fight back. Most think and work independently. They know art requires freedom of expression and you cant turn that into a factory and control what they envision as art.

Like I said, that's been done in music and the movies and those empires fell because they failed to change with the times and produce what people wanted. Part of being an artist is being what you call a hungry musician who seizes every opportunity he can. Its what makes him strong and its what makes him protect his art is having done it himself.

a good 99% of musician never see the big bucks and may 90% never earn a dime, but they should be given the respect deserved. Hollywood still makes it look like the big companies do it all for the musicians.

I'm still waiting for one movie that shows the truth and how it really operates today so kids aren't lead down that fantasy Yellow brick road that has a pot of gold at the other end. They wont though, because it robs them of control. They want musicians to be stupid and actually volunteer to be slaves to the industry.

If the truth was actually known, you would likely have a good 75% of aspiring musicians quit and go into other businesses as a careers. Practically nothing from the old model exists any more and nearly all, including the recording industry is made up of independent operators. How this will change in the future is highly questionable.

One thing that shows no signs of the horizon is going back to an old failed model. Something totally earth shattering would have to happen. A great depression, a country full of uneducated people, new media, no laws or regulations, and no taxes. Those things were in play when the rise of the big movie and big music companies appeared. Now there's nothing left but a shell of that previous empire. record companies aren't even needed. Musicians can sell their albums to any online outlet themselves or to places like Wal-Mart if its profitable for that company to sell it. Record companies are for the most part no longer exist and the ones that remain, may give you a bank loan at high interest if you're already making money.

• Moderators

Goals:

• Work with viral marketing company to help establish campaign

Viral Marketing is a crapshoot at best...

• Have a place for the band members to stay, work, and rehearse

And you are paying for this how? KickStarter?

• Work with a record label, to convince them to show interest in the band if the campaign generates hype

Record label? This is the biggest fallacy so far...they are collapsing, not expanding.

• Work with a company that specializes in creating internet campaigns to make this become a big thing around the internet.

Please name some of these companies, as this is a crapshoot as well

• promote this on colleges campuses, music venues, etc etc throughout the world

And who is handling this worldwide promotion?

• Develop an easy, yet high-standard try out method, to find out who are great songwriters

Again, what about the tens of thousands of tryouts? It could take years to weed through them.

I reiterate...nice dream. Practicality level...nil...zip...zero...nada chance...

Face it, you have not 'created a revolutionary' anything. You came up with an idea that has more holes in it than the Albert Hall. Explain how you plan to accomplish these goals in detail, don't say you will find a company that will make it happen, that is just kidding yourself. Be the company that does all this, that would be revolutionary.

• Members

I reiterate...nice dream. Practicality level...nil...zip...zero...nada chance...

Face it, you have not 'created a revolutionary' anything. You came up with an idea that has more holes in it than the Albert Hall. Explain how you plan to accomplish these goals in detail, don't say you will find a company that will make it happen, that is just kidding yourself. Be the company that does all this, that would be revolutionary.

Right, so:

Viral Marketing is a crapshoot at best...

It's what is needed to have this campaign spread throughout the internet on a mass scale.

And you are paying for this how? KickStarter?

95% of my income from my job will go into this project

Record label? This is the biggest fallacy so far...they are collapsing, not expanding.

They're still needed for up and coming bands.

Again, what about the tens of thousands of tryouts? It could take years to weed through them.

That's a legitimate point. We'll need to definitely create some sort of cap per county, or something.

• Moderators

I'm afraid your laboring under some misconceptions. 'Upcoming bands' that get signed to major labels generally have already promoted themselves up to the national level. Labels no longer nurture acts, they take over the marketing when the act is big enough to make htem money.

Viral marketing...well, no one can guarantee something will go 'viral', and anyone who does is a charlatan. The whole beauty of 'viral' is that it is unpredictable. Many people make the mistake of thinking the internet is one huge cohesive thing, but it isn't. It is a jillion little interconnected things, in hundreds of languages, with different restrictions in different places and to my knowledge no one has truly figured out how to really successfully market anything worldwide via the net.

Apparently you make a whole lot of $ if you plan on surviving on 5% of your income.

Spend some time reading through the threads in this forum. There is a wealth of real world knowledge here which may save you a lot of trouble.

• Members
I'm afraid your laboring under some misconceptions. 'Upcoming bands' that get signed to major labels generally have already promoted themselves up to the national level. Labels no longer nurture acts, they take over the marketing when the act is big enough to make htem money.

Viral marketing...well, no one can guarantee something will go 'viral', and anyone who does is a charlatan. The whole beauty of 'viral' is that it is unpredictable. Many people make the mistake of thinking the internet is one huge cohesive thing, but it isn't. It is a jillion little interconnected things, in hundreds of languages, with different restrictions in different places and to my knowledge no one has truly figured out how to really successfully market anything worldwide via the net.

Apparently you make a whole lot of $ if you plan on surviving on 5% of your income.

Spend some time reading through the threads in this forum. There is a wealth of real world knowledge here which may save you a lot of trouble.

Right, so in regards to major labels:

The plan is generate hype (worldwide hype) for the band through this large band-try out campaign, you know.

The campaign will get people interested - people who want to join the band, and people curious to see how a project like this would turn out; both of those groups could spread hype. As the process continues, it could attract hype from blogs and what not, which would in turn generate more and more hype.

Though yeah, making it all pull off would be a major challenge - working with the right viral company, etc

• Members

Sounds like some reality tv show to me... Call it, the band... No, weight, that names been taken... BTO, KISS.... business ventures and marketing hype... How is this revolutionary? Johnny rotten and teh sex pistols.. Same thing... Clever? Absolutely? But revolutionary? Perhaps our definitions don't coincide...

• Members

Almost forgot, I know a band that was formed over the interdnetts that has been going at it for several years now... Top notch act! If I'm not mistaken they have members from several different places on the planet, (and perhaps beyond!!!)... But since I'm on an ipad about all I can do is tell you to google Anubis Spire...

• 8 months later...

Archived