Band Names

yyyames

• Members

formed a music project never really thought of a name while practicing etc. Some of the names decided upon are either taken and the one we really like is an old disbanded band. I'm curious how you all felt about still using that name even if they are disbanded and in another genre.

• Members

I don't really think it's a big deal. Some pretty big bands took the name of an already established band. Skid Row is one that immediately comes to mind (they stole that one from Gary Moore of all people). Ghost, the occult rock band that has a lot of buzz right now, obviously isn't the first Ghost to exist. Nirvana was an old UK band from the 60s.

• Members

True story: I've been working with a couple for a few months toward a trio. They live down the street from me. For some years now, I've called my bands, when they existed, and my website etc. North Alley (my house backs onto North Alley and I think it's a great name for a Canadian band). The couple came over to rehearse a few weeks ago and the husband said he'd thought up a great name for the trio....

yep

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by daddymack

View Post

seriously, you guys are so creatively bankrupt you can't come up with an original name?

“Every other name is taken. Think of a great band name and Google it, and you’ll find a French-Canadian jam band with a MySpace page.” - John Paul Jones

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by daddymack

View Post

seriously, you guys are so creatively bankrupt you can't come up with an original name?

Uh well I was wondering how people felt on the subject. Come up with stuff and play the google game yourself. Anyway the name we were thinking about was Pink Floyd or the Doors biggrin.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by yyyames View Post
Uh well I was wondering how people felt on the subject. Come up with stuff and play the google game yourself. Anyway the name we were thinking about was Pink Floyd or the Doors biggrin.gif
Just dont use the name Creatively Bankrupt wink.gif

Some bands i have worked with in the past have taken name from cult hit films, and just tweaked them a little.

I always think if a band decides to drastically change genre, or work on different projects they should always change their name... that is my opinion tho.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived