Are CDs old hat?

maarkr

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The only reason that I would make a CD these days is because people come up to me and ask if they can give me some money for one (or more).

Of course, the promoter/full-time booking lady who lives next door and probably buys 100k worth of talent a year won't talk to folks who don't have a legit "looking" CD.

But then that's all stuff for live performance, and I can't comment on how you run your business without gigging.

• Moderators

You have to have something to sell people at your show while the alcohol and excitement is still in them. idn_smilie.gif

Currently we sell conventional CDs, USB thumb drives, and USB jewelry. Our next experiment will be to sell a "MP3 CD" which has the advantage of being able to hold both albums on it plus some vids and pics, while greatly reducing our cost. Whatever we use is just a MP3 delivery system anyway, and you can't get much cheaper than a burned CD.

I'll let you guys know how this goes.

Learning a lot using Jango too, I'll start a new thread about that soon.

Terry D.

• Members

Depends if your'e the artist or the listener. As a market, vynyl is doing just fine. There are still untold thousands buying, trading and listening to vynyl, same can be said of the CD, overall though, I think the download delivery system is the reigning format for sheer qty. Until they come up with a Blu-Ray type of format for audio,

ultra high def. 24 bit 96khz fidelity as standard,

fidelity will only matter to collectors, engineers and artists. Content is what counts now, and the people buying music will suffer MP3 cause alot of the now generation kids don't know any better.+ It's relatively cheap.

Electronic distribution works well as a scale because of the reach of it's branches, locally, CD short runs are still probably required and the preffered method of starting, getting and keeping a buzz going.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by maarkr View Post
If I'm not doing live gigs and selling CDs, I'm thinking going all electronic and skipping the CD production route?

After the initial rush of your finds and family buying the songs, you will be lucky to sell one download a month.

I perform a moderate amount, probably 10 nights a month minimum. I sell on average one or two CDs a performance. I also have stuff on CD Baby digital distro as well as on Tunecore, two albums. And I'm lucky to get a few downloads a month. Now, granted, I don't promote very hard, an my stuff is geared for an older fan base who is less computer savvy and less liable to go online to find music.

But the fact remains, the internet is a go to medium: That is, if people want to hear you, even if you give them a link, they still have to log on, type your link into their browser, look you up and simple your music. Even among the young, it's asking a lot of the consumer. With CDs, they're displayed while I'm playing and people come up to the stage and see them and buy one. Now, all they have to do is open it and put it in their CD player on their way home.

CDs are not the hot commodity they used to be, but depending on your demographic, not having one can mean you lose sales and lose listeners. The other bad thing about online sales is that you are competing literally hundreds of thousands of other unknown artists trying to be heard. With CD sales at live performances, if you're performing well you might get a lot of impulse buyers. I've sold as many as 13 CDs at one sidewalk gig. They cost me $2.50 apiece to make and I sell them for 10 dollars. That's almost 100 more dollars in profit and 13 more people who have my music.

Without hearing your stuff, if you plan on not having a physical product and not making physical appearances, you will likely not sell much if anything.

• Members

I buy 20-40 CDs a year, strongly dislike MP3s, usually listen to music in my car or on my home stereo system (both of which play CDs but not MP3s), am often away from my computer, rarely listen to portable music players and don't have iTunes installed on my computer. Just my baby boomer $0.02.

• Members

The compact disc is not an old hat, and an earned dollar is an earned dollar.

I have one client, a pianist and he is also my piano tuner, he presses his own CDs and he sells them at the places where he plays, in bars and restaurants.

He sells about 500 CDs per years, and I did just another CD for him two months ago. The profit is pretty good as side income. I press him 500 CDs for $900, he sells the CD for $20 and makes a profit of $9100 in one ear. His piano playing is a romantic renaissance/ baroque kitsch and people like it.

• Members

I put all of my music on Youtube for free. I couldn't sell it if I wanted, but I used to have people ask me how much my CDs were when I gave them out. CDs get neglected, thrown about, scratched, and aren't worth my money.

I don't buy CDs anymore, and partly because I can't afford them. I buy used vinyl.

• Members

Worldwide sales of CDs declined in the last ten years. Today in the markets with hi-speed internet access, up to 90% of the sold music is bought digital online. But the compact disc is still an important factor, not at least because in some markets a CD costs $29, and classical CD even more.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStrat View Post
You must be in Europe. Getting more than 10 dollars for a CD here is like pulling teeth.
Even in China some CD cost $40 bucks, for example small pressing of classical music, some even 50 bucks. And a 24-bit flac download cost also in the US over $30.

Apart from that, you, the owner of the music makes the price when you sell CDs at your concerts.

On Europe CD cost between $15 to $ 45, depending on the genre and profit calculation of the record company. We even have CD boxes where the single CD in it costs $85.

Those artists sell the most who make the music many people like.

That's not different when you are an entertainer who performs in a bar, restaurant and so on.

• Members
not at least because in some markets a CD costs $29, and classical CD even more.
You must be in Europe. Getting more than 10 dollars for a CD here is like pulling teeth.

Here's why I like CDs still:

I'm playing out, let's say I'm at a street fair. A patron comes up and says "wow, I really like your stuff. Do you have any CDs?" Now, I could hand them one and say "it's only 10 bucks and you're supporting local live music!" or I could say, "yeah, go home, get on your computer, (or if they have an iphone) and log onto www.patcoast.com, click on 'recordings', and preview the tracks and click 'buy'". Assuming, of course, you're signed up."

Which scenario do you think is more likely to result in a sale?

I still sell stuff online. I can't see the advantage to any artist limiting his revenue stream.

• Members

It all depends on the situation...I know of an original band that has opened for national acts and even had their originals played on the radio, but even after making a really good sounding album and burning a ton of "real" discs with the jewel case and professionally done insert and all that, just like what you would;ve bought at Strawberry's or Tower Records or Best Buy back in the day, they've probably only sold 10 that weren't to friends and family who only bought them cuz they felt obligated...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Napoli Stiletto

View Post

He sells about 500 CDs per years, and I did just another CD for him two months ago. The profit is pretty good as side income. I press him 500 CDs for $900, he sells the CD for $20 and makes a profit of $9100 in one ear. His piano playing is a romantic renaissance/ baroque kitsch and people like it.

Sure, people like it and he makes a profit, but does it just go in one ear and out the other?

• Members
Apart from that, you, the owner of the music makes the price when you sell CDs at your concerts.
Well, sure, but setting a price and selling are two entirely different things. I can charge whatever I want, but getting it is the challenge. The going market rate for CDs here is about 10 bucks. Even new release top selling artists are only getting about 14 dollars here. Imports may get a bit more. See for yourself:

http://www.amazon.com/b/?ie=UTF8&nod...l_73jhj0871i_b

http://www.tower.com/

http://www.wherehouse.com/music/spec...re-top-100.jsp

• Members

Yeah. They are old hat. But if you want something tangible to sell people - pay the money and make CDs. If you aren't performing live regularly - it's probably not a good investment. But whatever. If it's what you want and you don't depend on this {censored} for your bread and butter who gives a {censored}.

But what's funny is there is no just one thing - one answer. It's like... MP3's come along. Great. They're MP3's. CDs still have a place. The guy said he still listens to CD's in the car- exactly. Me to. No being cheeky about it. CD's sound better in a car than MP3's. I still listen to the radio too. Radio's been around for more than 100 years. These things don't replace eachother. They co-exist. They're just not like they used to be. People still pay money for sheet music, right? Sheet music was the MP3 once upon a time. Does it make sense for you to get your songs printed up as sheet music? Of course not. But as a CD? Sure. Why the {censored} not. Just don't spend more money than would piss your wife off. There's no upside in any of this {censored}ing {censored}.

• Members

Both CD's and downloads are viable. if you tour you will cell CD's

Most of my guitar students never purchased a CD in their lives. Everything they do is from an online source.

The real key here is the music and the promoting. So many bands sell to family and friends and not much else,

If the music is good people will buy it and word will get around.

I have engineered and produced many projects and the good stuff eventually sells. By good stuff I mean the music and the artists themselves. It is a crazy business and everybody and there brother can make a record now, and it sounds like it too.

Don't be in a hurry, believe in what you do and never give up OR just have a great hobby

Good Luck

• Moderators

I just thought when I would do that job as entertainer in a bar, on the street or whatever, I would sell USB sticks with the music on it in MP3, 16-bit and the 24-bit masters, and that for $30 bucks.

except no one on the street (or in a bar/restaurant/club) will pony up $30 for a flash drive that may or may not have data on it... ;)

Archived