is it wise to have CDs or DVDs made in China when replicating over 10,000 copies?

samal50

• Members

I haven't really done my research on if it's cheaper to have products made in China (or overseas) than have it made here in the U.S. I would think it is for as long as it's a bulk order (10,000 copies or more). Just look at Wal-Mart?

• Moderators

Polycarbonate is polycarbonate...and replication machines are all basically the same.

Make sure you get a complete fulfillment job done in China; cost of printing inserts, as well as the replication is much cheaper than stateside; just make sure they show you digital proofs on line.

Keep in mind that what you save on the cost of production will be absorbed in the cost of transport...and shipping from China to the US can take 3-5 weeks by ship (to the West Coast), and airfreight costs are prohibitive.

Make sure you get the glass master, mother/father stampers, too, so you could do smaller runs elsewhere...although 10,000 is a lot of discs...what are you going to do with the 9,000 you have left over? ;)

Archived