opinions on odd (C) issue ?

halfnote

• Members

The Dealio: In the past, working with a partner, we composed numerous songs. Most were either clearly created by one or the other. A few were very mixed. We're currently at odds (over completely separate, non-musical issues).

My intent is to use some of those compositions for a project that would involve copyrighting them, assigning publishing, etc. Most are clearly my creations in terms of lyric, melody, etc., involving, at most, the former partner's chord progs &/or ideas for title, all non-copyrightable things.

However, I'd like to include him as co-author as a gesture of respect (& to avoid charges of rip off). I could just leave him out & be on solid legal ground as author.

What's yer opinion on © &/or publishing material without someone's previous aggreement to be listed as co-writer ?

• Moderators

Respect and $ are mutually exclusive in any business.

If you put his/her name on the copyright filing, and you have no contractual agreement, then they can certainly expect 50% of any related income.

Submit the songs under your name if you are certain that the other person's input was after the lyrics and melody were finalized. As you know, arrangements are not part of the copyright unless you are filing a SR.

• Members

In this particular case, everything except some chord progs & song title ideas are mine; lyrics, melody, everything & recordings would all be new.

The problem is I want to be fair to an old friend & not exacerbate animosity by excluding them.

Archived