Gangnam Style

YeahDoIt

• Members

“Gangnam Style” is the most viewed music video and I read that the song is at the top of the itunes and Billboard charts but I’m not hearing the song played on local radio stations. Have any forum members heard “Gangnam Style” on the radio?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by YeahDoIt

View Post

“Gangnam Style” is the most viewed music video and I read that the song is at the top of the itunes and Billboard charts but I’m not hearing the song played on local radio stations. Have any forum members heard “Gangnam Style” on the radio?

No, because, separated from the video, it's totally worthless as listening material. tongue.gif That, and I never listen to music radio anymore.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by YeahDoIt

View Post

Certain Top 40 stations are playing it. Here in Los Angeles, KIIS FM 102.7 and AMP Radio 97.1 play it in regular rotation. We also have a considerably large Korean American community here in L.A. (the largest Korean population outside of Korea). I think the "Gangnam Style" meme is awesome, it truly makes music an international language. If you only listen to music for the lyrics, you just don't get it.

• Members

Another amazing thing about Psy's "Gangnam Style" success is that he is probably the world's biggest artist without an official physical album release. His album (actually EP), PSY 6 (6 Rules) , and his 5 previous albums, are only available in South Korea and perhaps a handful of other Asian countries. He has no album in stores in the US (Though he's working on a full-length international release come 1st Quarter of 2013. Of course, the EP and the "Gangnam Style" single are available for download via iTunes.

• Members

This may be the only song I've ever seen where the buzz surrounding the song is bigger than the song itself. It's the musical equivalent of Paris Hilton, a celebrity who is famous for......well, being famous.

This song is like that. Virtually everyone knows about the song.....but far fewer people actually know the song to the point where they would recognize it if they heard it.

And the so-called "dance" that goes with it.....from what I've seen, it's not even a dance. It's just a guy who clearly doesn't dance moving around in a vaguely dance-esque manner.

Here's my take on the whole phenomenon:

I think a bunch of PR/marketing guys got together and decided to see if they could manufacture a worldwide craze out of nothing. They selected some generic, formulaic club song by a nondescript artist was virtually unknown outside his home country.....and they created a huge media blitz that announced to the world, "Hey, kids! This is the new song and the new dance that have been sweeping the whole world!"

Of course, nobody had ever heard of the song or the artist....but since nobody wants to be left out of the latest craze, people bought it hook, line, and sinker, and started jumping on the bandwagon.

IMO, it's modern-day payola with an "Emperor has no clothes" spin. They took a very generic product of little or no substance, and tried to turn it into a worldwide fad simply by pitching it as such.

And so far it seems to be working.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by n9ne View Post
I think a bunch of PR/marketing guys got together and decided to see if they could manufacture a worldwide craze out of nothing.
Um, that's what PR/marketing guys have been trying to do for, like, the last 100 years. It's not so easy to pull off.

The video got 1 billion views because it's amazingly {censored}ing good. I don't think you have to look much deeper than that.

• Members

I've heard it once on the Top 40 station.

IMO, the video has gotten so many views because it has been discussed on every newscast and talk show for months (the only time I've actually seen it is on TV). It started out as a joke, and the song is catchy enough to stick in your head and the dance is amusing, as well. It's the Macarena of 2012.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by n9ne View Post
This may be the only song I've ever seen where the buzz surrounding the song is bigger than the song itself. It's the musical equivalent of Paris Hilton, a celebrity who is famous for......well, being famous.

This song is like that. Virtually everyone knows about the song.....but far fewer people actually know the song to the point where they would recognize it if they heard it.

Dude, the song is in {censored}ing KOREAN. You think people will confuse this for another song? Give me a {censored}ing break.

And the so-called "dance" that goes with it.....from what I've seen, it's not even a dance. It's just a guy who clearly doesn't dance moving around in a vaguely dance-esque manner.
You're clearly a guy who doesn't know who PSY is. He DOES know how to dance and in fact performed with MC Hammer on TV not too long ago. And he did way more complex moves than just the "Gangnam Style" dance. People went nuts over that:

(Skip to 2:49)

Here's my take on the whole phenomenon:
No you're just some white dude like Bill O'Reilly who doesn't get it (YouTube his reaction to "Gangnam Style," it's very similar to yours), and is upset that some Asian dude is getting famous, because he doesn't fit in any stereotype of yours.

• Members

I think it caught on because the guy is obviously having a blast. It's like if you're in a room and people are laughing, it's hard to keep from laughing yourself. When I first watched Gangham Style, it was just plain fun. Fun is good smile.gif Actually, most French dance music from the 80s is fun. On, it's not French? Or from the 80s? Hmmm...maybe it's time for a revival.

He also doesn't look like a pop star, he's chubby, and supremely confident. Combine that with disposable pop having not one but several catchy hooks, and four-on-the-floor...he was in the right place, at the right time, with the right attitude, and the right delivery system. More power to him. smile.gif

• Members

Plus it's a really easy dance to do and not look any worse than him doing it, so that makes it even easier to be universal. As I understand it, "Gangnam" is a ritzy neighborhood in Seoul and the song is about making fun of the people who live there. I think that spirit of mocking comes through regardless of the language.

• Members

It's a novelty tune, with a fun dance that goes with it. Every now and then, a song like this catches on with the mass public. Not the first time it happens, and it probably won't be the last. Historically, fads like these have quickly come and gone. Only offensive if you believe it's an indication of where music as a whole is headed. The novelty is the appeal. Repeat it too often, and it's no longer a novelty.

I admit, I don't quite get why the joke has caught on in such a huge way, but I do understand that it was meant as a joke. People like to laugh. And dance. To suggest it somehow takes away from more "serious" music is kinda like saying Adam Sandler is keeping James Cameron from finding an audience.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kurdy

View Post

It's a novelty tune, with a fun dance that goes with it. Every now and then, a song like this catches on with the mass public. Not the first time it happens, and it probably won't be the last. Historically, fads like these have quickly come and gone. Only offensive if you believe it's an indication of where music as a whole is headed.

Goes back at LEAST as far as the Hokey Pokey. Which I STILL get requests for on occassion.

Archived