ISRC questions

gubu

• Members

Hi MusicBiz forum,

I'm a regular on a few of the other forums here, and haven't had any reason to trouble this one until now!

Apologies if this has been covered here before, but my searches couldn't find anything on these specific questions.

-The first thing I'm wondering about is, what is the difference between me generating the ISRCs for my songs, and letting a distribution company generate them? I've been offered distribution, and the company can work either way, either I generate the ISRCs, or they do. At the moment, I see no reason not to just let the distribution company generate the ISRCs, but could this be problematic in the long run, if I decide to take my songs elsewhere?

And

-If I decide to get the ISRCs myself, what is the best way to encode these into the master WAVs/mp3s? Does it work to simply enter the ISRCs into the 'comments' field in iTunes 6, or do I need a dedicated ID3 Tag editor?

-Also, I have no idea what other information needs to be encoded to ID3, besides Artist, Song Title, Album Name. Should the PRO reference numbers for the tracks, writer ID numbers and producer ID numbers be included with this type of metadata?

This is all completely new to me, so apologies again if it's all been covered here before.

Thanks in advance for your replies :)

Archived