In light of our recent discussion...

BlueStrat

• Members

The author accuses people of erecting a a strawman.

"we need to protect the right for the musician to get paid." That implies -- falsely -- that anyone discussing these alternative business models believes that the content creators have no right to get paid.

Well I think that argument is the real strawman. What does he think is going on when people enact laws that "protect" a business? They are defining the moral structure of a business model and protecting it's status in the eyes of the law. Copyright licensing holds the same weight in a court of law as a Patent. PERIOD.

There is only one way to make money in a free market: Product/Producer/Consumer. And it is the Govt's job to step in when outside forces come in and delineate fairness. Anti trust laws....should just dump them too? Or does the fact that those laws were fought for mean that the people who created the trusts didn't want the people hurt by the trusts to make money? What does that have to do with anything? It's a non-sequitur.

Look, I'm all about new ways of doing things, and I want the gov't out of my business. I'm conservative that way. But when they say this:

We just think that -- like everyone else -- they should earn it not by some sort of welfare/tax/licensing program, but through making use of business models where open and willing transactions are made.

That is COMPLETELY disregarding the meaning and definition of what a legal license is. A license is not a tax. Nor is it welfare.

Between the obfuscating of the meaning of what a license is, and his subtext argument, HE's the one erecting the strawman here......

• Members

Some good posts in that discussion. Good to see many people have stopped complaining and are getting on with the making of music. Not condoning piracy, but at some point you've just got to move on...

Didn't know there are countries taxing blank tapes/CD's. Sounds like just about the worst anti-piracy initiative I've heard of. Penalizes legit users, no way to distribute the money fairly, high management costs, not taxing harddrives and other storage devices. Wow :facepalm:

Archived