Who's willing to share some tough love?

• Members

Alrighty,

I've managed to pull a bunch of reputable music companies together to collaborate on building a decent package of stuff for DIY artists (i'm not trying to promote it...). I just wanted some tough love from you guys - last time I made one of these packages, I got some very harsh but incredibly useful feedback from this forum which I (hope) has made this one a bit better.

Here's the link: http://themusiciansguide.co.uk/epic-deal/

PLEASE hit me with your first impressions or reservations. More than happy to give anyone who offers good feedback a free copy of the pack when it launches.

Marcus

• Moderators

first: this loads slower than HC! eek.gif not good...wink.gif
make the presentation vid larger...and maybe move it around (that greenspace background is a tad 'bleaghhh'...)
assuming you will get more endorsements, that black band is okay, but for now, with only two, it is a lot of wastes screen area; stack it on the left (for now) to allow more room for the real information.

• Members

I'm very active with promoting my music----meaning, I'm your target audience. So, let me tell you what I think.

I would not got for this package you're selling.

1. StageIt VIP package: strikes me as useless. Most of my fanbase is international, meaning that I can't play live shows for them easily. But I view the "pay to watch me stream from my laptop" model as off-putting to fans. I also think something like a stream of a live performance should be free, the way that huge festivals are often streamed on YouTube. Streaming from my bedroom? No.

2. Dovetail strings "endorsement." This is actually the reverse of an endorsement. Instead of the company paying me to say "I use these strings," I am now supposed to pay the company for THEM to say "niceguy uses these strings." This strikes me as the same as "promoters" who charge you huge bucks to play at their venue where you have to bring your own friends, but then they have nice lights and a stage and you can feel like a STAR (even though you paid for it and you filled the room with your friends).

3. Crowd.fm. Um, OK. I'm supposed to pay someone to update my Facebook and Twitter with my show dates? Am I so busy that I can't take 45 seconds and do it myself? Also, I MUCH prefer handling social media myself, because a personal update from me will ALWAYS be better than a generic paid update from a bot. I can picture it now: "NICEGYU PALYING AT SOCIAL CULB APIRL 4! VISIT CROWD.FM FOR ALL YOUR PROMOTING NEEDS! CROWD.FM IS THE BEST MARKETING TOOL FOR BANDS! MAXIMISE YOUR IMPACT TODAY! USE CROWD.FM!" Yeah, I'm sure my fans would love to see that on their Facebook news feeds.

Anyway, just being totally honest. Who knows, maybe I'm in the minority on this one.

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by niceguy View Post
2. Dovetail strings "endorsement." This is actually the reverse of an endorsement. Instead of the company paying me to say "I use these strings," I am now supposed to pay the company for THEM to say "niceguy uses these strings." This strikes me as the same as "promoters" who charge you huge bucks to play at their venue where you have to bring your own friends, but then they have nice lights and a stage and you can feel like a STAR (even though you paid for it and you filled the room with your friends).

Anyway, just being totally honest. Who knows, maybe I'm in the minority on this one.
No, I think you're correct, particularly regarding this 'endorsement'. I have had a few gear endorsement deals over the years, including strings, and I was given free strings, stickers for all my gear (since removed), and was asked to occasionally demo for them. No biggie, until the demo requests got out of hand...it wasn't really their fault, they just didn't realize how big Los Angeles is.
I also agree about the streaming, as there are streaming services which are free, but post advertising in the margins, banner, etc., in order to monetize their service. There are existing pay-to-view streaming services, and I have noticed that many fail rather quickly...in some cases because logging your credit card to an 'iffy', fly-by-night service turns most people off. And I also am with you on controlling your own social media updates. I think it would be fine if they give you an approval/pre-read/edit. But I am very anti-bot (if you saw the spam I clean out of HC daily, you'd know)

Archived