The World's Highest-Paid Musicians 2012

VinylFan

• Members

The World's Highest-Paid Musicians 2012

This year’s list has a distinctly international flavor. Among the top five, only Dr. Dre hails from the United States. Pink Floyd rocker Roger Waters ranks second with $88 million, nearly all of it coming from his The Wall Live tour. According to Pollstar, he grossed $158 million on 63 shows in the first six months of 2012. Fellow Brit Elton John claims the third spot with $80 million, culled from over 100 shows in our scoring period.

• Moderators

in the olden times (60s-80s), the $ came from record sales, and tours were largely just a dog and pony show to generate sales. It also got the band out onto radio stations doing interviews etc., which was a big part of the marketing plan back then. That was then...
Now, take someone like Roger Waters, or the Stones...the dinosaur/legacy acts...no one buys their new material, but us old farts will part with $100+ to see them in some giant stadium because we know they will be dead in a few years...put them in a place like the LA Coliseum (capacity ~ 93,000), sell 60,000 tickets at $100 each for two shows and you just made a gross of $12,000,000...not a bad deal for a few day's worth of set/up/perform/teardown and off to the next giant stadium...

• Moderators

in the olden times (60s-80s), the $ came from record sales, and tours were largely just a dog and pony show to generate sales. It also got the band out onto radio stations doing interviews etc., which was a big part of the marketing plan back then. That was then...
Now, take someone like Roger Waters, or the Stones...the dinosaur/legacy acts...no one buys their new material, but us old farts will part with $100+ to see them in some giant stadium because we know they will be dead in a few years...put them in a place like the LA Coliseum (capacity ~ 93,000), sell 60,000 tickets at $100 each for two shows and you just made a gross of $12,000,000...not a bad deal for a few day's worth of set/up/perform/teardown and off to the next giant stadium...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by daddymack View Post
..the dinosaur/legacy acts...no one buys their new material, but us old farts will part with $100+ to see them in some giant stadium because we know they will be dead in a few years...
*This* old fart (I'm 58) would much rather see a decent local band performing new music at a dive bar for a $5 cover than to pay way too much (IMO) money to be several hundred feet from a stage where someone older than me performs music that I've already heard (often, not by choice) several thousand times in the past four decades.

I don't understand the fascination with "classic rock" (gawd, I hate even the term...).

Fortunately for the big-concert business, I'm not representative of many "old farts"... ;-)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by daddymack View Post
..the dinosaur/legacy acts...no one buys their new material, but us old farts will part with $100+ to see them in some giant stadium because we know they will be dead in a few years...
*This* old fart (I'm 58) would much rather see a decent local band performing new music at a dive bar for a $5 cover than to pay way too much (IMO) money to be several hundred feet from a stage where someone older than me performs music that I've already heard (often, not by choice) several thousand times in the past four decades.

I don't understand the fascination with "classic rock" (gawd, I hate even the term...).

Fortunately for the big-concert business, I'm not representative of many "old farts"... ;-)

• Members

I'm with TDD- I've heard every rollings stones tune overplayed on radio that I don't ever want to hear them again, much less pay a small fortune to sit in the nose-bleed section.

I paid $20 for general admission to see this group at the TLA. I was in the front row, literally 10 feet from the person filming this: (and it was an amazing show, one of the best I've ever been to)!

• Members

I'm with TDD- I've heard every rollings stones tune overplayed on radio that I don't ever want to hear them again, much less pay a small fortune to sit in the nose-bleed section.

I paid $20 for general admission to see this group at the TLA. I was in the front row, literally 10 feet from the person filming this: (and it was an amazing show, one of the best I've ever been to)!

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kramerguy View Post

Personally, I'm with you guys. My wife (and her BFF) is the one who wants to see these shows 'before they are all dead'...I managed to talk them out of going to see Clapton for $300 a seat...rolleyes.gif But I'm spolied...Woodstock was my first concert..everything has been somewhat anti-climactic since. I was in the fifth row when they filmed Hell Freezes Over....so I'm really not happy sitting in the rafters looking at a giant video screen.

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kramerguy View Post

Personally, I'm with you guys. My wife (and her BFF) is the one who wants to see these shows 'before they are all dead'...I managed to talk them out of going to see Clapton for $300 a seat...rolleyes.gif But I'm spolied...Woodstock was my first concert..everything has been somewhat anti-climactic since. I was in the fifth row when they filmed Hell Freezes Over....so I'm really not happy sitting in the rafters looking at a giant video screen.

Archived