Sites to find musicians. NEED HELP!!!

mom

• Members

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to find serious musicians to populate an original rock/hard rock band and I'm not sure where to look next. I've been through the usual suspects in my home town and I'm done with the jokers on craigslist. There's gotta be a pay site or something for musicians looking to join or start a real project. I need some guidance and any help would be so appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mike.

Naylor Super-Drive 60

Vox AC50 ('64)

Hiwatt 4x12 H's/30's ('79)

FrankenStrats

http://www.reverbnation.com/knivesarequiet

• Members

Some people swear by BandMix.com to me it's as much a crapshooot as Craigslist.

I've found Craigslist to be a decent place to find people, and it's pretty much the most common denominator. Success with CL is simply writing better ads, and also timing- a really great musician might fall out of his/her band tomorrow and start looking and pick up on your ad from last week, but if he drops out next month, he probably won't see it. But again.. the quality of your ad means everything. The best people are already in bands. Some may be considering leaving, but only if they see it as an upgrade. Having an ad that really speaks to the target is the most important part of it all. Being able to back up your ad with a project that really IS that interesting also means a lot.

Start-up bands are especially difficult to get off the ground, as more than half never make it out of the garage, and seasoned players know this. Originals bands especially have a hard time finding paying gigs and have a higher fail rate than cover bands (IMO).

I would have to be pretty amazed by an ad to even consider it. For instance, I would expect to see links in the ad to be able to listen to some of the original music ideas and also know all the details up-front like age range, goals, that you have a plan to achieve those goals, expectations, connections, experience, gear (PA, monitors?), etc..

And even if it all looked spectacular, I would still be hesitant to leave a gigging band to join a new project. Expect to travel a long and difficult road, and have a plan. If you don't have connections for gigs (and constantly expand them), that would be a good place to start. You will meet plenty of like-minded musicians through those connections.

I personally don't care for open-mics anymore just because I rarely have found anyone with real band experience, and teaching someone in a live band from the ground up how to change everything they know is overly-daunting IMO.

• Moderators

This sums up every response I've received.

Yeah, well, sorry, but that is the way of the world...but here's the thing: how much time are you willing to invest in the hunt? How many music stores/bars/clubs/rehearsal studios are in your area? What age range are you looking for? What genre of music ("rock/hard rock" has a lot of space in it...influences?)? How serious is 'serious'? You can spend a lot of time hanging out at music stores, etc., talk to the people who work there, put up notices, do the CL thing, BandMix, Musicians Contact, Music Mates, Musicians Page...but you need to figure out how you are going to entice these people.

Maybe you should be looking for an existing band that needs what you do, and that does the kind of music you are into.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived